Converter and Adapter - RSA?

My wife bought a curling iron that automatically converts itself from Amazon last year. Our camera battery says to NOT use a converter.

So does anyone have a simple link to amazon etc.. for a South African power converter? Many I see have everything but the plugs for SA. I'm going to use on converter and a power strip plugged into that.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=112394297365&alt=web
I have looked at everything I plan on bringing that plugs in and all will work with 240v power so I just bought 3 of these. Of course I have no need for a curling iron.

Screenshot (268).png

Last edited by a moderator:
So those are plug adapters and not converters.

Yes, and most electronics support 240v and it too typically printed on the label. My wife bought a new curling iron before her trip that was supported, but everything else was good to go.

So those are plug adapters and not converters.
Yes, if you plug in a Walmart hairdryer into one that is plugged into to the wall, you will immediately have a fried hairdryer. Or any other device that is not multi/voltage.

Yes, if you plug in a Walmart hairdryer into one that is plugged into to the wall, you will immediately have a fried hairdryer. Or any other device that is not multi/voltage

Not necessarily. My wife forgot to turn the switch on her hair dryer that converts it. She plugged it in and it shorted out. I turned the switch, plugged it back in and it worked just fine. In fact it is still working. You just have to remember to turn the switch. Most hair dryers have that switch that converts them.

Not necessarily. My wife forgot to turn the switch on her hair dryer that converts it. She plugged it in and it shorted out. I turned the switch, plugged it back in and it worked just fine. In fact it is still working. You just have to remember to turn the switch. Most hair dryers have that switch that converts them.
I agree with you then, your hair dryer is multi voltage.

Here is what everyone is talking about when they refer to a multivoltage adapter. This is for a laptop computer, it will work anywhere in the world - just plug it in. It automatically handles all voltages from 100V to 240V and the 50Hz and 60Hz frequencies as well. Just plug it in, except the prong configuration may need to be converted from blades to pins to fit in the wall socket. If it doesn't say this, it should say what it's designed to handle.

IMG_9139_.jpg

@BRICKBURN, you posted on this subject awhile back about modern electronics and the multi voltage ability. Please help the OP out, I feel he is now totally confused. Read my two posts and see if we are not in total agreement on modern laptops, Ipads and battery chargers for cameras.

Other items outside of electronics may very well need a converter. I would say leave it at home unless built for 220 volts.

I have used converters for some equipment that is not 220 capable.

Check your equipment specifications.

What I have found is the plugs are the biggest issue. I bought an adapter set that allows me to charge up anywhere.
It's in a small bag and it comes with me everywhere.

Some/Many electronics are 120-240 capable. Just make sure.
eg.
MAC:
Electrical and Operating Requirements
Line voltage: 100–240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

Canon Charger:
The charger operates on 100-240VAC power for worldwide use.

iPhone plugs into the computer to charge.

If you are in a remote area that only uses Generators:
One of the most common problems with generator output is the line frequency. Generator output frequency should be 60Hz. If the frequency varies significantly as the load on the generator changes you might have issues.
Many modern generators have an Inverter to ensure consistency and help protect the sensitive stuff.

I am pretty sure we are in agreement. My current electronic stuff has been plugged into 220 volts in at least 13 or so countries without a converter, just need the right plug! My son and I have three, for our trip to S.A. in two weeks.

Most camera/phone/laptop chargers are multi-voltage, as such you would just need the adapter plug. If you have something thats older, then most likely will need a convertor too. You can pick up the adaptor plug at the airport and Cape Union Mart.

Last edited:
:Joyful:What about appliances like curling irons? For some reason my girlfriend thinks that she is going to need one.
I got word back from Tactacam that their cameras and chargers need a convertor. I guess it would be safest to plug a power strip into a converter and run all chargers at 110V.

RSTK,

FYI, Limcroma has hair dryers in all of the chalets supplied for you, but no curling irons...;)

They also have multi-strip outlets but no 220 to 110 converters... As others have mentioned, most modern gadgets have 220 or 110 capability, but IF YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE, I would use a converter. I have used my converter with a short 110 gang strip all over southern Africa for years with ZERO problems.. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you