Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Got an email back from CZ USA to my requesting info on the 550 line. Reply states it is not being discontinued, but they are dropping the Safari Classic labeling. Rifles in existing cartridges will be continued to be produced.

They no longer are imported into Australia, replaced with the new push feed line (557?). I think that fed some of the rumour around them being discontinued.

Mind you Australia just stopped having the last blackpowder substitute imported in so I'm up shite creek with my inline smoke pole now. And the importer also refused to bring in Barnes muzzeloader projectiles too.

So we have a habitat of stopping good products from entering the country.

Yeah, just the standard, 30-06 length "550 Medium" has been discontinued. IE the old BRNO 600 sized action. The BRNO 602 sized "550 Magnum" is still being produced and the action can even be purchased separately as a component from Brownells and the like.

Attachments

• Screenshot (532).png
    Screenshot (532).png
    79.2 KB · Views: 288
And then there is this:

https://cz-usa.com/product/safari-classics-magnum-express-rifle/

Is there a difference between the two?

Answering my own question, the discontinued one says "Customer built to customer specifications" and the still current ones don't. Also, some calibers have been dropped. It looks like the .500 Jeffery is gone.

Attachments

• Screenshot (533).png
    Screenshot (533).png
    81.8 KB · Views: 736
  • Screenshot (534).png
    Screenshot (534).png
    90.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot (535).png
    Screenshot (535).png
    63.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
So in short, if you want a big mag, good to go. Standard calibers, no.

Interesting video on the Canadian Rangers, of whom I was unaware, which I found while watching reviews of the CZ557.

Last edited:
Hogpatrol, I really hope you are correct! The 550 in magnum calibers can really be made into a superb gun at a reasonable cost. It would be great if the .404J was added to the product line!

FYI, you guys replying yesterday or today may not realize that the original post (and title) by Hogpatrol was from November 2019...

CZ confirmed at SCI in February 2020 that the CZ 550 is out.

See https://www.africahunting.com/threads/is-the-cz-550-gone-or-not.55123/#post-620204
Latest information...

I am right now in Reno at the SCI show and I have personal friends in both CZ USA and Triple River Gunsmithing.

Here are the facts as related by these sources:
  • CZ as eight times (8 X) more business in pistols than in rifles.
  • CZ has stopped production of ALL 550 actions and rifles.
  • CZ USA does not have any - zero - CZ 550 medium length (30-06) actions left.
  • Whatever CZ 550 rifles are offered by CZ and existing dealers, in shops or on line, is all there is. There will not be any more after that. Period. By my rough count on Gunbroker.com etc. a few months ago, it seems like there are less than 1,000 African caliber rifles for sale in calibers .375 , .416, .458 in the USA.
  • CZ USA has ~100 magnum length actions with .375 bolt faces and ~25 actions with .416 Rigby bolt faces left for custom builds at Triple River Gunsmithing.
The CZ 550 is gone friends, and I wager that it will be dearly and sorely missed.

Last edited:
i have two cz 550 american,s, a .375 amd a 6.5x55 and they are not going any where soon.

DSCN0021 (2).JPG
DSCN0022 (2).JPG
DSCN0023 (3).JPG
DSCN0024 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I called CZ and asked what they had left and if they were done.

Answer is, they are done with magnum rifles. They have many actions in stock you can buy, or they can build finished guns. They have two magnum actions, one they call "Rigby" which I think is 416 and up.

In stock, they have 416 Rigby, over 25 guns. And 458 Lott, over 25 guns. They had a similar amount of deluxe wood models in one of those calibers or the other.

They aren't going to run out soon I don't suspect. If you want a 416 or a Lott, might want to get one while they are in inventory though. I'm sure that in 12-18 months they'll be all done and people will be paying $3000-$4000 for new in box guns second hand.

Does anyone know, if they sell what is left on stock with cz559, does that mean that magnum actions in 375 HH and up are gone forever, not even in some of forthcoming lines, like cz 557?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg