Can a single species save an entire ecosystem?

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
CAN A SINGLE SPECIES SAVE AN ENTIRE ECOSYSTEM?

The story of the mountain nyala of Ethiopia is an interesting one. In September of 1910 the English naturalist Rich Lydekker received word from a Piccadilly taxidermist Mr. Rowland Ward. He reported that the skin, scull and horns of an unknown kudu-like antelope had been brought into his taxidermy shop. The animal had been shot in the Abyssinian Highlands by a Mr. Ivor Buxton earlier that year. It appeared to be a cross between an nyala and a kudu and it was suggested that it be known as the spotted kudu.

Lydekker received the donated specimen on behalf of the British Museum and gave it the Latin name Tragelaphus buxtoni. He thought that it looked more like an nyala than a kudu and decided on mountain nyala for it’s common name. Little did he know at the time that the link between this species and safari hunting would be responsible for the preservation of Afro-montane woodland in central Ethiopia in the 21st century.

This 5-minute documentary follows this story and is an abridged version of the full 30-minute documentary.

The Mountain Nyala Of Ethiopia by Hoas posted Jun 29, 2018 at 5:36 PM

Source: The Conservation Imperative

Thanks for sharing! A little history lesson in the morning is a great way to start the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,