Current Ammunition Availability

It seems increasingly difficult to find modern factory ammunition for many of the classic British double rifle cartridges, e.g., 450/400, 450 NE, 470, 500 NE, etc. Of course, awhile back there were crazy runs on .22LR, 9mm, .223, etc., but this a different situation. Are Hornady, Norma and others just not producing such loads or is there hording going on here as well? After all big doubles are being built every day, not too mention the used market. I hand load so it is not a real problem for me, although brass can be an issue. So, what's going on out there?
Loads of Hornady .450/.400 just came in stock. .470 has been fairly available most of the time. Go to www.ammoseek.com to check availability.
Philip
 
20 retailers currently have .450/.400 and 4 selling .470 on ammoseek.
 
Ha! Ha! "Maybe next week". That was six months ago! LOL. I should have bought a .338 Lapua. That ammo is available EVERYWHERE!
.338 Edge has been making inroads in to the .33 caliber line. Brass and bullets have been available.
 
.338 Edge has been making inroads in to the .33 caliber line. Brass and bullets have been available.

What I have seen is them more unpopular rounds here in the US that are sitting on the store shelves, that is except for ammo for the AR platforms, that ammo is all over the place and in bulk.

I walked into a store last summer that had AMMO painted on their window. They had quite a few 375 HH, .416 Remington, 458 Win and other rounds that most in this area don't shoot. But then again none of that ammo was priced below $150 if I remember right. They had zero of of popular hunting calibers such as 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag, 30-06, 270, and others that you will find in the deer and elk woods.
 
Yup. For the 450/400 it appears they're all DGS/FMJ. Awesome. For the hand loader, you're golden.
If you're after DGX or something along those lines, and you don't handload, well, not so much.
Yes but I am sure more is coming. there was none for months and boxes on GB going for up to $300 now at least there is some. Ill use DGS for practice then have Barnes loaded.
Keep watching and be patient is all I can offer.
 
What I have seen is them more unpopular rounds here in the US that are sitting on the store shelves, that is except for ammo for the AR platforms, that ammo is all over the place and in bulk.

I walked into a store last summer that had AMMO painted on their window. They had quite a few 375 HH, .416 Remington, 458 Win and other rounds that most in this area don't shoot. But then again none of that ammo was priced below $150 if I remember right. They had zero of of popular hunting calibers such as 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag, 30-06, 270, and others that you will find in the deer and elk woods.
I’ll bet they had 6.0 and 6.5 Creedmoor, .350 Legend and other “new” cartridge offerings that only a very small percentage of HUNTERS have rifles for?
 
I’ll bet they had 6.0 and 6.5 Creedmoor, .350 Legend and other “new” cartridge offerings that only a very small percentage of HUNTERS have rifles for?

That I remember they didn't have any of the "trendy" type of rifle ammo.

I drove past it just last week and thought about stopping but I wanted to get home before they closed Glenwood Canyon for flash floods.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,285
Messages
1,570,635
Members
168,921
Latest member
PhilB6135
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top