AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
While the Internet offers convenience, it can also enable scam operators to defraud buyers and sellers. Fraudsters can use the Internet to scam individuals looking to buy or sell products and services. Like many sites AfricaHunting.com has no verification or screening process for transactions.

Share your tips in the thread below as well. Here are some of the best ones that I could come up with but I am sure the community has some good ones to add.

Tip: Make payment via an escrow service like Escrow.com or GunTab.com whenever possible. Escrow is a financial arrangement in which two parties enlist a third party (who is neither the buyer nor the seller) to temporarily hold money, paperwork, or other assets for a transaction on their behalf before the transaction has been finalized. Be cautious when the buyer or seller wants to use an online escrow service you have never heard of as many scammers use fake escrow sites that may look like the real thing. Watch out for red flags such as poor spelling and domain spoofing. Never send financial information online unless the website displays a secure “https://” URL.

Tip: Beware of Internet payment services that you are asked to access through a link or in the body of an email. Remember that links can be masked, and logos and trademarks can be faked online. If you intend to use what you believe is a well-known Internet payment service, visit that company’s website yourself, rather than trust the information or link that another party is suggesting.

Tip: When you buy or sell online DO NOT post your personal information publicly. This includes personal information such as your name, address, phone number, email address... No one needs to know anything about you unless they’re buying whatever you’re selling or vice versa. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversations/Private Messages (PM) system here on AH.

Tip: Don't be rushed and a deal that sounds too good to be true probably is. Trust your instincts. Always follow your instincts. If something seems like it's not right, or someone makes you uncomfortable for any reason, just walk away.

Tip: When shopping online there is always a risk that the seller is a scammer with nothing to sell and that the photos of the item for sale were just stolen from someone else on the internet so one tip to avoid getting scammed with that method is to ask for specific photos. Ask the seller to send you a couple of unusual very specific photos of the item for sale, for instance if selling a rifle ask the seller to send you a picture with their forefinger in a certain odd position on the rifle and another with their hand holding the scope. Ask if they can send you a short video clip of the item. You can certainly suspect that something is not right if they won’t do this.

Tip: Do a reverse image search on Google. Not foolproof but this can reveal if the image was previously posted on the web. Search Google with an image instead of text by clicking here

Tip: Ask the seller for their full name, residential address, phone number and email address. Use Google to do a simple or reverse search of their name, address, phone number and email address. Call the phone number to make sure that the number given is indeed the proper number. Talk to the seller in person and also ask to do a video chat where you can see the person and the item. This suggestion is not full proof but often online scammers are selling items they do not own and just have taken pictures from the Internet.

Tip: Be wary of wiring money to a party that you don’t know. Many people mistakenly think that wire transfers, like personal checks, can be canceled at anytime. This is not true. If you wire money via Western Union or MoneyGram, it’s impossible to retrieve the money once it’s picked up at the other end. Because it can be picked up anywhere in the world, the money is virtually untraceable. Once money is wired overseas, United States law enforcement agencies may have little ability to recover lost funds.

Tip: For sellers cashier’s checks are NOT the same as cash. Counterfeit checks can look very authentic. Just because the money appears to be available in your account doesn’t mean that the check has cleared and is legitimate. Federal rules require banks to make deposits "available" to consumers quickly, often the following business day. A check takes a long time to clear. It may take a bank weeks to discover that the deposited check was fraudulent. The bank may still bounce the check if it’s a forgery. Once a victim wires funds onward from such a check, he or she may be liable to the bank for the amount wired. Typically the bank will not cover the loss, and expects the victim to pay the difference. You can check and verify its legitimacy by contacting the issuing bank. Do not use the contact information that appears on the check. Do a little leg work and obtain the contact information independently through legitimate directories.

Last edited:
The tip on the cashiers checks is right on. I had one individual I was sure was scamming me send a cashiers check to me. I took it to my local police who held it and notified me 10 days later it had cleared. That magic phrase everyone is looking for. So I asked, "it's legit then?" and he answered "no, not yet". Another 31 days and it came back as a forged check and I would have been responsible for $4,500 plus any penalties. The check has "cleared" only means a bank was willing to cash it, not that it is legit.

