Cast Bullets. An alternative to jacketed bullets

Missouri Bullet Company makes a powder-coated, 275 grain cast bullet in .366 or 9.3. They list it for the 9.3x57 but I don't see why I couldn't use it for the 9.3x62. At just over $50 for 250 bullets, I thought it would make a good practice bullet.

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=487&category=6&secondary=36&keywords=

Does anyone have a 9.3x62 load for such a bullet? Any suggestions on where to look if you don't have a favorite load?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 9.54.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 9.54.42 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Lyman's 47th edition handbook shows loads for a 280 grain bullet in a .35 Whelen. I would use starting loads over a chrono, compare and adjust loads as necessary.

Lyman's 47th edition handbook shows loads for a 280 grain bullet in a .35 Whelen. I would use starting loads over a chrono, compare and adjust loads as necessary.
@7x57 Joe
The Whelen can be loaded with 275gn Woodleigh PPSP at 2,550 too 2,650 fps using CFE223.
Bob

Please let me clarify. The Lyman 47th edition has loads for a 280 grain CAST bullet for the .35 Whelen. Hope this hasn't created a problem.

Well folks, finally had the chance to go to the range and test those loads in the 375. Sad to say no joy! The test loads with W760 have promise shooting into 1.25 - !.5in groups. Good enough for hunting but I know that rifle can do better. Ram Shot Big Game was an utter disappointment. Too slow a powder for cast loads. Big Game works best at near maximum with jacketed bullets and that's too much for cast bullets. It shot shotgun patterns rather than groups. Next test loads will use Reloader 15. Stay tuned for future results.

I get better results with both jacketed and cast bullets when I use powders that are designed to operate at less than 100% capacity and are of the "faster" burning rates (rifle). My favorite is SR4759 but since its discontinuance I've been trying TrailBoss as well as some in the IMR4198-4227 class

I get better results with both jacketed and cast bullets when I use powders that are designed to operate at less than 100% capacity and are of the "faster" burning rates (rifle). My favorite is SR4759 but since its discontinuance I've been trying TrailBoss as well as some in the IMR4198-4227 class
Good choices all and in the past have used them also. Now days I've found (for me that is) the faster medium burn rate powders work very well. IMR-3031, IMR-4064 and Reloader15 are examples giving near jacketed velocities and great accuracy. To bad the SR series powders were discontinued.

I'm currently working on developing loads for 375rcm for an upcoming bear hunt. I'm ending up using 3031 under 270gr spire point. It seems to be an accurate combination.
I'm not after the highest velocity. The load I'm happy with (so far) is 56.5gr for about 22-2300fps.

Well folks, I finally got enough of a break in the rainy weather to get to the range to test fire the next batch of loads using those 280grn FNGC bullets in the 375 H&H. As stated in my earlier post, W760 had promise but not happy with the results. Rimshot Big Game was too slow and I suspect W760 was on the verge of the same problem.
Going over all of my old notes and looking at the powders I have on hand that would be in the slightly faster burn rate area I decided to try Reloader 15. Good density as I didn't want to use a poly filler. Cartridge OAL was set at 3.450in. CCI #250 magnum primers were used but may not be mandatory (I'll try CCI 200's later) Federal brass once fired was used. I won't print the powder charges here but if interested send me a PM. I tried 2 loads with this combination. I'm happy to say both loads were outstanding!! Virtually the same size delivering 5 shot groups at 5/8th inch. The photo I've enclosed had one called flyer but all groups were the same. The top load delivered 2320fps with NO leading after 20 rounds. I'm a happy camper. I think for elk in the black timber, black bear, or your local feral hogs this would be a dandy load.
I hope this thread has been interesting to you folks who responded. Thanks much for sharing your views with me. Happy hunting and skoal.

Well,... I don't know what's going on but I'm unable to attach the pictures I have to add to this post. Oh well, momma always said I'm not the brightest bulb in the box. Sorry about that folks.

Well folks, I finally got enough of a break in the rainy weather to get to the range to test fire the next batch of loads using those 280grn FNGC bullets in the 375 H&H. As stated in my earlier post, W760 had promise but not happy with the results. Rimshot Big Game was too slow and I suspect W760 was on the verge of the same problem.
Going over all of my old notes and looking at the powders I have on hand that would be in the slightly faster burn rate area I decided to try Reloader 15. Good density as I didn't want to use a poly filler. Cartridge OAL was set at 3.450in. CCI #250 magnum primers were used but may not be mandatory (I'll try CCI 200's later) Federal brass once fired was used. I won't print the powder charges here but if interested send me a PM. I tried 2 loads with this combination. I'm happy to say both loads were outstanding!! Virtually the same size delivering 5 shot groups at 5/8th inch. The photo I've enclosed had one called flyer but all groups were the same. The top load delivered 2320fps with NO leading after 20 rounds. I'm a happy camper. I think for elk in the black timber, black bear, or your local feral hogs this would be a dandy load.
I hope this thread has been interesting to you folks who responded. Thanks much for sharing your views with me. Happy hunting and skoal.
@Rick HOllbert
As they say on the A team you've got to love it when a plan comes together.
I don't think anything will walk to far after being hit with a 286 FNGC at close on 2,400fps. That would be a nice mild load in your rifle and give you a bucket load of smiles
What is the diameter of the flat point. The bigger tha flat the harder the hit and the straighter the drive.
Have fun my friend.

@Rick HOllbert
As they say on the A team you've got to love it when a plan comes together.
I don't think anything will walk to far after being hit with a 286 FNGC at close on 2,400fps. That would be a nice mild load in your rifle and give you a bucket load of smiles
What is the diameter of the flat point. The bigger tha flat the harder the hit and the straighter the drive.
Have fun my friend.
Bob, as we found out while talking the other day, the meplat is .23in in diameter. Not ideal as a .25in would be but still large enough for tissue disruption and great penetration. As it is a heat treated alloy it won't shatter on heavy bone and some expansion will occur.

Does anyone have experience with cast bullets in a 450/400 3”? I was thinking they could make a good plinking, or even moose load.
Hello Aaron, as soon i i find a mold for my newly made 404 Jeffery (similar ballistic to 450/400 ) I will cast bullets and work developing a good load for it ....will keep you posted .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross