Controlled round feed for Dangerous Game

I don't believe I've ever seen a BSA Majestic. In high school I worked at a gun shop and we did take in one shipment of BSA rifles but they were refurbished military. Mauser as I recall. Beautiful guns but for whatever reason they just didn't sell in spite of good price.

I have googled dozens of Monarch photos and none appear to have muzzle brakes or ported. Was this specific to 458 rifles?

Last edited:
If only you knew Hunter-Habib a few years earlier... Ah, well. All is not lost. I have visited and hunted in Australia quite a few times over the years ever since 1975. In 1975, you could find many excellent B.S.A Majestic rifles on the secondhand racks of most Australian gun shops. When I last visited Australia in 2021, I still saw a couple of them for sale a local gun shop. So clearly, the B.S.A Majestic is still holding it's own in the land down under (and with good reason).

In 1970s era Australia... I witnessed the following brands of rifles being the most popular amongst Australian sportsmen:
- Winchesters (with the Model 94 in .30-30 Winchester and the Model 70 in .308 WInchester being the most popular)
-B.S.A
- Parker Hale
- Sporterized Lee Enfields

Well I got into shooting about 1977. First rifle I bought was a Model 94 in 30-30. The second was a rem 700 in 270. Still have that but is now a 35 Whelen. Oh and you are not helping, I am trying to reduce the number of rifles I have not increase the number. :LOL:

I don't believe I've ever seen a BSA Majestic. In high school I worked at a gun shop and we did take in one shipment of BSA rifles but they were refurbished military. Mauser as I recall. Beautiful guns but for whatever reason they just didn't sell in spite of good price.

I have googled dozens of Monarch photos and none appear to have muzzle brakes or ported. Was this specific to 458 rifles?
Only the Majestic line had the muzzle brakes.

Only the Majestic line had the muzzle brakes.
Thanks. I see that the guns we sold at the shop were Mauser lookalikes made by BSA, not refurbished military or Monarch/Majestic line. They had claw extractor but a different ejector than Mauser. I remember now that the big turnoff for customers was their painted alloy bottom metal. Otherwise, bluing was beautiful. Just too much contrast. They were very accurate rifles.

Thanks. I see that the guns we sold at the shop were Mauser lookalikes made by BSA, not refurbished military or Monarch/Majestic line. They had claw extractor but a different ejector than Mauser. I remember now that the big turnoff for customers was their painted alloy bottom metal. Otherwise, bluing was beautiful. Just too much contrast. They were very accurate rifles.
You saw the B.S.A Royal, Ontario Hunter. Similar to Mauser Model 98 actions but with a two piece striker (like a Springfield Model 1903A3).

So I’m getting ready to put together a 375 h&h for a buf and kudu hunt. What action should we build it on?
BRNO ZKK 602
Winchester Model 70
Pattern 14 Enfield
Enfield Model 1917
Pre '62 FN Mauser
Granite Mountain Arms
FHZ
Waffen Prechtll
Concari

Take your pick...

If I go with Winchester model 70. Do I need to find a pre 64 action? Or will a new one work?
Either will be fine. The pre War ones have a magazine capacity of 4+1. The new ones have a magazine capacity of 3+1. The pre ‘64 ones had stronger magazine springs and extractor. The newer ones have better gas venting.

I’ll see if I can find the video I made of cycling my push-feed rifle upside down. Or I’ll make a new one.

Always fun to join this debate.

Well my most trusted rifle up until I bought my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery was my Rem 700 BDL in 270 Win I bought in 1968. Hunted with it for 40 years until I gave it to my son. Killed over a dozen elk, way more deer and 9 bears with it. Never had a fail to function. Slid down a couple of Talus slopes with it (not on purpose). Still shoots nickel sized groups. The newer 700s have hand QC issues. I bought my CZ 550 after reading Ganyana's post on the rifles used in the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter exam. After Wayne at AHR did his lovely CZ#1 upgrade (Model 70 style 3 Pos safety, single stage match trigger, straighten and fill bolt) it leaves nothing to be desired.

So I’m getting ready to put together a 375 h&h for a buf and kudu hunt. What action should we build it on?
375 can be built on 98 Mauser. Duane Wiebe does it all the time and you can order his informative how-to booklet from him for $25. It would be very helpful for your gunsmith. The advantage to building on Mauser 98 is the actions are plentiful and can be picked up reasonably. Standard action 98 has shorter pull stroke and lighter weight than magnum Mauser actions (which are hard to find and very expensive). Another important advantage is their popularity as a build action means lots of aftermarket parts are available. I built this 404 Jeffery from a postwar Czech Brno cz.24 military surplus 8mm (that had been rebarreled in 30-06). I seem to recall I paid about $260 US for the action. I bought used Model 70 Safari Express iron sights off ebay for $150 (a bit pricey but essentially new condition), new 3-position Model 70 safety from eBay at $200, new Timney trigger from eBay at $85, hinged floorplate bottom metal ordered from Swift Blackburn for $400 (at least two other vendors also making them), new one-piece scope base ordered online @ $65 (replaced later with a lower one in discontinued model @ $10!), barrel from Lija at $400, mounting the barrel = $600 (threading, reaming, and head space), new Warne Quick detach scope rings online for $65 (a good buy!), semi finished stock from private individual ad on Gunpost at about $110 US. I put the gun together after making modifications to receiver (feeding rail, extractor, and loading ramp) which requires a good gunsmith (maybe $400?). A fella in New Brunswick did the bluing for $150 Canadian after I did the prep work. A local machinist opened the bolt face using Weibe's booklet for guidance (he didn't know what to charge so I gave him $100C). This is the completed project (April to August 2023). I have posted a video of me cycling the rifle and it is slick, fast, and faultless.
20231019_114147.jpg

Last month while looking for more ammo components I spotted a nice used stock at a very good price. What the heck, I needed something to do. Required more work than expected (including fitting crossbolts and wrist reinforcement rod - both of which I've never done before) but it turned out well. Also added a new 1-4x scope ($130US).
20240420_112851.jpg

So that will give you a rough idea of expenditure. If I'd chosen another action to build on, the aftermarket options probably would have been more limited and more expensive. Your gunsmith might want to modify the existing bottom metal but I'd advise spending the money and ordering one. 375 is a good choice because stuff for them is easy to get, especially ammo and components (404 not so much!). Definitely spend the money for 3-position Model 70 safety. For comparison, those safeties can also be had for building on 1903 Springfield and 1917 Enfield but at upwards of $500. Bottom metal for them is much harder to find (I can't find anyone making Springfield bottom metal).

Last edited:
375 can be built on 98 Mauser. Duane Wiebe does it all the time and you can order his informative how-to booklet from him for $25. It would be very helpful for your gunsmith. The advantage to building on Mauser 98 is the actions are plentiful and can be picked up reasonably. Standard action 98 has shorter pull stroke and lighter weight than magnum Mauser actions (which are hard to find and very expensive). Another important advantage is their popularity as a build action means lots of aftermarket parts are available. I built this 404 Jeffery from a postwar Czech Brno cz.24 military surplus 8mm (that had been rebarreled in 30-06). I seem to recall I paid about $260 US for the action. I bought used Model 70 Safari Express iron sights off ebay for $150 (a bit pricey but essentially new condition), new 3-position Model 70 safety from eBay at $200, new Timney trigger from eBay at $85, hinged floorplate bottom metal ordered from Swift Blackburn for $400 (at least two other vendors also making them), new one-piece scope base ordered online @ $65 (replaced later with a lower one in discontinued model @ $10!), barrel from Lija at $400, mounting the barrel = $600 (threading, reaming, and head space), new Warne Quick detach scope rings online for $65 (a good buy!), semi finished stock from private individual ad on Gunpost at about $110 US. I put the gun together after making modifications to receiver (feeding rail, extractor, and loading ramp) which requires a good gunsmith (maybe $400?). A fella in New Brunswick did the bluing for $150 Canadian after I did the prep work. A local machinist opened the bolt face using Weibe's booklet for guidance (he didn't know what to charge so I gave him $100C). This is the completed project (April to August 2023). I have posted a video of me cycling the rifle and it is slick, fast, and faultless.
View attachment 604162
Last month while looking for more ammo components I spotted a nice used stock at a very good price. What the heck, I needed something to do. Required more work than expected (including fitting crossbolts and wrist reinforcement rod - both of which I've never done before) but it turned out well. Also added a new 1-4x scope ($130US).
View attachment 604163
So that will give you a rough idea of expenditure. If I'd chosen another action to build on, the aftermarket options probably would have been more limited and more expensive. Your gunsmith might want to modify the existing bottom metal but I'd advise spending the money and ordering one. 375 is a good choice because stuff for them is easy to get, especially ammo and components (404 not so much!). Definitely spend the money for 3-position Model 70 safety. For comparison, those safeties can also be had for building on 1903 Springfield and 1917 Enfield but at upwards of $500. Bottom metal for them is much harder to find (I can't find anyone making Springfield bottom metal).

Nice. Do you use monometal bullets? If so how do you find the seating depth of them.

I like the P14/M17 actions. A lot don't as they are big and heavy but the work and work well. They are a cock on closing design but cock on opening kits for them are about.

There is nothing wrong with the other options Hunter-Habib named.

Mud in the water, go with an action with fast lock time. Unless modified, this eliminates the Mausers, Enfields and Springfields. My pick, Winchester Model 70 or one of the customs.

1715095953716.png

I like the P14/M17 actions. A lot don't as they are big and heavy but the work and work well. They are a cock on closing design but cock on opening kits for them are about.

There is nothing wrong with the other options Hunter-Habib named.
Getting the ears carved off the receivers is a pain in the arse. The metal is VERY hard. Most builds get rid of the fat guppy belly magazine for something sleeker. I have seen them dressed up nice but is an expensive proposition.

Mud in the water, go with an action with fast lock time. Unless modified, this eliminates the Mausers, Enfields and Springfields. My pick, Winchester Model 70 or one of the customs.

View attachment 604182
Sorry, but I have to call BS on this. I own both Springfield 03A3 and 98 Mauser. The Springfield closes much slicker than Mauser. Both are cock on opening ... almost. Both do the final bit of cocking the striker as the bolt is closed. Mauser lifts the striker further than Springfield when closing. My Springfield almost closes itself in comparison. Haven't measured the bolt lengths but they appear to be about the same. Anyway, in real world situations a millisecond or two would never be a matter of life or death.

Nice. Do you use monometal bullets? If so how do you find the seating depth of them.
Barnes TSX 400 gr and I seat them to factory OAL which is just covering the canalure. Seem to group well enough. About 1.25" at 100 yards which is not bad for old 3x Weaver scope and 72 year-old shooter. Minute of buffalo.

Getting the ears carved off the receivers is a pain in the arse. The metal is VERY hard. Most builds get rid of the fat guppy belly magazine for something sleeker. I have seen them dressed up nice but is an expensive proposition.
I like the guppy belly mag and the bent bolt handle. Yes they are hard work to get up to speed as a sporting rifle. Can always get a Rem 30 if you can find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruby

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?