The tip on the cashiers checks is right on. I had one individual I was sure was scamming me send a cashiers check to me. I took it to my local police who held it and notified me 10 days later it had cleared. That magic phrase everyone is looking for. So I asked, "it's legit then?" and he answered "no, not yet". Another 31 days and it came back as a forged check and I would have been responsible for $4,500 plus any penalties. The check has "cleared" only means a bank was willing to cash it, not that it is legit.

100%. Be advised that a money order or a cashiers check is the OPPOSITE of surety. I don't accept them ever. I'd rather take a personal check than a cashier's check or US postal money order, the two most counterfeited form of financial instruments.

As vintageguy alluded, it takes about 45 days for a check to clear. When your bank makes funds available to you is the amount of time it takes the bank to feel comfortable that it has a 90% chance of being good. The bank knows full well that if it eventually bounces, YOU, the victim, are responsible for restitution. Frank Abignail Jr. wrote the book on this scam back in the day (his movie and book, Catch me if you can, is worth seeing). The scammer just selects routing numbers from small regional hubs that work slow so it takes a very long time to truly clear.

Paypal Friends-and-Family is guaranteed for the recipient and without fee, but the sender has ZERO fraud protection.

Regular paypal has fraud protection for the sender, but has ZERO protection for the recipient. Further, if paypal finds out it is a gun or gun-related (e.g. scope) they will ban you from their platform.

Venmo is owned by paypal, same story.

Zelle is great for instant transfers, but no fraud protection.

Wire transfer has no fraud protection for the sender, but the recipient knows the funds are good when the bank says they arrived.

For me, the easiest way to deal with people is to use a sniff test. Your gut is way more foolproof than any of the other options. Will the seller/buyer call you? In discussion with them, do they seem like good humans with like mindsets? Do they have the same peer group, being known to AH or other forums on the internet that are pretty tight-knit group? Do they know your operators or PHs? Do they keep their word in the little things like when they will get back to you, call you, or follow up?

My last trick knowing checks are pretty worthless things is when a buyer sends me a check and they say "Take all the time you want for it to clear". If they say that, I agree. When the check arrives, I send the goods promptly even though they thought it would take two weeks.

So far on this forum, I've bought about 20 items and sold about 20 items. I've had ZERO issues whatsoever but then again, we're all friends here. We read each other's posts, PM, hunt the same places...honestly, this forum is a lot safer than selling to the local guy from the saloon.

I started this thread after a couple AH members were scammed by someone in the Classifieds and so I would like to share his experience with all of you so that we may be better informed to prevent this type of thing from happening in the future.

Link to @PARA45 post where he is sharing his experience and lessons learned so other members do not become a victim like him:

Fortunately, it has been a very rare occurrence that something like this happens here however even though we are a tight knit community we are not safe from scammers.

Please share your experiences and tips here in this thread to help prevent members from getting scammed.

Tip: Fear of missing out, con-artists/scammers pray on this so if you're truly interested in purchasing an item you can always agree to it by posting "SOLD" only to ask questions and additional information afterwards. I think that any legitimate seller would not have any problem answering additional questions and send additional pictures before you send your money. If they can't or will not do that just walk away from the transaction. Also any legitimate seller would not have any problem with payment being a bit delayed, just don't jump the gun in fear of missing out!

As a general tip, scammers don't provide options and alternatives. They specifically need you to do things in a manner that is essential for their fraud to work.

As an example, I recently bought a scope on eBay. I realized i'm not going to be home to receive the scope. The average seller would immediately smell "this is a scam, this guy is asking me to ship the scope to a different address and I'm SOL for fraud protection because of this".

To demonstrate I wasn't a scammer, I said "hey, please take one of these three options, it would help me out." 1.) Deliver as planned, but please don't require signature required so I can get my neighbors to bring it in. 2.) Failing that, if you'll send it to my in-laws, that is truly ideal as that's where I'll be. 3.) If neither are acceptable, would you please hold the merchandise I already paid you for in full until XYX date before you ship?

Because I gave options, the seller in this case could pick the option and also be confident I'm not going to scam him. (because #3 would have protected him from a scam). As a result, the seller decided to take the risk and ideal option #2 because a scammer isn't going to provide various reasonable options.

Honest people are reasonable, scammers are not. When you are concerned about a scam as buyer or seller, providing options that are workable can often show you if it is a scam. If several reasonable options are not viewed as reasonable by the other party...it's a scam.

