Camels and the 9.3x64

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
would anyone have used the 300 gn swift aframe on camels at 2400 to 2500 fps?
better suggestions?
maybe they are like zegra or giraffe in size, and bulls have big bones.
their chest seems to be further back and have less depth than many animals.
bruce.

G'Day Bruce
Have hunted camels and while they are a big animal, they are really not that hard to kill.....can just take a while to die sometimes, if that makes sense. I used a .350 Rem Mag with 225gn Woodleigh PP bullets which did the job emphatically. There's a few hunt reports on here from 'Code4', including a group I was lucky enough to be involved in. Everything from 7x57, .308 to .416 Rigby were used with success. I'd have no problems using the bullet and rifle combination you mention with confidence. The Woodleigh 9.3's come highly recommended as well.

Cheers
blacks

edit.JPG

hi blacks,
thank you for the reply.
i am also from sth oz.
sounds like i might be as well or better off with 250 gn barnes or swift bullets, as they might offer a little more point blank range than the 300s?
i went for the 300s thinking penetration might be good on such big animals, and it still might be for raking shots. we will see.
i have shot a few with the 7mmstw and 150 gn barnesx.
frontal shots drop them instantly.
one i shot in the shoulder a little over 1/2 way up - not so good.
bottom 1/3 and behind the shoulder seems a more deadly shot.
the stw has a wonderfully flat trajectory, but could be a little light.
bruce.

G’day Bruce,

Marvellous wild beasts to hunt!

We used .30-30, 7mm STW, .22-250, .308, .375H&H, .416 Rigby and longbow and recurve.

I just know the combo you mentioned will be perfect for them. Absolutely no doubt.

Dad can’t recall if they were 165 or 175 grains. We think they were Nosler Ballistic Tips. Dad recalls having trouble with a camel that soaked them up when he misjudged the range, and it was much further than thought. I recall it was an absolute hammer out to 200m, but knowing what I do now I’d use Barnes TSX for something that zippy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you