Can't get my rifle to shoot straight

re: my response to your original post, I asked questions and stated facts. Good grief man, don't go all snowflake on us. We got enough of that shit in this country.

Gentlemen, This is a WORLDWIDE forum and we all need to be mindful of that. It is one of the great strengths of the community.

The only Snowflakes around here are falling out of the bloody sky today.
Count yourself lucky. :)

There you go Mark, Smart man, Take it to a Professional. Otherwise you'd spend a lot more time, $$ and headaches listening to people trying to diagnose on the internet.

FWIW: My $$ is on scope/mount or bedding.
Thanks. But I can confidently say it is not the scope or mount. I have tried 3 different scopes, all with QD rings on the rail and the same results. All 3 scope and ring combos were used on other rifles with no issues. My $$ is on an issue with the barrel/rifling or twist rate.....

If you brought your rifle to me the first thing i would ask is if it ever shot right.

If you answered yes, my next question would be, what did you do to it, because after years of fixing boom sticks ,about 99 % of the problems are operator induced.
No and nothing.

Yes, heaviest bullets shoot worst (156gr) and lightest (120gr) are least worst but still terrible and all are inaccurate. Groups measured in double digits (inches) vs. groups measured in high single/low double digits

Ok Mark,

Is there a point somewhere where the barrel touches the stock? Or does it touch everywhere?

No it is fully free floating (one of the first things checked) I didn't shoot it a lot when I first got in Germany) and assumed the terrible groups were due to ammo/scope/mount as I never had issues with my Heym bolt actions. When I got back to the states I swapped out rings/scope with good combos from other rifles (receiver has a picitiny rail screwed and bonded from the factory) and got the same results. Changed the synthetic stock to a GRS laminated stock, same results. Aside from scopes/rings and later on the stock I did nothing to the rifle.

Good Mark,

The next thing will require a bit of shooting.

Take a matchbook cover and fold it over and slide it between the barrel and the stock about 4 inches from the end of the stock and with a cloth tape ( so it doesn't stretch) wrap it around the stock and barrel 3 times tight on top of one another. Take a full size b27 and turn it backside facing you and put one dot about a foot from the bottom and take 3 pokes at 50 yards. See what happens.

By the way, is the action bedded into the stock?

I know you are shipping it off to JJ, can Heym USA help you out?

1FA9174E-1AFE-4831-A645-DEAAE396771E.png

I think JJ is who Heym USA uses. JJ told me he would call Heym if he found an issue related to manufacturing.

I think JJ is who Heym USA uses. JJ told me he would call Heym if he found an issue related to manufacturing.

Good deal, I’m sure they will figure out the problem.

I had a similar problem with a Parker Hale rifle back in the mid 70(s), when the gunsmith contacted Parker Hale's Distributor and discussed his findings I had a replacement rifle in less than a week. I hope you get a similar response. My one and only Heym rifle is a very accurate 375 H&H.

I am sure it will get figured. I just hope it is something simple that was overlooked.....

Have your smith check the barrel for straight. It could possibly be bent.

Gentlemen, This is a WORLDWIDE forum and we all need to be mindful of that. It is one of the great strengths of the community.

The only Snowflakes around here are falling out of the bloody sky today.
Count yourself lucky. :)

the stuff falling from the sky down here is in the form of drops, not crystals. and we're getting a lot of it. ;)

I assume you're hand-loading. My 6.5x55 likes a bit more jump than you might imagine. How far off the lands are you? Have you tried seating your bullets deeper?

SAAMI for this caliber is 3.150. I seat mine (Hornady ELD-X 143 gr) at 3.10. If you look at the Nosler data, their loads are seated all the way down to 3.025.

@Shootist43 should be along shortly. He's the one that keyed me into seating them a good bit deeper than SAAMI spec. He should be able to provide further insight.
Might seem like a poor suggestion, but I would try a box of Norma onyx loads thru this. Norma specs are cIP not SAAMI and they have loaded millions of rounds in this caliber and also seats the bullet there.

Might seem like a poor suggestion, but I would try a box of Norma onyx loads thru this. Norma specs are cIP not SAAMI and they have loaded millions of rounds in this caliber and also seats the bullet there.

Yup, Norma #2 manual shows a COAL for the Oryx in 6.5x55 all the way down to 2.913", I believe.

I think it is too late, but my suggestion would have been to contact the manufacturer and see if they would take it back and check it. Given all that has been tried, I think it must be a bad barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross