Courteney Selous Boots VS. Russell Moccasins

All I know is the Courtney's appear to be very simple but well thought out boots. Simple in that I look at the inside and outside and see nothing that explains comfort. No plush soft crap or anything like that, just a whole of really well put together leather with this really quiet sole that also lasts. The laces are the best pair of laces I've ever had on a boot. That braided style helps to not slip when you're tying them up and keeps the boot tighter when you pull the laces and then tie that first knot. I can walk all day in these boots whether it be out hunting or just wearing them around and my feet are doing great when I take them off.

i totally agree with you,my wife and i have been wearing them since our first safari in 2002.

Posted by me 3 years ago (edited for grammar):

I have wide feet and they are different sizes. Needless to say, I looked forward to a pair of custom fitted shoes from Russell. I had my feet measured by a factory representative and when I got my shoes they were not even close to the right width. Way narrow. The soles, however, were wide and hung off the edges like some sort of miniature snow shoe attachment. I brought them with me to SCI to be refitted. They agreed that the finishing was not right on the soles and told me that they would stretch the shoes. I wasn't thrilled with this, thinking that they should have been made to fit in the first place, but I agreed to it. When they shipped them to me after "stretching" they were still way too narrow.

I gave them to charity. They looked like decent shoes after the soles were re-done, but shoes have to fit. I'd have had a better fit off the shelf. I'm sure there will be a person with 9C feet who will be happy to have a brand new pair of shoes for $10 from the thrift shop.

Did I read somewhere that Courtney's require little or no breaking in?

Did I read somewhere that Courtney's require little or no breaking in?

If 1000 people told me that a pair of boots didn't need breaking in, I'd still break mine in before going to Africa.

That said, I have no worries bringing a broken-in pair of boots, buying a pair of new boots in Africa and hunting in them as tolerated. I've done that myself.

I wore Merrell mid hikers on my safari to Zimbabwe in 2011 and plan to do the same this year in Mozambique. Great comfort, really good ankle support, and a solid sole. I can walk a dozen miles with a 35 lb pack on and my feet are fine. The rest of me is sore though!

I love my Courtney boots , however boots are such a personal thing and everyones feet differ

ill put my money where my mouth is.i have a pair of the top of the line from 2001 as well as my wife,plus a pair of elephant,i have just bought a pair of the croc at 1000.00,do i like courtney boots,OH YEA!!!!P.S. CHARLIE,I WENT BACK TO WORK AT WAL-MART.

If 1000 people told me that a pair of boots didn't need breaking in, I'd still break mine in before going to Africa.

That said, I have no worries bringing a broken-in pair of boots, buying a pair of new boots in Africa and hunting in them as tolerated. I've done that myself.

Excellent idea! Many thanks!

I guess I was lucky. Having small feet ( 8 1/2 ) works well for me. I bought two pairs of Russel PH's on ebay. Both pairs were like new in standard size. Bothe fit perfect. I paid for both less than what one pair cost. Also have a new pair of Selous and they fit perfect on the first go around. The Afrikan gods like me ( so far lol ).

Up until 30 years ago I was happy wearing Danner Winterlights; then for some reason my feet changed and I could no longer wear the boots for more than 30 minutes without parts of my foot cramping (this was after wearing the boots for a few years with no problem). I had a pair of Russell Veal Imperials fit and initially they cramped my toes. the adjustment was to make the "toe box" deeper. For each additional pair of shoes/boots Russell has the last for my foot. So for the last 30 years I have worn Russells virtually every day. While I haven't been to Africa, I have been to Alaska, New Zealand, South America and stops between. the first pair of Imperials is presently being rebuilt a third time, the second pair is still in like new condition at about five years old. For serious mountain hunting a pair of High Country Sheep Hunter boots has been great. To these add four pair of various oxfords for daily wear. My opinion is that the quality of the leather and workmanship are top rate and if you get the fit to fit, you'll have a great pair of boots, but if you don't get the fit right, then you might as well go barefoot.

This is Jim from African Sporting Creations and we have been accepting Courteney custom orders for over a year now. You pick the boot, hide/color and sole and are wearing them 120 days later. Key to this process is sending out one or two "try pairs" to confirm they fit you before we place your order. To date, we have had two narrow-footed customers not move forward with the process (they are a wide cut boot) but we are working on a solution to that.

There are two types of toe boxes available on Courteney Boots; one that is very roomy which is found on the Safari for example which has plenty of room for upturned toes and one which slopes down which is found on the Patrol and Selous.

I hope this information is helpful.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg