Crossbolt Wrench

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
10,451
Reaction score
22,030
Location
Colorado
Media
27
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
Where could I find a good crossbolt wrench for removing and/or tightening the stock crossbolts on my CZ and Interarms Whitworth rifles? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 2.30.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 2.30.29 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 324
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 2.30.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 2.30.31 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 329
I read on another blog where someone suggested snap ring pliers as an alternative. Just a matter of getting the right size. You might check a local autoparts store or Lowes/Home Depot.
 
I read on another blog where someone suggested snap ring pliers as an alternative. Just a matter of getting the right size. You check a local autoparts store or Lowes/Home Depot.
Thanks, I’ll check around. I’m not in a hurry, but I’m thinking at the very least the crossbolts have to be checked for tightness every once in a while?
 
I'm not familiar with the crossbolt heads on those rifles. If they have two small holes in them you may be able to use a spanner wrench with pins set to go in the holes, then turn the wrench to tighten them.
 
I have used these:


I didn't try to get them brutally tight.....
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.16.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.16.09 PM.png
    741.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.16.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.16.11 PM.png
    418.1 KB · Views: 259
The tool is very similar to the tool used to remove striker bushings on shotguns and double rifles. I would call Brownell's... perhaps they can suggest a source.

Seems that trying to use the 'wrong' tool will risk damage to the pins. I doubt that a loose cross pin would cause any accuracy problems... the pressure on the pin is lateral and the pins are inletted tightly and not tapered.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 9.33.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 9.33.45 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
Last edited by a moderator:
Where could I find a good crossbolt wrench for removing and/or tightening the stock crossbolts on my CZ and Interarms Whitworth rifles? Thanks!
There are different cross bolt wrenches. One dont fit
all. I had my Machinist friend make one for me.
Krish
 
On the left is a Brownells, on the right is one I made using a 1/2" grade 8 bolt for material.

mAxrd5d.jpg


Note the one I made has holes of two different pin spacings. Move the pins as required.

bOteDVb.jpg


Simple job for the lathe and the vertical mill.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,241
Messages
1,569,381
Members
168,665
Latest member
EsperanzaR
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top