Cape vs. Flatskin

IA Monsterbuck

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada
I recently went on my first safari and shot a few animals. To stay within a reasonable budget I opted to only do shoulder mounts on three and some skull mounts. I'm starting to have some second thoughts. I'm wondering if a taxidermist can tell me the difference in the cuts between when they cape out an animal for a pedestal mount and when they skin them for a full flatskin. Is it possible to still use that skin and have a shoulder or pedestal mount done or is the hide pretty much ruined for that purpose?

No, not possible to use the flat skin for a shoulder mount. The cape starts at the midpoint of the body and goes forward to encompass everything on the head. A flat skin they start cutting right behind the head and go back. Not to mention on a flat skin they cut the underside of the neck and you can't stitch that up on a shoulder mount.

You can usually find capes for sale.

No, not possible to use the flat skin for a shoulder mount. The cape starts at the midpoint of the body and goes forward to encompass everything on the head. A flat skin they start cutting right behind the head and go back. Not to mention on a flat skin they cut the underside of the neck and you can't stitch that up on a shoulder mount.

You can usually find capes for sale.
Thanks for your response. Looks like a euro mount it is.

I recently went on my first safari and shot a few animals. To stay within a reasonable budget I opted to only do shoulder mounts on three and some skull mounts. I'm starting to have some second thoughts. I'm wondering if a taxidermist can tell me the difference in the cuts between when they cape out an animal for a pedestal mount and when they skin them for a full flatskin. Is it possible to still use that skin and have a shoulder or pedestal mount done or is the hide pretty much ruined for that purpose?
Oh man, no regrets! Africa is there for your Mulligan!

If the look of the Euro is the issue then check out what you can do with them bronzed. It's quite cool.

Oh man, no regrets! Africa is there for your Mulligan!

If the look of the Euro is the issue then check out what you can do with them bronzed. It's quite cool.
No, it's not that, I enjoy the euros. I'm just thinking the skull doesn't really give you the idea of just how cool/weird a wildebeest looks. No worries, and I still have the flatskin so I may do something with that.

Some of my euros of more local variety...
uploadfromtaptalk1521117290480.png

Wildebeest cape for a mount 200.00 to 250.00 if done here, have plenty of stock capes

Wildebeest flat skin, when properly trimmed and backed, makes one of the two prettiest African rugs (the other is of course the zebra) - particularly with tail and full neck mane left on.

Wildebeest flat skin, when properly trimmed and backed, makes one of the two prettiest African rugs (the other is of course the zebra) - particularly with tail and full neck mane left on.
Which wildebeest, black or blue?

The reason I asked, is I am heading to SA in June. Not sure which of those I wanted to shoot, and I will get the skin tanned... @Red Leg said the skin is beautiful but he did say which one.

Red Leg,

I'll be honest with you., I've never been much of a rug fan. The two bears I shot I did a full body and half body mounts and eveb the zebra I shot I am planning on a pedestal mount rather than a rug. That said I do really like the looks of that wildebeest rug, especially the mane and tail. I may just have my flatskin made into a rug after all. Thank you for the pictures!

I will let Dennis Harris chime in on the numbers but if I had it to do over I would have the skulls shipped to my taxidermist (Dennis) and have hime buy capes here in the USA.

I hear they are plentiful and inexpensive on common PG

Red leg. Can you post another pic of the BW rug. For some reason I can’t see the picture. I have a flat skin and may make a rug. Thx

When I was in SA last year my outfitter had a BW flatskin tanned and used it for a rug on the concrete floor of his office. I forget exactly how old he said it was but more than 10 years he had been walking on it and it still looked pretty good. He said the BW skins stayed pretty much longer than zebra if actually used for a rug. His was so pretty I decided on a Euro and flatskin for my first Blue on the spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg