CPAP Help

Cigar

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA~Life, Boone and Crockett, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and Ducks Unlimeted..
Question from a long time lurker.. This is my 1st time going to Africa.. Namibia to be exact.. I have a Cpap that is a must for me and everyone else that wants to sleep within 1/2mile. What do I need ?? We have electric 24 hours...

Check what the power requirements are and make sure it's compatible with Namibian power. Other than that talk it over with your doctor to have a back up therapy/plan if things go belly-up. Apart from that, I don't see any problems as long as your PH is aware, you follow his advice, and your CPAP machine is compatible with the Namibian power grid.

Happy hunting!! (y)

You may also want to talk to your outfitter to see if there are rolling electrical blackouts in their area.

You might also want to pick up a couple of voltage converters before your trip.

If your machine specs are not capable of managing

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 07.25.52 copy.png

as Namibian power 220 volt

Then you will need a converter

You will need a plug adapter. It is NOT identical to South Africa.

Unknown.png

Another option is to have the Outfitter contact a local vendor and see about renting one that works on the local power grid. eg.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 07.35.09.png

Last edited:
I don't know of any cpap machines that don't have the power converter built into the power supply or into the unit itself. That doesn't mean there aren't some like this though. Like Brickburn stated, check your power supply provided with the cpap machine and make sure it's listed as above, or if it is just a normal cord without a box, the power requirements will be listed on the bottom or back of the machine itself.

I had no problem taking mine to both South Africa and Namibia when I was there. It was just a matter of having the correct plug adapter for the areas I was at.

Thank you guys.

I went to South Africa last year with mine. It has built in converter, all I used was an adapter for there plugs. Taking in again in three weeks, I can not sleep without it

Same here. Going to South Africa next July and have to carry that damn thing everywhere.

I broke down down and bought a battery powered travel CPAP in addition to my normal everyday of the year one. I like the smaller size, and just got my sleep doctor to write a prescription. They will try to sell you through your doctor, but found much cheaper on line. I just charged the battery every day while hunting and the used the battery at night(power was not available at the tent except when generator was on). Before I bought that one, two of my Africa outfitters said if I brought my CPAP that was AC only, all I needed was a small auto lighter AC/DC inverter, and a DC car lighter receptacle with alligator clips and they would put a car battery in my tent to power my CPAP. Theory being clips go on battery, inverter plugs in lighter receptacle, CPAP plugs in normal US outlet in car inverter. Found all items on AMAZON and checked out at home. Worked great. Bottom line I have never been without my CPAP, nor will I! Snoring attracts too many hippos into camp!

I too travel with CPAP. I also do remote camping hunts. On a couple of these hunts I've flown a CarBattery in with me to power my CPAP. Depending on the model CPAP you have, most CPAP's that don't have a humidifier on them will go 8-10 days on a fresh car battery. Of course, this assumes you have the right converter.

So if your camp has rolling blackouts, just ask them to put a car battery in your room and bring the alligator clip'd converter.

PS: It's also nice to have a one-day battery pack to use on the plane. That sure made jet lag so much nicer for me...

PS: It's also nice to have a one-day battery pack to use on the plane. That sure made jet lag so much nicer for me...

+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Question from a long time lurker.. This is my 1st time going to Africa.. Namibia to be exact.. I have a Cpap that is a must for me and everyone else that wants to sleep within 1/2mile. What do I need ?? We have electric 24 hours...

I use one as well. Simply look at the bottom plate of the machine and it will tell you what voltage and Hz it will work with. My oldest machine was only 110 v 60 Hz so I needed a step down transformer. But the two I have had since are dual voltage machines 110/220 and 50/60 Hz . If that is the case you only need a converter plug for the country you are going to.

Unlike South Africa, many if not most Namibian concessions are not on the grid. The typical ranch or camp uses solar panels and a battery bank. Really remote areas (like much of the Caprivi) use generators. Regardless of voltage, like wilderness camps most places, there is often no power at all after "lights out." I would check with your outfitter.

My CPAP is compatible w 220 so it’s just an adapter when I’m on the grid. However, we typically hunt remote camps off the grid. For these remote camps I bought a 2 day lithium battery and solar charger. The battery can also be charged w 110 or 220 when available. This setup is highly portable and works like a champ.

Great info.. This is why I love this place. One more question...

Has anyone ever used one of those mouth guard things??

I dropped Erongomed in Namibia an email and got a reply.
Feel free to follow up with the contact if required.

Good day,
Thank you for the query, can we please have a little bit more specifications on the CPAP machine that your friend requires?
Would it be for sleep apnea? or for use throughout the day only in terms of application
We do supply both the CPAP machines and Oxygen Concentrators.
olivia@erongomed.com

Great info.. This is why I love this place. One more question...

Has anyone ever used one of those mouth guard things??

I tried one for about 6 months through my dentist who wanted me to try it out and see what I thought. Hey, may be great for some folks, but the awkward way it forced your jaw forward, and the fact that the top and bottom locked together so your mouth was closed was just not going to cut it. I gave it a fair chance but pitched in the end. Did not compare to the difference in quality sleep I got with CPAP. Maybe for mild cases of apnea, but I am a poster child for CPAP as I would quit breathing for up to 45 seconds.

This may be a last ditch idea but if you’re in a remote camp a vehicle should be around somewhere. Pack along a small inverter so you can use the vehicle battery. That’s what we do when we go out in Prince Willam Sound for the weekend.

Go on cpap.com and check out their lithium battery packs and solar chargers. I get two nights out of my lithium battery and the solar panel full recharges in about 8 hours.

Excellent thread - answered all my questions, so back to the top for those who may be interested.

Just had my doc write a prescription for a travel CPAP so I don't have to take my primary unit. Needed a backup anyway. A solar charger sounds like good insurance as well.

One additional thing from when I talked to Delta last year (pre covid): To travel with a lithium battery for your CPAP machine, you need written approval showing Delta approves that specific battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.