Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
What is a good brush or vacuum to clean shoulder mounts.

What is a good brush or vacuum to clean shoulder mounts.
Have a look at this:

Air compressor with a blow gun. Clean the eyes with a q-tip and a little windex if required. Wipe antlers/horns with a damp cloth. Done.

I have found that all you do with a air compressor and a blow gun/nozzle it to rearrange the dust that you just blew off.

You need a way to suck it up so to speak.

I've good success doing some large trophy room cleaning to start with a soft bristle brush attachment for your vacuum cleaner. Always move the head in the direction of the hair never against or across it. Works very well on horned trophies as well to get into the rough spots in the horns.
After that, damp cloth can work well to remove any dirt that is still stuck to the hair. This can happen if there is an oily residue left in the cape from tanning or from exposure to the elements and household airborne contaminants such as from a kitchen. Only wipe with the hair direction. In some stubborn cases, I have used Windex on the cloth or lightly sprayed it onto the hair, but these were trophies that hadn't been cleaned in a really long time.
The main thing is to try and avoid getting the actual leather wet. Always starting with the easiest least intrusive method first and then see what you need to do after that. When dealing with really old trophies the leather and hair can be quite brittle causing more problems when trying to clean and refurbish them.

Forget the vacuum. Feather duster with the hair and remove cob webs. Get your hands on some of the cleaner they make for artifical plants . You spray it on and viola dust be gone . No wiping or anything.
We even spray it on horns, habitat bases, fake rocks and all. Been doing it for over 20 years no problem. Do eyes with q tip and windex. After that spray a little horse show and shine on the mount and give a bit of a wipe with the hair and you'll have a mount that probably looks better than when you first got it. Dont get the show and shine on the painted nose or eyes. If its a furry animal like fox , bear , coyote, use a womans blow dryer to fluff the hair back up.
You can order through amazon or buy local at places that sell artifical plants. No brand seems any better than any other . I reccomend my clients buy nu-leaf as its cheaper than most. There ya have it trade secret and all ! Warning extreme dusty mounts may need more attention.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross