Cash & Airports

RBurg44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
looks like reading up some online anything over 10k can potentially be an issue at airport. Can you put cash in your locked gun case? Maybe some in there and rest keep on you? Let me know what you all do for your safais?

I would never put cash in anything that is checked (not carried on). Too much risk of it being stolen. What if your gun case goes missing?

No offense, but are you nuts? ! ? I would never put a dollar bill in checked baggage - no matter how many locks it had - much less ten large. Either you tip extraordinarily well, or you need to discover the convenience of an international wire transfer.

Credit Card, PayPal, travelers checks, or wire transfer. I would never carry that much cash... anywhere. Hell with my luck I would get drunk and leave it at the pub:sneaky:

looks like reading up some online anything over 10k can potentially be an issue at airport. Can you put cash in your locked gun case? Maybe some in there and rest keep on you? Let me know what you all do for your safais?
You're right. Transporting more than $10,000 in cash (or negotiable instruments) requires that you report the 'export' to the US government, and to declare it to most countries - western ones at least - upon arrival. Failure to do so could subject you to penalties if you're caught, and will certainly slow you down both if you declare (usually minor) and especially if you don't (usually much longer). This means all the cash you have on you - so if you have lots of US$, a bunch of N$ or Rand, some Euros for your stopover on the way home, etc., you need to count it all.

I assume the odds of getting caught are low, but I'm a firm believer in being on the right side of these things, especially since I've been known to take a firm stand with customs officers (generally to my wife's chagrin). I am aware of one person who was caught, and his name was in the computer for a full search every time he arrived back into the country. Who needs that?

There's another issue about travelling with cash. Many African countries require you to declare how much currency you have on you when you arrive - both of my recent hunts did. In that case, I would be very reluctant to declare a large amount of money to anyone at an airport, including customs officials.

As for where to keep the cash you are carrying, you've already seen what others think about checked luggage. I completely agree with them. If cash is stolen, you will generally have no recourse at all. I keep my cash on me, in a pocket of my travelling pants, which are like cargo pants. Lots of room. A money pouch attached to a belt or around your neck will also work.

There is almost always a way to sort out cash if you get after it early enough, and speak to your outfitter. Having said that, I too tend to carry a fair amount, although much less than $10k. I have only myself to blame, but my Ph's have come to expect pretty good tips!

Traveling with more than $10k in cash isn't an issue, it just requires you to declare it in most countries and remember that it's at their conversion rate, not the currency you are carrying. That said, there are a lot better ways to pay for a safari. And, yes, always on you and never in checked luggage. Even carry on is at risk if you fall asleep or go to toilet and someone goes through your bag.

As to what I did on my hunt I converted $1000 US into SA Rand at my bank here in the states, they don't charge a fee at my bank but yours might. I then placed that money into my backpack/carry on to keep with me. I also had $1000 US cash in 100's and 50's that I had on my person. When I went over in 2015 no one asked me how much cash I wanted to declare or how much I was bringing into the country.

As for the hunt and extra trophies I paid in advance for two that I knew that I wanted above my package price so the outfitter already had the money. However I did make arrangements that if I decided to go a little bit wild that I could transfer the funds to him once I returned home. This worked out quite well for both of us.

As for where to place you money, put it somewhere that you are not going to flash it to anyone. I had around $100 in my wallet along with my CC's and ID and that was all. I also had a couple hundred rand in my pocket just for tips or whatever once I reached SA. All the other cash that I had was out of sight but right where I knew that it was at all times.

If you are that worried..... They make this underwear that has a pouch in the "front" designed to store money, etc. So if nothing else it just looks like you are sporting a bulge. :LOL: Keep some small bills (1's, 5's, 10's, etc. ) in wallet for incidentals & gratuities.

I keep 1 and 5 dollar bills in my pocket for tips the rest in my wallet or money belt. I've never been asked when I have got in country in Africa, but I've been ask twice as I was boarding the plane in Calgary. Always know how much you have once I had $14,000 and the second time I had $3,000. Both times they wanted to see it. Do not, as others have stated, put it in your checked baggage.

If you are that worried..... They make this underwear that has a pouch in the "front" designed to store money, etc. So if nothing else it just looks like you are sporting a bulge. :LOL: Keep some small bills (1's, 5's, 10's, etc. ) in wallet for incidentals & gratuities.

I think you have it backwards keep a few big bills in the wallet and stuff the hell out of the front pouch with the small bills :)!

I have always had some cash on me but both times the hunt was taken care of by cards. In the airport there is a place where there are three or more banks with their ATM's that you can get local Rand to spend on small things. I learned that the US dollar isn't used in many places. The first time I went I was lucky enough that another person in camp had a bunch of Rand and sold me some or I wouldn't have been able to get side of the road trinkets pops snacks at gas stations etc.

Never take anywhere near that much! Most outfitters accept wire transfer and some have US bank accounts

I put my major cash money in my money belt, I also kept some 100s in my left front pocket and some small American bills along with a few hundred Rand (bought at the airport in the US)in my right

Please keep in mind, failure to declare $10,000 or more can, worst case scenario, get you arrested and the government officials can permently seize the money. If you are even close to $10,000, count everything you have, all currencies and provide a detailed list.

I have carried large amounts of cash in and out of the country to Africa and other places. Not really that big a hassle going out. Headed back in it certainly was a pain.

But seriously, most guys have a bank account you can wire international to.

Don't pack any cash in your checked luggage, if SAA is involved it will most likely be found at the expense of whatever is in your bag/guncase...
Send cash ahead to the outfitter, if you dont spend it... well then you didnt hunt enough! ;):)

I've done it going into the states for SHOT in Vegas I just declared it soon as they found out I was hitting Vegas we ended up chatting about the hotels ECT seems the customs guys go a few times a year for poker tournaments but they did warn me I had to declare it going back out of the states with it and I hadn't thought about declaring it to leave the US at all

Last November entering Vic falls I had to request declaration form as there was no way my wife and I would be down to only one thousand each exiting in four days Carrying my declaration I expected some delay on departure. No one cared and just have a nice flight. But I belief you are okay of you declare cash entering

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.