Correct head stamp on brass


This guy might be able to help many of you out. Small scale case maker, custom marking possible (when I discussed with him minimum batch for custom brass with custom marking was 1000pcs).
I hav handled and used 9,3x74r brass from him, in my opinion just as good as any other.

On my (very long and always evolving) list of projects I want to do is to build a rifle in 38Whelen.(A 375-06 with some improved form), I believe I can alter the marking of 35Whelen cases with the help of a smart friend with a mini CNC-milling machine. 5 becoming 8).

Can a small batch of cases be remarked? Fill original marking with some "chemical metal" and remark in a mill?
In your case, it would probably be easiest to have a engraver make the 5 into a 8
 
When entering Australia the custom officer counted checked head stamp while counting every round
Like "GuttormG" I've mentioned before there should be away to fill in an old stamp then laser engrave a new
 
I took an R8 in .458 Lott and a Krieghoff Big 5 in .470NE to Zimbabwe for a Cape Buffalo hunt. I shot my Buff once with the 470 at just under 40 yards and he tipped over and died after a short run of less than 20 yards. I gifted my PH and another in camp a few .470 cartridges and 10 .458 Lott cartridges. On leaving Zimbabwe, I was taken into a room with an enormous customs agent (6-4 and 300 pounds) with his 4 assistants. My rifles were uncased and examined. Ammo was unboxed and spread out on a table and head stamps checked and the cartridges counted and recounted. The mood became serious!!I was asked about what I had hunted (Cape Buffalo and a few baboons). I was asked how many I had killed. (1 Buff, 2 baboons). Frowns all around. (After a few nervous minutes, I stated that I was not a very good shot.) The big guy started laughing and, after a few seconds, all the assistants started laughing, though they were not sure what they were laughing about. The big guy put his arm around me and said “Finally, an honest man, and, still laughing, left the room with his entourage saying “We are done here, enjoy your trip.”
 
Never an issue in 6 trips, with about 1 out of 5 guns having properly headstamped brass for the aforementioned reasons. They are interested in counting rounds. I was concerned about it on safari 1, so I carried a letter from the gunsmith that explained gun stamped X used brass stamped Y to make its wildcat cartridges, but that's never left the file folder in 20 yrs. Non-issue.
 
I have had the head stamps checked the 2 times I flew into Kasane in Botswana. The second time I had a wildcat. A 338Rum necked up to 358. I used a metal stamp and stamped a 5 over the middle 3. Laser engraving would be better I feel. The Custom's officer could not read one case clearly an just checked a couple of others, no problem that time.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,972
Members
169,671
Latest member
AbelHowar
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top