Carrying ammo to Africa

Might recheck SA regulations. If memory serves, SA requires a metal locking ammo box. Other countries the pelican case is good to go.
This is disinformation

I used Pelican 1200 all three trips through RSA including last July. It was a separate check bag from JBerg to the east Cape, the last two times including last July. It was also a separate checked bag from JBerg to Namibia

The airline people physically checked the Pelican case. It clearly is not metal. If there had been a problem w plastic case I would certainly have been called out for it

Dozens (hundreds?) of people here have used Plastic Case like Pelican to travel on planes in RSA

There is zero issue with Pelican Case in RSA

This is disinformation

I used Pelican 1200 all three trips through RSA including last July. It was a separate check bag from JBerg to the east Cape, the last two times including last July. It was also a separate checked bag from JBerg to Namibia

The airline people physically checked the Pelican case. It clearly is not metal. If there had been a problem w plastic case I would certainly have been called out for it

Dozens (hundreds?) of people here have used Plastic Case like Pelican to travel on planes in RSA

There is zero issue with Pelican Case in RSA
Well glad to hear that but I was going by what Customs in Joberg told my group when we went through there on a previous trip. I can assure you I'm not in the habit of giving disinformation. As the rules are constantly changing in SA this can happen. Sorry you take exception to my post.

I had zero problems in Joberg last June with a MTM plastic ammo box, and neither did the dozen other hunters in our group.

Well glad to hear that but I was going by what Customs in Joberg told my group when we went through there on a previous trip. I can assure you I'm not in the habit of giving disinformation. As the rules are constantly changing in SA this can happen. Sorry you take exception to my post.
You got bad info. Eight trips over the last ten years with a Pelican 1200, no issues in RSA. IATA frowns on metal ammo boxes. In the event of an onboard fire, they are an explosion hazard.

You got bad info. Eight trips over the last ten years with a Pelican 1200, no issues in RSA. IATA frowns on metal ammo boxes. In the event of an onboard fire, they are an explosion hazard.
Glad to hear that sir. Was going by what my travel agency had told me. I happily stand corrected.

I fly with various weapons in the US several times per year and outside the US occasionally. I always read the TSA (or corresponding branch of the country I’m traveling to) and airlines regulations myself. I’ve found the regs to be straightforward. I then keep checking on them for changes to the day of travel. I print off all agency/airline regs that day. I’ve had a one airline clerks and one TSA agents try to enforce the wrong policy in almost 40 years of doing this. Showing them their own overcame it each time. My point is dont rely on the varied opinions here on this topic, read the regs and know them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudraQ7266

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you