Combining Elephant and Leopard...Foolish or Wise

My very first safari included leopard and bull elephant, as well as 2 buffalo bulls and plains game. Shot a 58 lb bull on day6, a big Tom around day 11 or 12 and took pretty much everything on license except a bushbuck. This was in Zimbabwe but was for 24 days and many years ago.

Adding animals of the big five, especially in Zim is tough. Most lion hunts are sold as 21 day hunts and depending on area 2-3 years in advance. I wanted a second buffalo this year, but no quota was available.
Thanks for the heads up, I know outfitters
Like to be optimistic when booking hunts! I am going with the intention to Leopard hunt, and anything extra will just be a bonus.

I’m looking at the Save, had heard good things about the population of Ele and buff in the area. Lion would be by chance or if I get lucky and have an Ele carcass early to bait some in.

I’m actually contemplating the same thing-

Looking at 14 days with leopard as a priority and Ele as a “non-trophy bull” to make it easier. Will opportunistically add Buff and/or Lion. Plains game as needed for bait, and if an exceptional trophy presents.
If you want to hunt elephant with leopard in Botswana, it’s very possible. Let me know if you want info.

One other thing is that daily rates change on the type of hunt in Zimbabwe for the most part, for example a leopard/PG hunt alone is ~ $1,100 and a 14 day hunt. Lion hunt is sold as 21 days and daily rate goes to ~$2,000 (more in some other areas). Again, quotas are usually sold out by the time SCI and DSC are over

Unlike RSA you can't just order a lion from a catalog after your regular hunt and have it arrive in time for you to shoot.

One other thing is that daily rates change on the type of hunt in Zimbabwe for the most part, for example a leopard/PG hunt alone is ~ $1,100 and a 14 day hunt. Lion hunt is sold as 21 days and daily rate goes to ~$2,000 (more in some other areas). Again, quotas are usually sold out by the time SCI and DSC are over

Unlike RSA you can't just order a lion from a catalog after your regular hunt and have it arrive in time for you to shoot.
Fully aware of that. I have already worked out the contingencies, and coming early in the season. Will see how it goes. As stated will be happy with a leopard, anything extra will be gravy

Can't do your leopard next year in Zambia? Many good concessions for leopards in Zambia.

If we had the time to allocate it would be an option for sure.
'24 will be the year to do a longer trip.

My suggestion would be to do it if you can get an extra truck to do baiting etc. it is unlikely that you have enough time for great specimens if you are committed to a single activity and doing it well - hence the bait rig that gets cats to where they are huntable. But, sometimes, luck is your least costly friend … sometimes it’s just expensive.

Fully aware of that. I have already worked out the contingencies, and coming early in the season. Will see how it goes. As stated will be happy with a leopard, anything extra will be gravy
Early season hunts will limit you on high value species available because they will be booked up for season ahead. If you go on late season hunts that’s where you will find many additional options presented from left over quota that needs to be filled. I’ve been offered a problem lion once at time and highly regret not taking offer, but chance of opportunistic lion is extremely slim.

My recommendation is to take your time to see how the time vs game goes and make sure you have enough time to hunt both. To make it clear: You are hunting both elephant and leopard--that ain't the same as shooting them! Shooting them might take a while; there ain't no leopard trees in most of the elephant habitant and I ain't seen no elephant trees in the leopard habitat.

I strongly suggest that you schedule the hunt enough time to get your game without any: "If this is Tuesday,
are we in Namibia" sorts of goings-on.

Both your elephant hunts and your leopard hunt are important! Make sure you give them the time required to REALLY have a good hunt for both of them.

Good Hunting!

Rust Merchant

These kinds of things always come down to “it depends”. How much do you like to push yourself, how much experience do you have taking critically important shots in the condition you’ll likely be in after walking after elephant all day and then sitting in a blind, perhaps without time to eat, what is realistic in the area, what is your relationship with your PH (is he willing to say “this is a bad idea” if he’s concerned that he won’t be able to do his job properly/safely under the likely level of fatigue), etc etc. Obviously, from the tone of my post, I wouldn’t choose to do it, but that by no means says you shouldn’t. Some of us can point out the upsides, some the downsides, some both, but only you can filter that through your own abilities and values and decide what to do.

Pick a PH or two or three you want to hunt with and trust and ask them for details and options. Then book with the one that makes you the most comfortable. You definitely can do it in Zambia and Zim. I’m sure it’s possible elsewhere too. In quality places during the right period, I would think 14-15 days would be plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillK

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.