A member just contacted me to check on another member operating in AH message system offering a rifle for sale. After looking into that member's account the IP address is coming from Nigeria so clearly a scammer. Just banned that account @maxspentt.

I've said it and will say it again DO NOT do transactions with those soliciting you directly through the PM system.

Also do not hesitate to contact me via the PM system if you are being solicited by someone or if you have any doubt or suspicion about another member.

Once again a member contacted me today to check on a member operating in AH message system offering a rifle for sale. After looking into the information and writing that was provided to me it appeared clear that this person is a scammer so @joshherro7 was banned.

DO NOT do transactions with those soliciting you directly through the PM system! Contact me immediately if you have any doubt or suspicion about another member, I would rather have you be mistaken then be right.

While keeping the member's identity private I would like to share with you the message from the member who contacted me about this scammer:

Hello, I am messaging you because I believe someone who recently joined the site is trying to scam me on a rifle purchase. I posted something a week or two ago about wanting to purchase a rifle, which is how it started. I am attaching screenshots of our email chain about the deal as well as all photos provided by the seller (also working on uploading the videos provided), as well as a screenshot showing that one of the photos sent to me was posted on Guns International, discovered using a reverse image search (thanks for the idea). It would be great to get your insight on this, as I am still keeping my hopes high this is not the case, as this would be my first rifle purchase.

Thank you,
XXXXXXXXXX

Once again a member contacted me today to check on a member operating in AH message system offering a rifle for sale. A scammer with an IP from Nigeria, @Loadersam was banned.

Thank you to the member for taking the time to inform me of this ongoing scam.

DO NOT do transactions with those soliciting you directly through the PM system! Contact me immediately if you have any doubt or suspicion about another member, I would rather have you be mistaken then be right.

Last edited:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This member @Whitebear995 has been banned as it is believed to be a scammer and I'm not willing to allow this person to continue to sell on AfricaHunting.com.

Scammers have perfected their ways of ripping off people and nowadays take the time to do so. As you can see by the couple of scam operators who have been banned on AfricaHunting.com lately it is not because a member has hundreds of posts and a joined date from over a year ago that it is safe to do a transaction without more investigating and vetting. Like many sites AfricaHunting.com has no verification or screening process for transactions. USE CAUTION in the Classifieds it is a use at your own risk forum for buyers and sellers alike, caveat emptor. Buyers and sellers assume any and all risks as AfricaHunting.com cannot and will not be responsible for any transaction.

PLEASE READ Consumer Tips to Avoid Internet Classified Scams BEFORE PARTICIPATING IN THE CLASSIFIEDS:

And:

Also DO NOT do transactions with those soliciting you directly through the PM system! Contact me immediately if you have any doubt or suspicion about another member, I would rather have you be mistaken then be right.

These guys are taking advantage of the community spirit here on AH.
Please don't let your guard down.

If you even get a whiff, hint or smouldering thought that there is an issue, LET US KNOW. As Jerome said, we'd rather make a mistake and apologize than have a scammer win.

@Oyindamolsa, who is believed to be a scammer, has been banned for soliciting members directly through the PM system.

DO NOT interact or do transactions with those soliciting you directly through the PM system! Contact me immediately if you have any doubt or suspicion about another member, I would rather have you be mistaken then be right.

He contacted me through the PM system before you banned him. Sounded shady so I didn't respond.
I just got the same message regarding ammo I was looking for from a new user joeray1992. Almost the same message word for word. Selling ammo due to having cancer. Might want to check on this one.
@joeray1992 is banned.

Besides being banned, is there anyone who we can report these sc*umbags to? Until they get caught, they'll continue to try and scam us.

Thanks for all you do Jerome! (y)(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a lot of fun today with our newest scammer, JoshHunting in the classifieds. Beyond being an idiot and obviously from a former British colony, the dead give away were his images he chose to use.

One of the images was scraped from this very site and posted by a member back in 2021. Another image was from an article on Ron Spomer outdoors.

So here's how you catch a scammer easily:

1.) Download the images to your computer
2.) Go to Google's "Reverse Image Search"
3.) Upload the images on the reverse image search.
4.) Find hours of amusement as it shows where the picture actually came from in a google search.

The scenario of a scammer that actually owns the goods they are selling but intends to screw you out of your money is very rare. 99.999% of the time they own nothing and know nothing, they just stole images from the web of products they are trying to "sell". A quick google image search reveals that a great deal of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross