Cleaning for Copper

I'm just curious as to how often people clean their rifle barrels for copper fouling. I've found that about every 50 rounds seems, for me at least, to be the time before accuracy starts to dramatically fall off.
@CharlesT
Since I started using Hogdon CFE223 in my son's 308 and my 35 Whelen I haven't cleaned my barrels. The 308 has had a couple of hundred rounds thru it and the Whelen maybe 75 rounds. Both are still relatively copper free.
My 25 Epps Newton improved gets cleaned when accuracy falls off. It still groups 0.8 inch groups at 200 yards after 150 shots so why clean it.
My gunsmith said he has seen more barrels worn out from cleaning than shooting them out.
After shooting I just give my bore a coat of INOX then patch it out before shooting.
Bob

When I decide to use a Copper remover it is Bore Tech's CU +2 that gets the nod. but I have another question for you guys, what kind of cleaning rod do you guys use? Mine are all coated, there is no way the plastic coating is going to damage a steel bore. IMHO Bore Snakes are for "field use" only.

When I decide to use a Copper remover it is Bore Tech's CU +2 that gets the nod. but I have another question for you guys, what kind of cleaning rod do you guys use? Mine are all coated, there is no way the plastic coating is going to damage a steel bore. IMHO Bore Snakes are for "field use" only.

My thoughts exactly on the coated cleaning rod. I use the Dewey coated rods and there's no way they damage steel.

I'm a clean freak - I clean after after every range session. @Vanguard2279 turned me on to Sharp Shoot R Wipe-Out Accelerator and Foaming Bore Cleaner and now that's all I use. Gets everything out including copper, and does a much better job than everything else I've used. No brushes necessary - just patch it out, run a patch with a few drops of oil down the barrel, finish with a dry patch or two, then done.

I'm just curious as to how often people clean their rifle barrels for copper fouling. I've found that about every 50 rounds seems, for me at least, to be the time before accuracy starts to dramatically fall off.
When shooting the barnes copper bullets it seem like every 30-50 rounds. That is why I quit using them.

I believe where smiths and others see barrels ruined by cleaning is from improper cleaning with the brass or aluminum take down rods. Also there are a lot of rifle owners who clean from the muzzle when cleaning a bolt action rifle.

When cleaned the proper way I can see no way that it would ruin a barrel.

Now for cleaning copper fouling from Barnes TTSX bullets do it right and you will have no problems. My .340 Weatherby has shot almost nothing else besides Barnes X, TSX, and TTSX bullets and I can clean it in 20 minutes with no copper fouling left in the barrel

I believe where smiths and others see barrels ruined by cleaning is from improper cleaning with the brass or aluminum take down rods. Also there are a lot of rifle owners who clean from the muzzle when cleaning a bolt action rifle.

When cleaned the proper way I can see no way that it would ruin a barrel.

Now for cleaning copper fouling from Barnes TTSX bullets do it right and you will have no problems. My .340 Weatherby has shot almost nothing else besides Barnes X, TSX, and TTSX bullets and I can clean it in 20 minutes with no copper fouling left in the barrel
How often do you have to clean it? How many shots? Maybe I am doing something wrong?

I use hopes elite copper remover. It is not ammonia based and does nothing to the steel unlike ammonia which will damage steel if left too long.

I normally just run an oiled patch through the bore followed by a dry patch after shooting. About once every 6 months I use an 13 step process that takes about a half hour not including the wait period. This is also only done for guns that fire copper jacketed bullets. My 12 bore shrifle and my handguns only ever see lead.

All of this is obviously run through the breech.

1. Run a patch of hoppes or gunzilla
2. Wait 15 minutes
2. Brush 10 strokes with a copper bristled brush wrapped with copper "chore boy" pad
3. Run patch of hoppes or gunzilla
4. Run two dry patches
5. Run a patch of hoppes copper eliminator
6. Wait 30 minutes to 2 hours
7. Brush 10 strokes with a copper bristled brush wrapped with "copper chore boy" pad
8. Run a dry patch
9. Run a patch of hoppes or gunzilla
10. Run two dry patches
11. Run a patch of WD-40/ATF/gun oil
12. Wipe down the whole gun with oiled rag (yes even the stainless ones).
13. Run 2 dry patches and put away.
@ChrisG
Sounds like a lot of work to me but basically I'm a slack ass.
I use foaming bore cleaner. Fill the bore with foam and leave until the foam subsidies then patch it out. Repeat if needed. Oil and put away.
Done.
Bob

@Shootist43
Art I don't have any coated rods but I religiously use a boring guide to avoid damage.
Bob

How often do you have to clean it? How many shots? Maybe I am doing something wrong?
I have shot it up to 30 round at one sitting before cleaning with no problems. That is about the limit unless I have the brake on.

I also shoot TTSX out of my .25-06 but the most that I have shot through it at one sitting was 40 rounds before cleaning.

Just as a FYI I clean after each shooting session. If I am hunting I don't bother cleaning until I am done unless I do something stupid like getting mud in the barrel

I use Dewey rods for all my cleaning and for range loading and cleaning for all my muzzleloaders. I must have 5 different Deweys. A good set of brass jags for all calibers is very useful too. If I'm cleaning from breech end I insert a bore guide into action/chamber for bolt guns. For lever guns, muzzleloaders and single shots that won't allow cleaning from muzzle- I turn the rifle upside down in the vise/cradle and use a muzzle guide. Took me a long time to stumble upon the advantages of cleaning from the muzzle with the gun upside down... like a brilliant flash bulb going off in my head! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!