Capstick "Death in the Long Grass" is superb

First book I ever read. Still a favorite for any age person who enjoys the outdoors experience. Chesapeake Bay I have only driven by and across. Unimpressed doing that, but reading the book it was a magical place for a boy with a wonderful old man!
It is worth visiting Southport, North Carolina. It is near the mouth of the Cape Fear, River south of Wilmington, NC. It is where his grandfather lived, and where Ruark spent so much time creating those memories for the old man and the boy books. (Don't tell them they are anywhere near the Chesapeake!) There was a Robert Ruark society that gathered there annually, but I have no idea if it is still a going concern. The Robert Ruark Inn is the old Akins-Ruark house (Capt Adkins was his grandfather). We spent a glorious evening their among the members of the society once thirty years ago at their annual gathering sipping mint juleps.

Have you read other hunting authors? I ask because Capstick can't hold a candle to Jim Corbett and John Taylor. J.A. Hunter's biography is great too, although not long enough!
Death in the Long Grass is the best book I have ever read, not just best book about hunting. I have a hard time believing that there are other hunting writers that are in another league. You certainly have captured my interest. Where do you suggest I start?

John, I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll send you a PM. BTW, how is your recovery coming along?

Death in the Long Grass is in the mail to me as well as The Maneaters of Tsavo as we speak. I've read both once before but enjoyed them very much. You guys have given me more options when I'm done with them.

Indeed a great book. I have heard a lot of BS about Capstick over the years, some maybe warranted, the vast majority not.

I’ll put something into perspective: Death in the Long Grass has never gone out of print since its release 43 years ago. It was on the shelf of my local B&N before the shutdown.

I can’t think of another outdoor writer who has enjoyed that kind of success with a single book.

Cheers to Peter!

If you guys get the chance read “Man Eaters” by Capstick. From piranhas to cannibals, he covers about ever way a human can be consumed.

It is worth visiting Southport, North Carolina. It is near the mouth of the Cape Fear, River south of Wilmington, NC. It is where his grandfather lived, and where Ruark spent so much time creating those memories for the old man and the boy books. (Don't tell them they are anywhere near the Chesapeake!) There was a Robert Ruark society that gathered there annually, but I have no idea if it is still a going concern. The Robert Ruark Inn is the old Akins-Ruark house (Capt Adkins was his grandfather). We spent a glorious evening their among the members of the society once thirty years ago at their annual gathering sipping mint juleps.

I used to live very close to Southport (Oak Island) and got to go into the house before it became a bed and breakfast. Have also spent about 60 hours looking at his papers at UNC among many other sources. Researching Ruark is what led me to get to know Harry Selby and his daughter Gail back in 2003.

If you guys get the chance read “Man Eaters” by Capstick. From piranhas to cannibals, he covers about ever way a human can be consumed.
:sick: Sounds macabre :eek:

I used to live very close to Southport (Oak Island) and got to go into the house before it became a bed and breakfast. Have also spent about 60 hours looking at his papers at UNC among many other sources. Researching Ruark is what led me to get to know Harry Selby and his daughter Gail back in 2003.
I have always loved Ruark's books, especially "The Old Man and the Boy," which is perhaps the best hunting/fishing/growing-up tale about the rural South anybody ever wrote. I live on Oak Island now, just across the waterway from Southport and the old house described in the book. I think most of the people in my family have read the "Old Man and The Boy," and some have read it many times. I also enjoy Captstick, and of course Hemingway, but Ruark is where my roots are. We've DONE the things he did, seen the things he saw in this low-country land of live oak and cypress and marsh grass and salty estuaries. That he described these so well inspired trust in all he said later about his African adventures.

I have always loved Ruark's books, especially "The Old Man and the Boy," which is perhaps the best hunting/fishing/growing-up tale about the rural South anybody ever wrote. I live on Oak Island now, just across the waterway from Southport and the old house described in the book. I think most of the people in my family have read the "Old Man and The Boy," and some have read it many times. I also enjoy Captstick, and of course Hemingway, but Ruark is where my roots are. We've DONE the things he did, seen the things he saw in this low-country land of live oak and cypress and marsh grass and salty estuaries. That he described these so well inspired trust in all he said later about his African adventures.

That’s very cool. Oak Island has a changed a lot since I lived there (late 1990s). I used to live between e beach and e dolphin by the tennis courts right behind what is now Pepperoni Grill. There used to be three concrete “houses” there. I lived with my brother. He was asst. superintendent at Bald Head Island golf course, and i was working on a book. Fun times!

Ruark Definitely hits a “soft spot” with people much more than Hemingway. It’s been fun getting to know him over the years.

i have enjoyed capstick. every book he wrote was in my never to be humble opinion...time well spent. raurk was great as well, hemingway of course was a great writer . each author gave me his interpretation of his experience or deciphered the experiences of others. each inspired me to want to hunt africa, every read taught me something. for that, i am grateful. and yes, death in the long grass was superb!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross