Canvas rifle slip

Russ16

AH legend
Joined
Nov 10, 2024
Messages
2,287
Reaction score
4,634
Location
Mid-Atlantic
Media
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
Hunted
US (34 states), Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Romania, Scotland, Zimbabwe
I thought there was a thread on this but can’t find it.

I’m looking for a canvas rifle slip to use when traveling. Something flexible enough to roll of fold up in luggage but that covers the gun when heading out to the vehicle etc.

I use something like this when I travel with my shotguns but can’t find one that will hold a scoped rifle.


Does anyone know of where to find one? Or do you have something similar that you use?

I saw the one on the Rigby site that’s kind of similar but at close to $500 that’s more than I want to spend for a lightweight gunslip.
 
..Look in Ebay. There's a Tourbon foldable case which may fit your needs.
 
I used the Tourbon rifle case on my safari last month. It did a good job protecting the rifke from dust and scratches. However, it has no padding at all, so some degree of care is needed to keep from damaging the gun.

 
Is the one in that link what you used? Does it fit a scoped rifle? It calls it a shotgun case and none of the pictures have a scoped gun.

Easy to find these things for shotguns. Harder for scoped guns.
 
Murray makes a really nice foldable soft leather scoped rifle case for international travelers. The S-14 is lined with fleece that offers some padded protection. Unfortunately it is a bit pricey. Check out Murraycustomleather.com. I use their A-1 slings for my rifles which I’ve always felt are the best.
 
I like the Red Ox Flat Dog. It does exactly what described.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
Something like this?

That’s padded I’m looking for something thinner and more flexible. What I use for shotguns is literally a single thickness of canvas. It keeps the stock from getting dinged if you’re getting in and out of the truck and you can walk across a hotel parking lot or the like with your gun covered.
 
Murray makes a really nice foldable soft leather scoped rifle case for international travelers. The S-14 is lined with fleece that offers some padded protection. Unfortunately it is a bit pricey. Check out Murraycustomleather.com. I use their A-1 slings for my rifles which I’ve always felt are the best.
Just looks that up. Actually the Murray Quick Slip which is unloaded leather is closer to what I’m hoping for. But it’s still pretty pricey.
 
A couple of options:



I am sure Brady used to make one as well. They are popular for hill stalking here.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RLL
Another option is Chapman Luggage in Carlisle. They are really good quality and a small family firm. I think they make bespoke rifle slips. I have one of their standard slips. It is really good quality but very rigid.
 
I usually take some cheap Cabela's or what ever I can find with water resistant covering and some padding for just that purpose use them while I'm there then give them to my PH or the camp so the future hunters will have something to use and so far have had no issues with gun damage after several trips. last spring I was lucky enough to pick up several Allen cases at Walmart for$10ea (reg $44-59) and I bought all they had so I'm set for the next 3 or so safaris. only true quality bargain I've ever found there.
 
I like the Red Ox Flat Dog. It does exactly what described.
I’m not finding that on their site maybe I is discontinued.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
 
A couple of options:



I am sure Brady used to make one as well. They are popular for hill stalking here.
That’s exactly the kind of thing I want. I think I paid $50 for the ones I have for my shotguns. Over $300 seems a high price for a pretty simple item.
 
Another option is Chapman Luggage in Carlisle. They are really good quality and a small family firm. I think they make bespoke rifle slips. I have one of their standard slips. It is really good quality but very rigid.
I have lots of cheap ones with padding. They are a pain to fold up and pack. But I guess I may wind up using one of them.
 
Is the one in that link what you used? Does it fit a scoped rifle? It calls it a shotgun case and none of the pictures have a scoped gun.

Easy to find these things for shotguns. Harder for scoped guns.
Yes, that’s exactly the one I used. It will fit most scoped rifles.
 
I had these made
Up from eland
Leather. They roll up just like canvas.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 134
I had these made
Up from eland
Leather. They roll up just like canvas.
Id be interested to know who made those for you. I’m hoping to do something similar when I hopefully get a buffalo next year. That’s part of why I don’t want to spend too much on one now—I hope to have a bit more special version in the future.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,346
Messages
1,573,628
Members
169,774
Latest member
AlisiaStei
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top