Current Ammunition Availability

It seems increasingly difficult to find modern factory ammunition for many of the classic British double rifle cartridges, e.g., 450/400, 450 NE, 470, 500 NE, etc. Of course, awhile back there were crazy runs on .22LR, 9mm, .223, etc., but this a different situation. Are Hornady, Norma and others just not producing such loads or is there hording going on here as well? After all big doubles are being built every day, not too mention the used market. I hand load so it is not a real problem for me, although brass can be an issue. So, what's going on out there?
Loads of Hornady .450/.400 just came in stock. .470 has been fairly available most of the time. Go to www.ammoseek.com to check availability.
Philip

20 retailers currently have .450/.400 and 4 selling .470 on ammoseek.

Ha! Ha! "Maybe next week". That was six months ago! LOL. I should have bought a .338 Lapua. That ammo is available EVERYWHERE!
.338 Edge has been making inroads in to the .33 caliber line. Brass and bullets have been available.

.338 Edge has been making inroads in to the .33 caliber line. Brass and bullets have been available.

What I have seen is them more unpopular rounds here in the US that are sitting on the store shelves, that is except for ammo for the AR platforms, that ammo is all over the place and in bulk.

I walked into a store last summer that had AMMO painted on their window. They had quite a few 375 HH, .416 Remington, 458 Win and other rounds that most in this area don't shoot. But then again none of that ammo was priced below $150 if I remember right. They had zero of of popular hunting calibers such as 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag, 30-06, 270, and others that you will find in the deer and elk woods.

20 retailers currently have .450/.400 and 4 selling .470 on ammoseek.
Yup. For the 450/400 it appears they're all DGS/FMJ. Awesome. For the hand loader, you're golden.
If you're after DGX or something along those lines, and you don't handload, well, not so much.

Yup. For the 450/400 it appears they're all DGS/FMJ. Awesome. For the hand loader, you're golden.
If you're after DGX or something along those lines, and you don't handload, well, not so much.
Yes but I am sure more is coming. there was none for months and boxes on GB going for up to $300 now at least there is some. Ill use DGS for practice then have Barnes loaded.
Keep watching and be patient is all I can offer.

What I have seen is them more unpopular rounds here in the US that are sitting on the store shelves, that is except for ammo for the AR platforms, that ammo is all over the place and in bulk.

I walked into a store last summer that had AMMO painted on their window. They had quite a few 375 HH, .416 Remington, 458 Win and other rounds that most in this area don't shoot. But then again none of that ammo was priced below $150 if I remember right. They had zero of of popular hunting calibers such as 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag, 30-06, 270, and others that you will find in the deer and elk woods.
I’ll bet they had 6.0 and 6.5 Creedmoor, .350 Legend and other “new” cartridge offerings that only a very small percentage of HUNTERS have rifles for?

I’ll bet they had 6.0 and 6.5 Creedmoor, .350 Legend and other “new” cartridge offerings that only a very small percentage of HUNTERS have rifles for?

That I remember they didn't have any of the "trendy" type of rifle ammo.

I drove past it just last week and thought about stopping but I wanted to get home before they closed Glenwood Canyon for flash floods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longrange33

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 29 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross