Bullets For The 35 Whelen

jwp475

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jul 7, 2021
Messages
415
Reaction score
768
With bullets being difficult to come by and Hammer bullets being readily available I order 100 to try out.
They are beautifully made

20211012_142205.jpg
20211012_142029.jpg
 
the one thing you gotta verify before buying Hammer bullets is your twist rate. The heaviest Hammer bullet I could stabilize in my 280 AI is 141 grain.
 
the one thing you gotta verify before buying Hammer bullets is your twist rate. The heaviest Hammer bullet I could stabilize in my 280 AI is 141 grain.
I saw the twist rate emphasized on their website. Is this different than a Barnes or similar all copper bullet?
 
I saw the twist rate emphasized on their website. Is this different than a Barnes or similar all copper bullet?
As far as I can tell, they're pretty unique.
 
I loaded and shot the hammers last fall. Super fast and easy to find an accurate load. We shot 2 animals with Barnes and 3 with Hammers. I’ll continue to use the hammers. Best performance I’ve had with a solid copper bullet, and probably the most accurate bullet regardless of design. I am a big fan.
 
jwp475. what are you thinking of for a "load." Did / does Hammer offer any suggestions?
I contacted them directly about this. My thought was that these would be loaded much like Barnes. He told me to use Nosler data.

If I can't find a good load for my 280 AI between A Frame 160 and Oryx 156, Hammer will be what I try next.

131 gr is my best option for Hammer. Unfortunately, Nosler doesn't have a 125 or 130 gr in 284, but based on the 140 gr load data, I'm pretty sure I could get north of 3200 fps with those.
 
Last edited:
Holy sh** Batman, based on this I may have to look into getting some of those Hammer bullets.

Bob, this a "smoking" load, velocity beats mine by a bunch. There is one caveat however, that is what "pressure" is being developed by this load? QuickLoad doesn't have Power Pro Varment in its data base. It does however have CFE 223. The 66 gr. load as mentioned above pushing a 225 Gr Accubond was ONLY 20,000 PSI above the PMax listed for the Whelen.
 
Holy sh** Batman, based on this I may have to look into getting some of those Hammer bullets.

Bob, this a "smoking" load, velocity beats mine by a bunch. There is one caveat however, that is what "pressure" is being developed by this load? QuickLoad doesn't have Power Pro Varment in its data base. It does however have CFE 223. The 66 gr. load as mentioned above pushing a 225 Gr Accubond was ONLY 20,000 PSI above the PMax listed for the Whelen.

One of the owners of Hammer Bullets told me that he didn't think that 66 grains of CFE223 would get this bullet up to pressure. So I never shot the CFE223 load.
Does Quick Load take into account that Whelens have fairly long throats?
 
Holy sh** Batman, based on this I may have to look into getting some of those Hammer bullets.

Bob, this a "smoking" load, velocity beats mine by a bunch. There is one caveat however, that is what "pressure" is being developed by this load? QuickLoad doesn't have Power Pro Varment in its data base. It does however have CFE 223. The 66 gr. load as mentioned above pushing a 225 Gr Accubond was ONLY 20,000 PSI above the PMax listed for the Whelen.
@Shootist43
Art that's close to the same speed I get with my 225gn Woodleigh PPSPs. Mine average 2,950fps.
I've got some 220gn Atomic 29s that appear to be similar to the hammer that I'm looking forward to playing with along either the others in the photo.
Bob
 
There's a good amount of info on the Hammer Bullet line on the Long Range Hunting forum, posted load data and field experience worth checking out.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,028
Members
169,888
Latest member
Sonia16980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top