Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA (Life), Safari Club Intl
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada(Saskatchewan), USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right)
Picked up a rifle. The stock has a major dent about 1 1/4 in front of the bottom metal as can be seen in the pic below. Can something like this be fixed or do I just live with it. I mean, it's a hunting gun not a piece of art. It is a tool, but if I can have it fixed/repeaired for a reasonable amout of money I would.

Thanks

stock Dent.jpg

Worth a try yourself, it's not hard. Pull the stock off and remove the bottom metal. Use a thick towel, dripping wet, regular iron on steam setting. Use reasonable pressure rocking the iron sideways over the dent slowly. You want to get the wood pretty warm, but not so hot you can't touch it. Don't let the towel get dry, use the steam feature constantly. Once the wood is very warm, leave the now hot towel on it and let it cool. Check the results once the towel is cooled and repeat as needed. You should be able to see the change.
You can pull a pretty significant dent using this method, but as TroyF mentioned, if the wood fibers are broken, you will only reduce the dent but not be able to remove it.
The steam method will impact the finish, so be prepared to light sand (use 320 or 400 grit, lightly) the hairs raised and re-oil the stock. There are some pretty good products from Formsby that will allow you to blend the existing finish in and avoid the need for a complete refinish on the stock if there is a noticeable change in coloration in the repaired area. Let the re-oiled stock dry for 30-40 days, wax the entire rifle with Renaissance Wax, including the metal. Go hunt!

If you can't get it out then use a router to the depth of about 2-3mm. Epoxy a decorative metal disc in there with a design/picture/initials.
Yea that was kind of thinking. Adding some decorative metal plate/disc if the steaming didn’t work.

Worth a try yourself, it's not hard. Pull the stock off and remove the bottom metal. Use a thick towel, dripping wet, regular iron on steam setting. Use reasonable pressure rocking the iron sideways over the dent slowly. You want to get the wood pretty warm, but not so hot you can't touch it. Don't let the towel get dry, use the steam feature constantly. Once the wood is very warm, leave the now hot towel on it and let it cool. Check the results once the towel is cooled and repeat as needed. You should be able to see the change.
You can pull a pretty significant dent using this method, but as TroyF mentioned, if the wood fibers are broken, you will only reduce the dent but not be able to remove it.
The steam method will impact the finish, so be prepared to light sand (use 320 or 400 grit, lightly) the hairs raised and re-oil the stock. There are some pretty good products from Formsby that will allow you to blend the existing finish in and avoid the need for a complete refinish on the stock if there is a noticeable change in coloration in the repaired area. Let the re-oiled stock dry for 30-40 days, wax the entire rifle with Renaissance Wax, including the metal. Go hunt!
Will give this a try
Thank you for the informative and detailed post!

There was never a better time to get a new stock with high grade wood
Yea, seems like a good excuse :)
Might have to look into that. There are a couple dudes in Michigan that are pretty famous...but pretty expensive to match

Try what Woodcarver says.

If it's not to perfection, just hunt with it and don't give it a second thought!

You can apply multiple application of polyurethane sanding smooth after application until you fill it in. Tape off arouund the damage to prevent it from running off. I have done this on quite a few of my stocks and it works fine. Use fine steel wool to remove the shine

Picked up a rifle. The stock has a major dent about 1 1/4 in front of the bottom metal as can be seen in the pic below. Can something like this be fixed or do I just live with it. I mean, it's a hunting gun not a piece of art. It is a tool, but if I can have it fixed/repeaired for a reasonable amout of money I would.

Thanks

View attachment 491186
@TERMINATOR
you don't see it when it's on your shoulder so unless it is affecting the performance I wouldn't worry about it. Steming it may work but for me it's to close to the front action screw and I would worry about streaming other areas at the same time.
That's just me tho

Upgrade, it is obviously bothering you. Good wood is an investment, not in resale, but in pleasure, and that is the best motivator of all.
I like the way you think :)

@TERMINATOR
you don't see it when it's on your shoulder so unless it is affecting the performance I wouldn't worry about it. Steming it may work but for me it's to close to the front action screw and I would worry about streaming other areas at the same time.
That's just me tho
Definately something to take into consideration.

I am leaning towards having someone put an inlay of some type there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleyPa

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.