CLR

Dr Ray

AH legend
Joined
Apr 1, 2017
Messages
4,298
Reaction score
6,534
Location
Cairns, Australia
Media
53
Articles
5
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
7
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I MIGHT use CLR solution to clean any carbon or gunk out of my stainless steel barrels.

Question:

Has anyone used CLR in non-s/steel barrels and if so, what were the results?

I'd like to use CLR in a lever action
 
Very interesting, I’ve never heard of it used for that.
Me either.
We use CLR for cleaning toilets.
I stick to less caustic stuff for firearms.
 
I MIGHT use CLR solution to clean any carbon or gunk out of my stainless steel barrels.

Question:

Has anyone used CLR in non-s/steel barrels and if so, what were the results?

I'd like to use CLR in a lever action
@Dr Ray
I use brake kleen to remove carbon from both my stainless and chrome moly barrels.
Bob
 
I see. Thank you
 
Please disregard anything anyone tells you about steel if they are completely ignorant about what steel is. By definition ALL steel contains Fe (iron) with carbon, that's what steel is. High carbon, low carbon, alloy, stainless. Hardenability depends on carbon.

Low carbon steel (mild steel) contains between 0.05% to 0.25% carbon. High carbon steels contain 0.30% to 2.00% carbon. Above that and you have cast iron.

"Alloy steels" have various other stuff mixed in generally to enhance certain properties such as tensile strength. "Stainless steels" are a class of alloy steels that contain a minimum of 11% chromium, it still contains carbon

4140 Chrome Moly:
C​
Cr​
Mn​
Si​
Mo​
S​
P​
Fe​
0.38-.43%​
0.80-1.10%​
0.75-1.0%​
0.15-0.30%​
0.15-0.25%​
0.040% max​
0.035% max​
Balance​

316 Stainless:
CarbonSiliconManganesePhosphorusSulphurNickelChromiumMolybdenumNitrogen
316
Specification (max)​
0.080.752.000.0450.03010.00 – 14.0016.00 – 18.002.00 – 3.000.10

Without knowing the particulars, I would be cautious about using CLR as it is probably (my guess only) aqueous based and as such a corrosion risk. Even "stainless" steels are vulnerable to corrosion.
 
For carbon removal you might try some Quicksilver Power Tune from Mercury Marine.

I've used it to remove carbon deposits on diesel and gas engines with no problems.


.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.43.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.43.57 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.43.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.43.59 AM.png
    644.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.44.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.44.01 AM.png
    465.8 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I’d just run patch through until clear
Then use bore eliminator or Hoppes
 
Last edited:
you might have saved a gunsmith and a barrel maker from eating better than previously,
bruce.
 
I was going to clean barrels tomorrow but the rain is coming in and I don’t want moisture getting into gunsafe. I’ll clean next weekend.
Then I’ll report.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,298
Messages
1,572,025
Members
169,477
Latest member
boegrimesve1985
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top