Care Of Your Mounted Trophy

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by LordRusty, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Mtgoat

Mtgoat AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
    I wanted to share some more information about the danger of insect damage. First, here is a link to a Yale University technical discussion of the problem. Unfortunately there are no illustrations. [NHCOLL-L:5363] RE: moths and taxidermy mounts

Another site (in the UK I believe) with a good discussion about the various things that can damage your mounts is here: taxidermy - Pests and Problems - Museum Pests It includes citations for its information sources. It mentions another important source of damage - sunlight. Just as sun can bleach fabric, it can also bleach the hair on your mounts.

Next, I recommend that you take a look at this site. While it does wander off into the weeds a bit since the site is about antique taxidermy, it is an excellent discussion of the insect problem and includes photos.
    Taxidermy Housekeeping

Finally, if you want to read more, I recommend a Google search for TAXIDERMY INSECT DAMAGE. It will produce many sites with a wealth of information and, of course, some that are way off topic.

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Thank you for the resources Mtgoat!

3. Sir_Phobos

Sir_Phobos New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    What great advice, I will be sure to keep the needed items in a separate container for easy and convenient carry and use on my trophies. I want to be sure that how they look now will be how they look every time i see them.

4. sonnyn913

sonnyn913 AH Senior Member

Member of:
    SCI International, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    RSA, Limpopo region, VaalWater and Free State
    Thanks for the great info. It will come in handy for sure.