Cz550 sight question

AHughes

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Ducks unlimited
On both of my 550s a 375hh and a 416 Rigby both shoot high on irons using a fine bead style of shooting which makes me ask this ,,,, does a 6o'clock hold have any bad drawbacks ? I usually adjust all my lever guns with irons to shoot with a fine or half bead over my target and I've read several people say their 550s shoot high too , now I know not any iron is gonna be out of the box perfect for anyone and I don't mind getting a shorter front sight or filing my rear leaf down a bit I have some smithing skills but I just half to think was it intended to be a different hold for different game ? Maybe a better sight picture w 6o'clock hold or is my mind just over thinking this

I am not a fan of a 6 o'clock hold. If you want to resolve the issue you actually need a taller front sight. This will lower your impact. They can be purchased at New England Custom Guns. Good luck!

Yes your right I misspoke taller front is more like it lol ...

How high at what distance - (mostly out of curiosity)?
Back when I shot some with iron sights (not doubles), I really liked a "flat tire" 6:00.

Well the reason I really asked may seem silly but I just purchased a little crickett 22 for my girls and their learning to shoot and doing mighty well and when reading the instructions the 6 O'clock was what they were showing as the hold for a youngster to use which I thought was a little hard to explain to a 6 and 7 year old but after seeing them ring a little 1" gong at 40yrds im rethinking my old ways

I actually prefer the peep sight that mounts to the rear scope mount I got from NECG
I've been eyeballing that peep for a couple years now I just haven't pulled the trigger , my 35 rem and 45-70 Marlins run peeps but I shoot a bunch of hogs on the run at close range and more of a ghost ring than peep seems better for snap shots but Im trying to learn my irons better and these cz's been driving me batty

I would have to try on an 8" Bullseye at 200 just for fun.

I actually prefer the peep sight that mounts to the rear scope mount I got from NECG
THIS.
Many more experienced hands here have commented on peep sights for real world results. I concur.
As my bad eyes get even older, and worse, an aperture (a ghost ring aperture, .190 diameter) works a lot better. Paint the front sight white, yellow, red, whatever works for you (like your favorite woman, but I like brunettes), in the field.

White front sight works for me. A fiber optic red front sight is great as well.

Flat tire 6 is that like my half a bead hold maybe?
It's been awhile, but for me it was something like halfway between the bottom edge of the black and the center X on 8" Bullseye or gong. 200 yards.

Edit, my front site was a thin post.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is a 6 o'clock hold?

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is a 6 o'clock hold?

this:

D039C484-D129-4FCA-8E8E-95749E76C225.jpeg

I've never liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
In shooting clubs, and hunting courses we are trained for this type, 6 o'clock hold.

I think that 6 o'clock hold is better for target shooting, because of the contrast between target rings, and sights, and sight will be preset accordingly to the distance required, with specific ammunition.

For field use, in hunting I would prefer standard hold from above scheme. (center scetch)

Combat hold, will allow more drop and still keep a hit in center mass, most probably the best option for wide range of distances for military personnel.

I must say, that I have never seen factory sights to be zeroed for out-of-the-box-brand-new hunting rifle. Some sights are adjustable, so thats fine and easy to adjust.

Non adjustaible sights, will need to be fixed.

On the two rifles that I had, with non adjustable sights I played with my gunsmith and friend at the range, we were changing the front sights till we found one with good height to have zero on target at 50 meters. that's good enough for me, for hunting rifle.

Iron sights for me are only back up, and would be used in short range situations. Driven hunts or similar. Scope is the main sighting system for me, and I dont hunt long range. I had occasional shot at 200 meters, majority of hunitng shots at around up to 150 meters, in average

Well the reason I really asked may seem silly but I just purchased a little crickett 22 for my girls and their learning to shoot and doing mighty well and when reading the instructions the 6 O'clock was what they were showing as the hold for a youngster to use which I thought was a little hard to explain to a 6 and 7 year old but after seeing them ring a little 1" gong at 40yrds im rethinking my old ways
Young eyes are a marvel.

Open iron sights can be tricky as there are many versions. With these I prefer a 6 Oclock hold as in the old Lee Enfield 303 square sights, as shown above. The M98 Mauser ones I gave up on. The Peep sight I prefer to have the front sight sit where I want to hit, as in cutting the bullseye.

On the CZ 550 I put a taller front sight on so I could use the NECG Peep sights. If the peep is off and I revert to the issue sights I have to stand the 200mt leaf up so it shoots to point of aim.

Peeps may be my next purchase, if I'm gonna buy a taller sight anyway might as well measure her up for the peep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.