Could a .22LR possibly kill a leopard?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Hoss Delgado, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    According to my Granddad , Mr. Karim exclusively used the brain shots on the leopards with his .22 LR BRNO . I don't know if it was an auto or bolt action. But l would think auto , because it makes follow up shots more plausible

2. leslie hetrick

leslie hetrick AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    several sporting clubs
    Hunted:
    several
    if I was forced to hunt mr spots with a .22lr, I would make sure my life insurance was paid up, all pertent papers up to date and maybe saying my last ado,s to loved ones. just in case.

Von S. and Hoss Delgado like this.

3. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

yes hoss the same place.
    if their skulls were too thick the poor little 22 bullet could not get into the brain.
    I kept a 22 in the ute as a handy farm gun, but remember shooting a big bull with a broken leg a few times.
    it must have had a headache but did not look like going down.
    a 6.5 bullet corrected that emphatically.
    maybe their skulls got thicker with age?
    bruce.

4. Hoss Delgado

Video/Photo:
    Update : With a little help from my Grandad , l was able to contact an Indian gentleman who actually hunted with Mr. Karim from 1963 to 1969 . The rifle used by Mr. Karim was a BRNO model 581 semi automatic chambered for .22 Long Rifle. While .22 LR ammo stopped getting imported into India officially in 1999 ( when the Indian Ordinance Factories started locally manufacturing shitty rifles and ammo in this caliber ) and new fire arms including .22s stopped getting imported into the country since 1986 , the truth was that new .22 caliber rifles and ammo were always in short supply already for decades. The only guns in existence were old rifles from British rifle clubs from the colonial era and the occasional rifle brought into India by a private owner and then privately sold. The same applies for ammo. The only Ammunition available was old British surplus ammo from the old colonial rifle clubs or the occasional few boxes of ammo brought into the country by a Traveller or private buyer from abroad who , for some reason , would end up selling it . Mr. Karim bought this gun from a store called " Guncraft " in Bangalore where an American visiting hunter had sold it a few days previously. Old British rifle club ammo was still available everywhere at that time. And as l mentioned above , he also took many ammo boxes from my Granddad.
    In regards to how he got the little .22 LR bullet to drop 250 pound leopards , l found out :
    He would use only one shot exclusively ; brain shots through the ear hole. Apparently when Mr. Karim first started hunting with that rifle , he would quickly double tap the leopard through the ear hole. But over time , as he grew more confident in his marksmanship , he started using one bullet only to do the job . Apparently , he would sometimes wait up to 3 minutes before the leopard would present the side for an ear shot. He also ( wisely ) never shot a charging leopard . He never used the frontal head shot or a body shot. The man also related a story about how Mr. Karim once shot a mad domestic bull bovine between the eyes with a shot from his .22. The bull went down... Only to start getting up again. The animal was merely stunned. Mr. Karim quickly shot the brute again in the same place and this time, after it went down , a man cut it's throat.

5. Von Gruff

Von Gruff GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    He was fortunate in always being able to make the choice of the shot and obviously never had to shoot at other than an undisturbed animal.

Hoss Delgado likes this.

6. Hoss Delgado

Video/Photo:
    I agree wholeheartedly . His hunting companion has been trying to publish a book about their exploits for quite some time . But with the retarded Indian anti hunting sentiment as is it is , he's had some difficulty . His hunting friend ( who disclosed all this ) was 79 year old Mr. Khan who now lives in Bangladesh but used to reside in India until '72 . Mr. Khan in that era owned an IOF 12 Gauge double barrel shotgun ( right barrel cylinder , left barrel choked ) and would often accompany Mr. Karim with one barrel loaded with a spherical ball cartridge and the other barrel loaded with an LG cartridge ( what we Americans call 000 buckshot) . Whenever he would go abroad for foreign trips , Mr. Khan would always buy Winchester 000 buckshot shotgun shells ( 2 3/4 inch of course ) for using in the shotgun.
    Interestingly enough , Mr. Khan made a comment about the (in)effectiveness of buckshot on Dangerous game like Leopard. While l often read many books ( especially Those of Peter Capstick ) about using 000 buckshot on Leopard , Mr. Khan recounted how buckshot was really ineffective for those 200 + LB leopards . Apparently it would penetrate their skins , but flatten out on their rock hard muscles and lead to many a hunter getting mauled. The spherical balls too , would penetrate a maximum of six inches . He recommended a rifle for leopards and hogs . Although , he says that modern brenekke slugs in a shotgun MIGHT be effective on Leopard , he is adamant that buckshot is a very poor choice.
    Interesting

Von Gruff likes this.

7. Hoss Delgado

Video/Photo:
    .22 Long or .22 LR ?

8. Hoss Delgado

Video/Photo:
    I heard this doesn't work on the larger bulls with thicker skulls ?

9. Hoss Delgado

Video/Photo:
    Bruce , when you say .22 RF , do you mean .22 LR or .22 Magnum ?

10. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

22 lr

Hoss Delgado likes this.

11. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    You can kill a leopard with a fly swatter.... hit them hard and at the right spot,...you probably have only one attempt.

Make sure, that a video is taken to entertain us....

;)

HWL

Von S. likes this.

12. Hoss Delgado

Video/Photo:
    No , man. I prefer my .375 H&H Magnum ;)

13. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    Considered in the long term, evolution will sort out those, who do not use enough gun...

:sneaky:

HWL

Von S. and bruce moulds like this.

14. shooter50

shooter50 New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    He probably used his 8 x 51 (.315) loaded with 244 grain bullets, never heard of anyone hunting leopards in India with a .22LR. A 12 bore with Buckshot 00 ammunition has often been used, but a 22LR only in an emergency.

15. Hoss Delgado

Video/Photo:
    But he NEVER owned a .315.
    Shotgun , l can believe , even though it's far from appropriate

16. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Have dispatched black bear and cougar with a 22, have also butchered beef that weighed a 1000 lbs with a 22, so a 22 would certainly kill a leopard even though it's not the right choice.

17. Alchemist

Alchemist AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NSA , SA Wingshooters
    Men can do a lot of stupid things. Like sticking your finger in your own a$$h0le and breaking it or hunt a leopard with a 22 LR. All theoretical possible, but practically a very, very stupid thing to do

18. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    Hmmm, never heard of that finger trick before, should we be concerned that you actually thought of that?

Hoss Delgado likes this.

19. Alchemist

Alchemist AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NSA , SA Wingshooters
    :) I used to train a lot of young people. They remember once you use this .... :)

While looking for BWB 2 weeks ago, I came over fresh drag marks of a leopard pulling it’s kill. I tracked it for a while. Had a 30-06 with me and it felt mighty small.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019

20. Chago

Chago AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    And here I was hunting with a 300 win mag all this time. Sweet, going to Africa with my 22 and a handful of ammo next time.