Choosing a Hunting Outfitter

Related but a little off topic (didnt want to make a whole new thread though). I thought I wanted to wait 3-4 years and do a big safari (14-21 days with DG and PG, bow and rifle) just in case some unforeseen personal or world events prevent me from returning. Does that seem logical or should I do a 7-10 day on a smaller scale in like 2 years maybe focusing on some archery, and then plan a longer but not as big as originally thought a couple years after that? Use the first one as a "trial run" to learn the ropes etc., or just do the research to ensure the big first one will be fine?

Anyone that's gone either route can confirm they liked how they did it or wish they did it differently?

Related but a little off topic (didnt want to make a whole new thread though). I thought I wanted to wait 3-4 years and do a big safari (14-21 days with DG and PG, bow and rifle) just in case some unforeseen personal or world events prevent me from returning. Does that seem logical or should I do a 7-10 day on a smaller scale in like 2 years maybe focusing on some archery, and then plan a longer but not as big as originally thought a couple years after that? Use the first one as a "trial run" to learn the ropes etc., or just do the research to ensure the big first one will be fine?

Anyone that's gone either route can confirm they liked how they did it or wish they did it differently?

I don't know about everyone else, but at around the 10 day mark of any action I'm ready to get back to sleeping in my own bed and seeing the dog...and I guess my wife too.

I'd rather do two separate trips even if it costs a couple thousand dollars more

One other thought.....I hunt in Africa....usually about 1 week while I'm there (my non-hunting wife loves it, too) We usually mix that week in with our 2 months of working with wildlife and wildlife professionals on a volunteer basis. If you are interested in not only having the experience of hunting some of the world's finest animals and want to REALLY learn about conservation in Africa...with hands on experiences, let me know. We've been doing this for years and can't wait to get back yearly. Note my photo with a rhino we dehorned.

Find out if you and the oufitter are going to click/connect?
In the old days before emails and Skype and Whatsapp the only easy comminaction was by phone or fax today you can whatsapp, skype or video call for so cheap that there is no need for hassles.

I have found that most people who hunt internationally are succesful in that same way they have strong personalities and so do a lot of the bigger famous outfitters now although a PH and Outfitter is in the people pleasing serving game if you are going to spend 7-21 days with someone you don't connect with you will not have a good time no matter what great trophies you have hunted.

DSC and SCI shows helps if you want to meet the oufitter and the crew sometimes but the shows are sometimes so busy that you will never have more than 20 minutes with them.

My experience with finding PH's for my multiple Africa hunts is that you have to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust and hopefully know reasonably well. It is important to speak with someone who has hunted with the PH. I've had the misfortune to hunt with a PH who repeatedly put his clients at unnecessary risk for his own financial gains, who consumed alcohol (several drinks) and then took client out hunting when impaired. Also had the great fortune to hunt with great PH, who had superb hunting skills and integrity. It only takes a split second for a bad decision to become a life long problem, so do your homework and check it twice before you book your trip.

I think it absolutely makes sense to dip your toes into the water before leaping into the deep end.

Go hunt some (relatively) cheap PG for 7-10 days, learn how Africa ticks, then go back for the big ticket items. With some of the deals around at the moment, it's never been more accessible.

I think it absolutely makes sense to dip your toes into the water before leaping into the deep end.

Go hunt some (relatively) cheap PG for 7-10 days, learn how Africa ticks, then go back for the big ticket items. With some of the deals around at the moment, it's never been more accessible.

I think that to be solid advice. However, I've been hearing rumblings of US import to leopard being threatened soon and at 30 years old im hoping im gonna live a while longer and thats a long time to regret not doing what it takes to make something like that happen while I can. Coupled with a couple reasonable quotes from some top names and it looks like priorities and timeline are changing rapidly for me

I think that to be solid advice. However, I've been hearing rumblings of US import to leopard being threatened soon and at 30 years old im hoping im gonna live a while longer and thats a long time to regret not doing what it takes to make something like that happen while I can. Coupled with a couple reasonable quotes from some top names and it looks like priorities and timeline are changing rapidly for me

I guess I am comparing apples and oranges, but...

Should there be a ban on leopard, could you live with a mountain lion hunt?

I guess I am comparing apples and oranges, but...

Should there be a ban on leopard, could you live with a mountain lion hunt?

Mountain lion are on my list for one day, but they just dont count to complete the big 5 and arent quite the same to get to look at every day. Hopefully one day I'll have them side by side at home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg