Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
So, I have planned a first-time safari to the RSA next May for plains game. I think I have a handle on the cost for the safari itself, and I have identified a great taxidermist here in the states and know what that will cost. I'm trying to get a handle on what it will cost to prepare my trophies in the RSA, ship them to the states and get them trough customs to the taxidermist. I'm not looking for precise figures, just ballpark so I know what to budget. FYI I will be hunting in Kwazulu Natal and I (along with my taxidermist) am located in SW Missouri. My son and I plan to ship back 6-8 plains trophies, all shoulder mounts (capes). Any advice?

Check the outfitters section of the forum. Look for members in logistics field. I used SBI logistics, colleen is a member of the forum, great to deal with and could probably work up a ballpark for you. Once they get to Memphis, you can drive there and try and clear them through customs yourself, or contact a customs broker ahead of time (again there are a few in the outfitters section). The customs broker is worth the extra money, in my opinion, then they are shipped to your house or your taxidermist.

thanks, 35bore. So you had yours shipped RSA to Memphis? I wasn't sure where to have them land. I do plan to use a customs broker. That has been recommended to mae several times and seems well worth the money.

Are you going to shoot a pig?

We plan to shoot a warthog each, but I have read that handling is more difficult now? Maybe they have to be in a separate crate?

Cost of Shipping Trophys

Yes, does make it more difficult. 1. Yes it does have to be crated separate. 2. It has to go to an inspection port, mine was Balitmore. 3. It has to be shipped by a bonded carrier from port to a USDA approved site only no exception. Then it can be shipped to you or your taxi. I chose to ship to a tanner, then they will ship to my taxi. That will save some money also.

I had a Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala, and a Warthog shipped, from where you are going. The dip and ship company charged $1,003, the shipper (Africa) charged $817, the broker charged $525, and the US shipping was $360. It went directly to the tannery. Let Africa last day of May, 2 weeks ago got the shipment to the tanner. I did a lot of the leg work and saved some money.

Thanks, Lure. I guess we'll have to decide how badly we need to shoot pigs. What do you figure that added to your total cost - $400 - $500? By the way, saw you are from SD on your profile. We were there for the phez opener. Had a great time. I think it was our seventh year for the opener. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

At least $500, if not for the pig you can have it shipped to an airport near you! I got a good one but still wonder, was it worth it!

Really nice weather for the opener! I hunted with my 92 year young dad, every year is special! Guided up Here for 25 years, 3rd generation pheasant guides, finally got that out of my blood, much nicer to be guided or hunt for fun. Glad you had a good time keep coming back, the birds should be better and better!

So, I have planned a first-time safari to the RSA next May for plains game..... My son and I plan to ship back 6-8 plains trophies, all shoulder mounts (capes). Any advice?

Yeah, take enough money to pay for 12-16 animals!
If you're anything like the rest of us first timers, you'll need it.

Yes, does make it more difficult. 1. Yes it does have to be crated separate. 2. It has to go to an inspection port, mine was Balitmore. 3. It has to be shipped by a bonded carrier from port to a USDA approved site only no exception.

does this apply to skulls as well?
or just a dip & pack for shoulder mount, etc.?

Jeff, hopefully we can exercise a little restraint! Seriously, I know it's going to be difficult not to pursue those other trophies that just ahppen to present themselves!

Last edited:
Yes it does pertain to "any" pig parts.

You have no idea how hard it is, I would take along duct tape, wrap your trigger fingers with enough that you can't get it into the trigger guard. That might not even be enough!! What an experience!!

So, if you are going to shoot one, I suppose you may as well shoot several, huh?

It shouldn't cost much more for a half dozen than for one I'd think, although d&p is charged by the animal.

If you had them to complete your Warthogs as European Skull mounts, it may get more feasible I guess.

What think ye?

Ya, about $400 a pig (to shoot it)+ d&p+extra air frt+extra duty+ it may be more cubes so all frt would be higher!!!! It goes on and on. I don't particularly like a European Pig mount. Plus I read a book one time and the author said that "eveyone should have a warthog in their bathroom". And I liked that!

I brought back 1o trophies to the states a year ago. Dip and Pack was around $1,100, and shipping with clearances, trucking etc was right around 1,000. That was via Delta air freight to Chicago

Glad I shot a couple of hogs before all this pig baloney started! Though I nearly shot a bushpig in Zim last time, just didnt find him in the thicket.

Did the law on wart hogs change recently. My taxidermist said it could be in the same crate but wrapped separtely. He is a usda taxidermist. If that makes any difference. Never toke a hog this time but want to the next if not to much of a hassel.

I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but I was advised that it was better for the entry inspection if it was in a separate crate. The problem is that I believe it narrows the port of entries and additionally it must be received by a USDA approved facility. Other wise it could be shipped direct from the port to the hunter.

I just called my import broker, Hunter International to ask about this as I have a bushpig being picked up from a SA taxidermist for shipping this week. She explained that the seperate crating was a requirement a few years ago but not for the past year and a half.

Pigs can be shipped in the same crate as your other trophies. They do have to go through a USDA approved facility upon arrival.

I just called my import broker, Hunter International to ask about this as I have a bushpig being picked up from a SA taxidermist for shipping this week. She explained that the seperate crating was a requirement a few years ago but not for the past year and a half.

Pigs can be shipped in the same crate as your other trophies. They do have to go through a USDA approved facility upon arrival.

That's what I thought the case was....

Warthogs Beware!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois