Crocodile Hunt in Limpopo

Does anybody know what the SA license fees and CITES import fees are for crocodile? All of the numbers uncovered so far are trophy fees with everything included. I'm curious about what the dissected numbers would look like.

This does not include the time or the PIA to make the application.

One reference. Limpopo.

Crocodile, Nile CITES 2/TOPS PERMIT R 1 058.00

Thank you! I was going to ask my outfitter but I felt that may be the equivalent of going to a restaurant and asking how much they paid for my steak. I want to be sure to take care of them for their time and money if the situation dictates a change in primary species.

It looks like the elements of the hunt are good and hopefully the rains give the area a break with no more flooding.Thanks again!

Is anybody familiar with the Palala River? It is one of my many options presented for this hunt.

More specifically, one mile up from the Palala River. There are other options but this sounded like a good area as it was also described as being well known for crocs.

Take the time of year into consideration as this influences a number of factors

Henri,

Do you have any advice regarding hunting in May? Any would be greatly appreciated. I posed a question about seasonal factors in my thread, "Behavior and Habits of the Nile Crocodile". I understand that this year may be different due to the recent heavy rains and flooding.

We certainly have had more than average rain this year. Cold water and warm sun gets more of them out of the water. Summer here, therefore reduces the number out in the sun. With all the rain this year we should have a colder and earlier winter. Crocs are very wary with excellent senses. Once they realise you are on to them and they disappear so the more of them you have out of the water the more chances you will have.

I had numerous successful bow hunts on croc in the Kafue River in Zambia. Although there are large numbers of crocs, the width of the river makes it difficult to get close to them. The Palala river is much narrower and should give you better chances to sneak up to them.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

We certainly have had more than average rain this year. Cold water and warm sun gets more of them out of the water. Summer here, therefore reduces the number out in the sun. With all the rain this year we should have a colder and earlier winter. Crocs are very wary with excellent senses. Once they realise you are on to them and they disappear so the more of them you have out of the water the more chances you will have.

I had numerous successful bow hunts on croc in the Kafue River in Zambia. Although there are large numbers of crocs, the width of the river makes it difficult to get close to them. The Palala river is much narrower and should give you better chances to sneak up to them.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for the great info! What kind of shot placement do you prefer? Any tips to help ensure recovery of the croc?

The heart/lung shot is still your best option but as you know the recovery is still a challenge. For this reason I prefer late season, less and clearer water in the rivers and more crocs tend to bask longer giving you more options. These reptiles only need a couple of flicks of the tail to move a great distance after which you don't find them close to where they entered the water. They sink after the shot once they enter the water and unlike hippo they do not float after an hour or so.

As Jaco and yourself have said, small bodies of shallow water will be essential and hope that it does not have an underwater den. I have seen a 15 ft croc disappear in a water hole of 40 by 10 ft. If the water is clear and you do not recover it, it might help to cover the area by night with a small boat and spot light as you pick them up easier that way. It has helped me a couple of times.

We will see what scenarios surface as the rain subsides. Any trick that may be required for recovery is noted. Hopefully it won't be needed but it appears likely that the croc won't be in the bag immediately after the shot. Thank you, again. My PH has and will provide guidance, but additional info is always welcome. It has been adding to the enjoyment of preparation!

I must admit, losing a croc would be my biggest worry, I had two friends lose crocs already. They never hunted them again.

I think that I will have to be flexible and fluid to make the right decision. I don't want to feel that I hunted in an irresponsible manner at my croc hunting skill level. The risk of loss seems significant even for the skilled croc guys.

I must admit, losing a croc would be my biggest worry, I had two friends lose crocs already. They never hunted them again.

Were they hunting with rifle or bow?

Were they hunting with rifle or bow?

Rifle, both said it should have killed them. But they tried dragging the river and never claimed them. I don't remember how far they were out of the water. I know the one was close to the water. Both tried that head shot. I don't think braining them is something I would try with a rifle, too small of a target. Like the one gentlemen said low water, better hunting. I look at more water as more problems...especially this year.

The rains are adding a twist and challenge. I'm still thinking lung shot with an arrow. Reptiles, especially big ones, sure are resilient.

Is there anyway to attach a float and string to the arrow?

My PH said he would like giving that a shot, but I want to keep it simple.

My PH said he would like giving that a shot, but I want to keep it simple.

I gotta say it, I agree with the PH.

What happens if your croc slips in the water? I think it's more probable than it dying on land. I doubt they will be far from water, most are pre-educated to the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg