Cast bullets

Amon458

AH veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone on here have any experiance with cast bullets on thick skinned animals and if so would you use them again and was penitration an issue? Do you cast your own and what mix would you recommend? This would be for handgun use.

Thank you for your time.
Amon458

I've only killed two animals with cast bullets from my handguns. Both were DIY spot and stalk hunts for black bears. The first was with a 220 grain SWC (Lyman #452460) from a 1911 .45 acp, and the second was with a 250 grain SWC-GC (Lyman #429244) from a Ruger SBC .44 Rem mag. Both bullets were cast from wheel weights.

Both bears were shot broadside, just behind their shoulder, and both bullets penetrated the lungs and were recovered from the opposite shoulder. Both bears died within 25 yards of where they were shot.

Took a large hog (sow) with a lot of fat using a .44 magnum with a LEE cast SWC weighing 245 grains. The bullet never exited, and I never did find it, but the hog didn't go much more than 5 or 6 steps. Shot her right behind the shoulder at about 10 paces, if that.

Amon............you may want to consider one of the books : RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, or Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. There is an amazing amount of knowledge in these two books, and this is not a very easy question to answer. I have shot about 60 head of game with cast bullets, maybe a little more. From 100 to 1000 pounds. Most bullets at under 1300FPS. If your bullet is big enough, and hard enough, penetration can be astounding. It can also be poor. I have had a hardcast 405 grainer break both shoulders on a zebra at 77 yards (1234fps) and a 348 grainer fail to exit the ham of a mule deer at 45 yards ( 1600 fps, about) You will have a lot of fun getting to know cast bullets.................................good hunting................. FW Bill

I haven't used cast bullets on thick skinned game but I have used them on local deer. depending on how you make it and what you make it out of, a cast bullet can be very soft or very hard. for thick skinned animals I would want the bullet to be very hard. if your velocity is going to be 1000-1100 fps then I would want a very heavy large bullet for the job. the old black powder 45-70 Gov. cartridge comes to mind. it used a 510gr .458" cast bullet over 70gr of rifle grade black powder.

I actually have an original Springfield Armory Trapdoor rifle chambered in 45-70 Gov. dated 1892. with the traditional load it throws a 510gr cast bullet at around 1100-1200fps if memory serves me right. I would happily trust this rifle to take any non-dangerous game. the long heavy 510gr bullet will completely pass threw end to end on our local white tail deer but still tends not to be a fast killer. animals shot by these slow cast bullets tend to travel further then animals hit by faster modern expanding bullets (they still die though).

-matt

I am building a 400 lee Speed (a wildcat or mildcat if you will) that is the 405 Winchester chamber shortened to 2.410 and the case cut to 2.405 with a 320gn cast bullet loaded to 3in COAL and should get into the 22-2300fps range. I will be casting it with a copper and tin added alloy that ages (after 2-3 weeks) to 25BHN and while it is hard it is not brittle like some of the lino enhanced alloys. I would have no hesitation in using it on a buff with any reasonable shot that would be taken with a similar weighted C&C jacketed bullet.

Attachments

• The400enfieldcastbullet_zpse8ebc011.png
    The400enfieldcastbullet_zpse8ebc011.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
And just read more carefully and see you are using a handgun which puts different requirements on the table.

Amon............you may want to consider one of the books : RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, or Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. There is an amazing amount of knowledge in these two books, and this is not a very easy question to answer. I have shot about 60 head of game with cast bullets, maybe a little more. From 100 to 1000 pounds. Most bullets at under 1300FPS. If your bullet is big enough, and hard enough, penetration can be astounding. It can also be poor. I have had a hardcast 405 grainer break both shoulders on a zebra at 77 yards (1234fps) and a 348 grainer fail to exit the ham of a mule deer at 45 yards ( 1600 fps, about) You will have a lot of fun getting to know cast bullets.................................good hunting................. FW Bill

You absolutely, positively MUST add the following to the list:

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/books.shtml

It's the best cast bullet (for hunting) book on the market. Period.

By the way, Veral's moulds are the best, too. I've a 400 grain, .475 LFNGC for my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh. Top notch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross