CZ 550 upgrades are back

Let’s keep the AHG DGR in 404 Eye Candy going!

View attachment 392842
Here is mine. I purchased it in December after dreaming about one for a while. Was purchased/built by it’s original owner in 2013, I’ll be taking it on its first ever hunt in ‘22 for a Buff.

@angelo ... Did Wayne at AHR build yours?

The reason I'm asking is, while the front banded sights and hoods look identical, the rear express sight on yours appears to be a different type than the one he installed on mine. Was just curious as to what make was used. Thanks.

Here's a couple more of mine for comparison:

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Here is a pic of my CZ in 375 I had Wayne do an upgrade on.

Yeah, your rear express sight looks like mine. I think it's called an 'island'-type of sight.

Maybe it's the lighting in Angelo's photo, but that express sight looks more like the machined 'ramp' sight with one standing and one folding blade that Ruger machined to the barrels on their (now defunct) line of high-end M77 Magnum and Express rifles.

Here's a pic of my old Ruger Express rifle in .30-06:

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

My pics don't show the express sight very clearly, so here's a better pic. Not mine ... It's an old M77 Magnum Exp. in .375 H&H:

IMG_1036.JPG

Last edited:
I was at Matrix yesterday, met Tim. Great guy to do business with thus far, 110% confidence in them. We spoke business and bullshitted alittle. My son's rifle is there for a #2. I believe they will be offering some additions to the standard CZ upgrades. My son and I have a rifle each from AHR, looking forward to dealing with Matrix. John

@angelo ... Did Wayne at AHR build yours?

The reason I'm asking is, while the front banded sights and hoods look identical, the rear express sight on yours appears to be a different type than the one he installed on mine. Was just curious as to what make was used. Thanks.

Here's a couple more of mine for comparison:

View attachment 392889
View attachment 392890

The 1/4 rib was an add on, they are listed on the AHR site as an option. It’s on the build sheet for my rifle as well. But I agree, a pretty rare option and I didn’t see another one in my search.

Your rifle is a beauty! I need to have a photo shoot with mine now that the weather is better.!

The 1/4 rib was an add on, they are listed on the AHR site as an option. It’s on the build sheet for my rifle as well. But I agree, a pretty rare option and I didn’t see another one in my search.

Your rifle is a beauty! I need to have a photo shoot with mine now that the weather is better.!
'Quarter-rib'! Thanks! Couldn't remember the exact term!

That's the style of rear sight on my Ruger '06 Express, and what Ruger machined on their Magnum Express rifles.

That's really the only 'upgrade' my .404J needs. I like a quarter-rib style better than the 'island' type. Looks more traditional for an 'African' DGR, being similar to those quarter-rib sights on the rifles built by the Old School masters - Jeffrey, Rigby, WR, et. al.

I agree, I love the classic look! I was about to have an integral barrel machined and spun into a Model 70 action, then I found this one already done. Cheaper and faster that building a rifle, and from a proven builder. Win win.
I’m glad I bought it.

View attachment 392842

Here is mine. I purchased it in December after dreaming about one for a while. Was purchased/built by it’s original owner in 2013, I’ll be taking it on its first ever hunt in ‘22 for a Buff.
VERY nice rifle! I am glad to see it has the crossbolts in it for the stock, always a good idea. As far
as the looney tune folks go, there were a few, but like most places, only in certain areas!

I was at Matrix yesterday, met Tim. Great guy to do business with thus far, 110% confidence in them. We spoke business and bullshitted alittle. My son's rifle is there for a #2. I believe they will be offering some additions to the standard CZ upgrades. My son and I have a rifle each from AHR, looking forward to dealing with Matrix. John
Hi John, sorry I missed you, I had to go take care of some business. Thank you much for your trust!
Hopefully I'll see you when you pick them up.
Jerry

View attachment 392842

Ooooof. Did you get that from Michael Merker? Beautiful gun.

Yup, that’s the one!
Beautiful gun! Thought that was it. Makes me sick. :). I agreed to buy it from the owner and next thing I know he said he was going to send it to Michael to have it checked out. Then he had Michael sell it for him. Man, I looked for that exact rifle for a looooong time! Congrats and enjoy it!

Beautiful gun! Thought that was it. Makes me sick. :). I agreed to buy it from the owner and next thing I know he said he was going to send it to Michael to have it checked out. Then he had Michael sell it for him. Man, I looked for that exact rifle for a looooong time! Congrats and enjoy it!

Really? Small world! You know Gustav? When I asked for the AHR build sheet it had his name on it,a friend of mine knows him and I got the back story on it’s history.

Wish he still had the synthetic stock with it!!!

If our paths ever cross, the Ammo is on me, you can shoot it!

Really? Small world! You know Gustav? When I asked for the AHR build sheet it had his name on it,a friend of mine knows him and I got the back story on it’s history.

Wish he still had the synthetic stock with it!!!

If our paths ever cross, the Ammo is on me, you can shoot it!
Man, just saw this. I spoke with Goose (Gustav) quite a few times. Seemed like a really good guy. I try not to get emotional about guns or stocks, but this one burned! Haaaaaaa. Great rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg