Cape Buffalo bow hunt questions

buckmarkhunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So I have decided on my first safari to go after a cape with my bow. I have ordered a Hoyt carbon defiant with 80 lb. limbs. My question is what arrow and broad heads do you guys like. I have heard great things on grizzly sticks and easton full metal jacket in dangerous game. I also was thinking on german kinetics 315 gr. How does an arrow that is pushing 1000 gr. fly, is there crazy drop?

Do you like any of these set ups? Any input would be great. Thanks

That was a good read, a lot of good info there. I am sure I will have more questions but thanks for posting.

The Carbon Defiant is a 331 FPS IBO speed bow. If you ordered the Carbon Defiant Turbo, it is a 350 FPS IBO speed. That is actually a lot of extra power and due to a 1" shorter brace height. The shorter your draw, the bigger that extra 1" draw length is going to make.

I just got back from a cape buffalo bow hunt. I shot mine from 15 yards and got a pass through, hitting ribs going in and out. Arrow weight was 840 grains and I was using a Mathews Monster Safari, which is a 350 FPS IBO speed bow and was using a 28" draw length and was set at 81 lbs.

I used an Easton Dangerous Game Full Metal Jacket arrow, 250 spine and a 150 grain Silver Flame broadhead arrowhead from Grizzly Stick, 4" fletches and a nockturnal nock.

I was very happy with the performance of the arrows and broadheads. The arrowheads were not my first choice but what I brought (muzzy phantom) wasn't shooting well and so I bought the Silver Flames in Limpopo at an archery shop in Thabazimbi. I will be using the same arrows on my next dangerous game hunt. I also shot into a giraffe frontally and got 27" of penetration.

The 315 grain arrowheads look nice, but the drop on a 1,000 grain arrow is pretty big. Also, with such a heavy broadhead, you will likely need a 200 spine arrow, which will cut further into your options.

I would recommend getting the Turbo bow if that is still an option. The extra speed, kinetic energy and momentum will be helpful. And while I expect to be throwing a 1,000 grain arrow when I eventually go after an elephant, it really isn't needed for the cape buffalo if you are pulling 80lbs on a 350 IBO speed bow and the extra speed will get you a little better range. Good luck and post pics when you get back.

EDIT: I just saw the Defiant Turbo is not available with 80lb limbs. I think that is crazy that their faster bow doesn't have the strongest limbs available for it. That would be like Tesla allowing their performance package on the single motor version and the dual motor not having it.

I checked my bow and at 844 grains, I was hitting 233 FPS with my monster safari bow. When I put in a 1007 grain arrow, the speed dropped to 214.7 FPS. My guess is you would probably be 15 FPS below those numbers with the Hoyt, assuming a 28" draw length.

Last edited:
Try an arrow with total weigth over 900 grains, I think in FMJ DG 300 spine and a big COC broadhead (I like VPAs).
I´ve killed some feral bulls (i mean cattle... weight about 800 kg...yes ....i know that they are not Cape buffalos!!) using an Elite Impulse 34, 80#, 28,5 DL with a 680 grains arrow... pretty sure that a buffalo with a 900 grains and up is going to die if you do your part.

Last edited:
To hit 900 grains, you are going to have to have a heavy broad head and will probably need a 250 spine arrow. I am using a 250 spine and need a 200+ grain broad head to hit 900 grains arrow weight. If I had a 300 spine arrow, it would weight less, making me have a bigger broad head and would cause it to be underspined, I think, if you are using a bow with enough weight of draw and IBO speed to give the energy you need,

Thanks for all the info guys. This is why I joined this place. My hunt is not til April of 18 and my bow is still a month out as I had to order it. I can't wait to try some of these suggestions will let you know how I come out.

great thread. makes me want to take a bow next time!

You might consider tip weighted arrow as well if a suitable broadhead is not up to the weight.

You can cheat a little by adding weight to the nock end to off set the heavy head. Adding weight to the rear is like going to a higher spine. The efficiency of your bow will show big with a heavy arrow. I've played with a little of bows and seen some not do so well with heavy arrows. I'd look at a good coc head and maybe the gold time fact system that allows you to add weight.

Are you sure that adding weight to the back end increases the spine? It might flex less when being pushed off your bow by the string, but it should flex more when it hits the animal and is being stopped from the front.

I think most of the hard core dangerous game type of arrows are going to have some form of weight loading on the front end as an option. I know Gold Tip has their FACT system and Easton has their inserts as well.

Yes adding weight changes the spine just like adding to the front does. The arrow does some strange things depending on where the weight is. Ofcourse you'll want a foc in the 13%-15% that will get the best flight and penetration.

Ok, I just got a call from Schaffer archery in MN and my bow is set up. He has easton DG FMJ arrows 17.2 gpi, 250 spine with 4 inch veins, an 85 gr brass insert, stainless collar on shaft before broad head and 175 gr. strickland archery helix 2 blade head. Total arrow weight 803 gr with kinetic energy at 98, using a Hoyt carbon defiant at 80 lb. Cant wait to get this thing in my hands and start practicing for a cape!

Very interesting thanks for the info everyone! For what it's worth I have had success with 800gr arrows with a good grizzly stick leading the way. Shot placement is very important, you hit a big shoulder bone you're not going to get very far, the ribs overlap so rib bones are a given. Ideally behind the shoulder angling forward, (ideally ideally as the front leg stretches forward A) . Don't get too close, best penetration happens between 20-30 yards once arrow has settled. Good luck and keep us updated

Bow hunting is picking up a lot of steam around the world. I was in camp this year with several hunters and all of them brought their bow along and took some game with them. Heck there is video on the web of elephant taken with a bow. I say go for it sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber