Controlled round feed for Dangerous Game

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
sorry if it’s asked all the time but! I read heaps on CRF vs push feed out of interest.
I believe the advantages are reliable extraction and reliable feeding in various positions.

One example I read was that if a hunter was knocked over it will feed upside down. We hope that doesn’t happen and we hope to make the first shot count and as a minimum have the DG quartering away not charging.

I see there are big bore push feed rifles from Sako and Remington.

I think my Tikka T3 .308 will feed reliably in unusual positions is the CRF feed advice relating to old push feed rifle design issues? Have some manaufacturers overcome these to make a reliable smooth action?

I have a Cz550 safari magnum but mainly due to being on clearance.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
chris,
any big well designed extractor will pull a case out of a chamber except untder extreme conditions.
it just so happens that a mauser has such a thing, and a winchester nearly as good.
a good extractor on a controlled round feed action MUST ONLY feed from the mag, and not allow the extractor to snap over the rim of a chambered round.
a pushfeed can push a round into the chamber, but will not extract unless the bolt is closed.
if you push such an action without closing, it will leave the round in the chamber.
under pressure this has been known to happen, then another round stripped from the mag and shoved against the chambered one, causing a jam.
by the time you clear it you might just be a smear on the dirt.
this is the primary benefit of controlled feed in a dangerous game rifle.
the round is captured by the extractor on the way in.
certainly this will aid feeding if you happen to be standing on your head.
controlled round feed is just what it says, - controlled round feed.

TheWhitetailNut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
If you want a rifle that feeds poorly, get a CRF action. Just search for threads on feeding issues, its always the great CRF that needs a trip to a smith, then another trip to another more magical gunsmith. There's no doubt they do have more surface bite for extraction. But as I type this, I'm coming to the conclusion stuck cases are a phenomenon limited to the poorly maintained guns of careless people, gun rags to hit word count, and most importantly...marketing material.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Well I have 6 CRF rifles and they are all smooth as butter with no feeding issues whatsoever. 5 of them shoot sub moa.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I have both - several of both - my current favorite African rifle is a Blaser R8 - not a CRF and a straight pull on top of that - works flawlessly. That said my CRF rifles are all perfectly dependable as well.

Reactions: WAB

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
If you want a rifle that feeds poorly, get a CRF action. Just search for threads on feeding issues, its always the great CRF that needs a trip to a smith, then another trip to another more magical gunsmith. There's no doubt they do have more surface bite for extraction. But as I type this, I'm coming to the conclusion stuck cases are a phenomenon limited to the poorly maintained guns of careless people, gun rags to hit word count, and most importantly...marketing material.

I suspect that this statement is a reflection on the sheer number of CRF actions that are rebarreled and otherwise worked over for larger than original chamberings and this is the aspect that many gun tinkerers have the most trouble with. Generally you do not hear of guns being built by competant gunsmiths lacking in this area.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
I have several of both also. One of each type has been to Africa with me. So far I have not had a feeding issue with either type. On occasion when I bought the rifle brand new, it typically took several range trips to smooth the action out. None of them have been to a gunsmith except for my RSM .404 which is a conversion.

TheWhitetailNut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
I suspect that this statement is a reflection on the sheer number of CRF actions that are rebarreled and otherwise worked over for larger than original chamberings and this is the aspect that many gun tinkerers have the most trouble with. Generally you do not hear of guns being built by competant gunsmiths lacking in this area.
No, I'm talking about brand new rifles out of the box. The sheer number of Model 700 clones being rebarreled is exponentially higher than CRF, and they are being cut for harder to feed cases. Entire companies have been built to specialize in making brand new CZ rifles work. Even more impressive are the highly regarded smiths that expressly exclude Kimber rifles from their guarantees, or flatly refuse to touch a Montana.

The fact that some would feel the need to say they have x number of CRF rifles that shoot sub MOA is further evidence in many ways they are inferior, it would be an aberration for even a cheap, new push feed rifle to not be. In fact, after 30 years of rifle lunacy and around 40 rifles I cant say I've ever had a push feed rifle not group .5-.8 with a hunting load.

A good, well tuned CRF is a thing of beauty. I once cycled a Kimber Superamerica in .308 that pulled my hand along as if powered by a specter. It's widely accepted that CRF's are the choice of Americans on safari, and they can be wonderful. I'm just not buying the hype.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I should have mentioned that I have plenty of push feed rifles in my safe as well. In 45 years of messing with rifles I have noticed no difference in the inherent accuracy of either and I have never had a feeding problem with a crf rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilbernic

Latest profile posts

Rickmt wrote on Justbryan's profile.
What is your new shorter rifle? Thanx Bryan !
raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!
Sarg wrote on Philippe's profile.
Hello Philippe, did you get my PM that I sent you earlier ?

Regards Mark
raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not