Carrying your rifle

Both the PH's I have used have made me chamber a round and put the safety on when starting a hunt. I use Mauser rifles. This surprised me.

Back home I close the bolt on an empty chamber to prevent ingress of twigs and dust etc, chambering a round before a stalk and only take off the safety immediately before a shot.

Safety is however a state of mind and nothing man made can be trusted.
 
@ Colorado, you sound like the type of client that I liked to have! Just to emphasise what we have been talking about here, I'll relate a story of a PH who had a client who insisted on his rifle being 'safe'with a round in the chamber with the bolt closed after the trigger had been held down. On his first safari, the client had an ''accidental discharge''. how that occurred is unclear but fairly obvious. The PH discussed it with the client AGAIN but the client insisted on his ways! Some how the PH agreed (I sure as heck wouldn't of!) to doing a second hunt with this same client a year later. During this hunt, the client failed to clear his rifle after a walk and bagged the gun which was stowed on the back of the truck in the gun rack. (and yes the PH didn't check!) At the next stop, the client reached up and pulled the gun from the bag which then ''accidentally'' fired! The .375 H&H soft point bullet hit the roll bar split in 2. One half slit the scalp of the PH (standing on the other side of the truck)open about 3" and the other half hit the tracker full in the chest. Both were hospitalised. The client took no responsibility for this at all. Not so much as ''ï¾'m sorry, can I help with the medical bills?'' nothing!
I liked Forrest Gumps mothers speech "stupid is as stupid does!"
 
Thanks Ole Bally, it would be a privilige to hunt with you some time.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,323
Messages
1,572,901
Members
169,637
Latest member
HalOsulliv
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top