Chicago customs broker

ScottP

AH member
Reaction score
My taxidermist in South Africa recommended two customs brokers in Chicago to handle the air shipment of my trophies: D&L CHB and Coppersmith Global Logistics. Does anyone have any experience with either of these companies, and, if so, do you recommend?

Thanks much.

Scott P

I used coppersmiths in Chicago to clear my Cameroon shipment in September. I was happy with the service they provided. Communication was good setting up account and before and during the clearing process. I’ll use them for my next shipment as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Much appreciate the advice.

Best,
Scott P

I've used Coppersmith twice and picked up at their warehouse just outside of Ohare Airport. Been extremely happy both times and using them for my taxidermy in progress now.

Both used extensively and both excellent.

@TROPHY SHIPPERS twice so far (2021 and 2022) and will use again early next year. I have had zero issues on clearing and subsequent shipping to taxidermists.

I've used Coppersmith twice and picked up at their warehouse just outside of Ohare Airport. Been extremely happy both times and using them for my taxidermy in progress now.
Heading to SA for the first time next spring. I probably need to study up on the taxidermy process, but I wanted to ask since this is a little close to home for me.

The customs brokers bring in the taxidermy and do all the work associated with that, and then do they normally ship to where ever you need to? If that's the case, I'll just drive up to Chicago and pick up like you did. I'm about 5 hours south of there. Might save me some money on shipping.

I too used @Yellow Shark Logistics from Namibia to coppersmith in Chicago to Kanati. Very pleased with coppersmith and yellow shark. Waiting (im)patiently for mr spots from Kanati.

I may have had an unfortunate situation but my experience with D&L was not a great one. My crate was shipped July 1st of 2022 and at that time there were some MAJOR staff changes that occurred leaving the crate "sitting" for a ridiculous amount of time due to those staffing changes which resulted in large storage fees that were ultimately blamed on the Holiday. Another issue was that initially I was asked to provide a taxidermist location on where I anticipated the final destination to be and they hired a truck to freight the crate without confirmation or acknowledgement from me or the taxidermist. Luckily he was at the shop when the truck arrived or more charges would have occurred.

Again this was my experience and I would not say this is normal from the research I did along with speaking to people I trust that have utilized D&L, but that was the first and last time for me.

I was Badger Cargo last year from Joburg via Delta Airlines to Chicago then Laura with Coppersmiths handled all the paperwork great job. she then set me up for delivery to Mitchell, Sd which is about 9 hours to their warehouse and the cost was only 300.00 for the delivery I could not have done it myself for that price.

I’ve used Coppersmith as a broker on my four previous trips and plan to use them for the taxidermy that’s in process in SA as we speak. Always via Chicago and no drama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you