CITES Leopard Permit!

Shakka

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
I applied for a CITES permit for my Zambia Leopard in September and I still haven’t received it yet.

They received it on September 15th and on USFW website, it says “pending.”
I messaged them a few times on my account but I haven’t gotten a response

Do any of you know how long it usually takes to receive your permit?

I applied for a CITES permit for my Zambia Leopard in September and I still haven’t received it yet.

The law is 60 days to approve or reject.

Telling you that fact should provide little comfort given the realities at present

Yea I am in the same boat still waiting

Glad it’s not just me. I guess I should expect this from a government run organization with Biden as POTUS

Mine took 6-7 months back in 2019. I would guess they are still averaging longer that expected. If it was me I would contact some of the import brokers and ask how long they are running on permits lately. That should at least give you a idea.

I spoke to Matt Meyers and he said that 3 months is about right BUT with COVID etc, who knows

My cat export permit took almost 10 months in 2019. Zambian government is slow...

If the law sais 60 days thriw that at them....

My cat export permit took almost 10 months in 2019. Zambian government is slow...
Your response brought a question to my mind….does USFW confer with the Zambian govt before issuing a CITES permit? I did send USFW all required Zambian documents.
I am blaming USFW but is it possible that the delay is on the Zambian end?

I'm still waiting for mine. Submitted back in June.

Approvals are taking longer than they are supposed to for some reason. It was a much discussed topic at the AGM a few weeks ago.
Zambia has cites quota approvals for the next 3 years as far as i know.
Approvals for cites imports to destination countries is a joke at the moment. But they do get done. It is just a slow process.

It could just be that the approval office in US is taking forever, if they need to liaise with the zambian agency offices, that will also delay things. We know all to well how slow the gov operations have become "due to Covid!".

Who are you hunting with here? Can they help follow up on the Zambia side to see if there is anything holding it up from here?

It can be many months. I would not expect anything in less than 4 months.

Who was POTUS in 2019?
Makes no difference it is a bureaucracy full of fat government workers that work at their own speed. Ever buy a suppressor? It takes over a year to sign and stamp a piece of paper!

@Shakka
my application was submitted on 9-3-2021. I just recieved some questions regarding skull size and photos so it appears they are looking at mine now.

@Shakka
my application was submitted on 9-3-2021. I just recieved some questions regarding skull size and photos so it appears they are looking at mine now.
That's great to hear! I sent them a document from my PH with all relevant info so see what happens...maybe soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.