Crocodile Hunt in Limpopo

I gotta say it, I agree with the PH.

What happens if your croc slips in the water? I think it's more probable than it dying on land. I doubt they will be far from water, most are pre-educated to the game.

Yeah, I trust that he knows his stuff. Almost guaranteed to slip into the water. I want to try the lung shot causing the croc to eventually return to land. Steve, from other thread, suggests avoiding the heart as it will likely kill the croc while still submerged. My PH is willing to give that a go.

Yeah, I trust that he knows his stuff. Almost guaranteed to slip into the water. I want to try the lung shot causing the croc to eventually return to land. Steve, from other thread, suggests avoiding the heart as it will likely kill the croc while still submerged. My PH is willing to give that a go.

I gotta say that is wishful thinking, I have watched a lot of film and either it is edited...because most go to the bottom just to ensure you don't get him.

I hate to say this, some guys want to make a client happy, even if it's against their better judgement. Again it's your hunt.

I wonder how people would vote if their was a poll? Maybe I'm dead wrong. Maybe your technique and idea is the best?

I study anatomy all the time and when something is in respiratory distress the last thing it has time to do is swim. Most likely the animal won't know what is wrong and will just struggle to breath. It really is like a well hit deer in the lungs. They have no idea why they are going weak, when all they want to do is escape.

It is probably very unlikely that I would stone a croc with an arrow. Maybe with a spinal neck shot. The conditions would have to be very favorable for me to take that shot. I will also only bowhunt in areas with shallow bodies of water. This will probably limit me from getting a very large animal but I really want to give this style of hunting a good try.

I am still looking to stalk but now considering bait and cameras to see what's around first. I have a lot of choices in regards to location.

I gotta say that is wishful thinking, I have watched a lot of film and either it is edited...because most go to the bottom just to ensure you don't get him.

I hate to say this, some guys want to make a client happy, even if it's against their better judgement. Again it's your hunt.

I wonder how people would vote if their was a poll? Maybe I'm dead wrong. Maybe your technique and idea is the best?

I study anatomy all the time and when something is in respiratory distress the last thing it has time to do is swim. Most likely the animal won't know what is wrong and will just struggle to breath. It really is like a well hit deer in the lungs. They have no idea why they are going weak, when all they want to do is escape.

My PH will only allow it under conditions that will assist with recovery. It was made pretty clear that I may have to use a rifle. It is my wishful thinking that the right conditions will exist. The flooding may have already made the decision for me. Hopefully water levels drop to an acceptable level for me to stay the course. I can be a bit hard headed. At least that's what my other half says.

Your take on drowning/ respiratory distress makes sense to me. It sure as heck holds true for humans. I don't know enough about crocs and their awareness of that kind of problem. Maybe a heart shot near very shallow water is the best option. I have a feeling that there will be several meetings and extensive scouting done before I start getting dirty.

I study anatomy all the time and when something is in respiratory distress the last thing it has time to do is swim. Most likely the animal won't know what is wrong and will just struggle to breath. It really is like a well hit deer in the lungs. They have no idea why they are going weak, when all they want to do is escape.[/QUOTE]

the last thing your croc will be doing is thinking rationally with its lungs pierced ,rooihond.
lm 99%sure it will head for the safety of the water , its been its sanctarary all its life ....
im playing with a bow spool with 60 lbs trace with a little net cork and a fishing arrow at present , but im racking my brains trying to come up with some thing hollow ,so once its in there it allows air and blood
out and then water in to speed up the process, but not weak so the stored energy of the release breaks it ,and also, so we can use it in the recovery.im pretty sure the arrow wont go all the way through .
thinking of using a punching bag for a crash test dummy .while trying to learn to steer the arrow ,with trace in tow out to 30 metres .

using a bait im certain you will be able to make your croc happen ,and also be able to lift the bar a little higher on your mimimum length

I think a heart or lung shot is pretty much the same. It just seems those crocs are a little tougher than what most people think.

If I was going with a rifle, I'd try to spine him with a big rifle and a big bullet. I want to send a shock to the central nervous system that says...THE END. Minimum for me 375 H&H, then the .416 Rem and to be honest a 500 grain 458 Win bullet might be the ticket!

I would not want to lose one.

You can find just about any "hunting" formula in the RSA. I am sure someone has a shallow pond with a croc placed in it for just such a request. Saw a Sportsman Channel film of some guy poking one with a bow in a small pond somewhere. The water looked to be about an acre and at most three feet deep. They were polling around in an aluminum skiff, and the archer used a barbed arrow with line attached. They then played Ahab and Moby Dick until the reptile finally ran out of gas. I don't think it was hunting, but you could have sold tickets.

I think a heart or lung shot is pretty much the same. It just seems those crocs are a little tougher than what most people think.

If I was going with a rifle, I'd try to spine him with a big rifle and a big bullet. I want to send a shock to the central nervous system that says...THE END. Minimum for me 375 H&H, then the .416 Rem and to be honest a 500 grain 458 Win bullet might be the ticket!

I would not want to lose one.

I suspect that the heart shot would kill a little more quickly but not be a deciding factor on its own. Maybe more comfort when recovering it after a long wait. I consider lungs because of previous considerations and also because they are a larger target.

I don't think that a croc would expire as easily as most mammals. Reptiles seem to be able to endure more. That's part of the attraction of this hunt.

Yeah, a loss would be a heartbreaker!

You can find just about any "hunting" formula in the RSA. I am sure someone has a shallow pond with a croc placed in it for just such a request. Saw a Sportsman Channel film of some guy poking one with a bow in a small pond somewhere. The water looked to be about an acre and at most three feet deep. They were polling around in an aluminum skiff, and the archer used a barbed arrow with line attached. They then played Ahab and Moby Dick until the reptile finally ran out of gas. I don't think it was hunting, but you could have sold tickets.

Definitely not my cup of tea. I would rather go rifle and look for a larger croc at a riverbank or large lake.

I loved your response bluey, you and I think alike sometimes.

the last thing your croc will be doing is thinking rationally with its lungs pierced ,rooihond.
lm 99%sure it will head for the safety of the water , its been its sanctarary all its life ....
im playing with a bow spool with 60 lbs trace with a little net cork and a fishing arrow at present , but im racking my brains trying to come up with some thing hollow ,so once its in there it allows air and blood
out and then water in to speed up the process, but not weak so the stored energy of the release breaks it ,and also, so we can use it in the recovery.im pretty sure the arrow wont go all the way through .
thinking of using a punching bag for a crash test dummy .while trying to learn to steer the arrow ,with trace in tow out to 30 metres .

using a bait im certain you will be able to make your croc happen ,and also be able to lift the bar a little higher on your mimimum length

Sorry, bluey. I lost track. My phone limits overall view of the page.

I was considering a poll but it doesn't seem like there are many who even think of bowhunting crocs.

The panic response sounds like a strong possibility but animals surprise me and I have no experience with crocs. Your assessment has me concerned for sure as you have seen some of their behavior.

That setup sounds very interesting. Maybe grooves that run the length of the arrow? Three evenly spaced semi circular channels should allow passage of fluids but still allow strength. That might be difficult to manufacture but could do the trick.

Baiting could be interesting and allow for some interesting photography before the hunt. Getting bait is always fun, too. I still would like to do the final stalk with a bow. I have no particular problem with baiting. The idea of spot and stalk just sounds like too much fun to ignore.

Thanks, guys. Enysse and Bluey, you both have me reconsidering the lung shot tactic. I sent a PM to Steve asking for further info. I recalled that he hadn't posted much and it looks like he is still busy with other matters.

Current conditions lead me to think that it is not worth betting against your theory about respiratory panic. There is just too much water and the one thing worse for me than an engineered hunt would be me sending an irresponsible arrow. Maybe Steve will answer with some insight on croc instinct and drowning.

This dilemma is something else. I like to be adaptable and fluid but this is crazy. Good thing this is all so enjoyable.

Bluey, that boomstick might have to do the magic after all!

Thanks, guys. Enysse and Bluey, you both have me reconsidering the lung shot tactic. I sent a PM to Steve asking for further info. I recalled that he hadn't posted much and it looks like he is still busy with other matters.

Current conditions lead me to think that it is not worth betting against your theory about respiratory panic. There is just too much water and the one thing worse for me than an engineered hunt would be me sending an irresponsible arrow. Maybe Steve will answer with some insight on croc instinct and drowning.

This dilemma is something else. I like to be adaptable and fluid but this is crazy. Good thing this is all so enjoyable.

Bluey, that boomstick might have to do the magic after all!

nah ,mate.
its doable, the only bit that's got whiskers on it ,in your plan is the stalking in to 30 odd metres .
if you can do that, your the man .
with a bait and croc pre occupied munging out , that's your gateway .......
I think the float is the guarrentee , from a blind all set up , no bloody worries, mate .
stalking in with a bow spool on and float , that's gunna be hard ,bud.
you , put this idea in my head and ive got patsy looking into it for next year .
so don't you go cheating . and reaching for the gun, just yet .........

Haha! Don't wanna cheat just yet! I am confident that I can close the distance(as long as the wind doesn't change after taking an hour to move every 10 or 20 yards!). It's the clearing of the limbs and draw that I has me wondering but will give it a shot. I will repeat that process day after day. The one thing that will make me drop the idea immediately is if there is no way to responsibly place an arrow for the conditions.

I gotta see the arrow you develop for that system!

Sorry for the idea. I have found that it is an illness!

yeah , your right .
im finding my self thinking about ,almost as much as my lioness hunt that fast approaching

I had thoughts of a lioness this time around but your conversation at home obviously didn't go down the way mine did! My girlfriend believes in the lion hunting and conservation model as long as it doesn't include me!

I will live vicariously through your report.

I guess this thread got me interested in hunting croc again, but I want to use a rifle and would prefer to hunt Moz. And they will likely be closed for a while. This whole CITES and government run stuff with the greenies and bunny huggers running the show is really frustrating. But I think it meant to be, because that is the goal to wipe out hunting.

Moz would be a fantastic trip. I hope that gets ironed out soon. I'm not sure what the current status is for crocs in Ethiopia, but that would be one to remember as well.

The recent hooplah about lion hunting, and their possible listing, is what got me really thinking about going for one this time. The push to close the hunting of various species is aggravating.

At least you could consider a different venue. My girlfriend just plain doesn't want me bringing a lion in our house. Heck, I'm still working on getting my marlin up on the wall. I don't think she realizes where I plan on putting the croc!

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't mount anything. It saves on disagreements and expenses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg