Bullets Choices for 375 H&H Multi-Species Hunt

There's the difference Wildcat. They work way better when driven hard. In my Weatherby's that I have owned 240, 270, 7mm, 300, 340, they have performed as desired.
I don't use them any more because of the copper fouling & I believe I have found a better allround, all game bullet that always opens & never fails. That bullet is the magnificent
North Fork SS. I use 180gr in my 300 Weatherby, 250gr in my 9.3x62, 270gr in my 375 H&H & 375 Ruger & 300gr in my 375 Dakota. I also have 250gr & 350gr North Forks in 375 but I have not yet tried them.

I have a question related to the OP m. What would be wrong with using a hydrostatic monometal solid on the buffalo (woodleigh) and using that same solid on a 140lb leopard? Wouldn't the hydrostatic shock kill the kitty just as effectively as an expanding bullet? Same question for the nyala?

Just wondering if the author (and me in future) really need to bring three bullet types? Wouldn't softs for buffalo first shot and hydrostatic solids for all other chores on buff, ele and spots be pretty effective?

Please educate me if my thinking is flawed. I remember killing a bear with partitions once at 50 yards (center punch). The chest was jelly from hydrostatic wave pulverizing the body, the bullet expansion itself wasn't the primary cause of death at such close range and high velocity. Was thinking a leopard at 35 yards with a 375 would be the same physics?

Leopard are relatively small and lightweight animals and shooting a big solid into one is likely to cause a hole going in and a similar sized hole going out the other side unless big bone is hit. I am not familiar in the uses of these hydrostatic bullets and don't know what to expect from them but conventional wisdom would dictate a soft point for leo. I would think a Nosler Partition about perfect. What kind of bear did you shoot and what caliber and bullet weight?

7mm - 175gr

The point was hydrostatic death, not normal expansion death.

Considering we are backed against the wall with the 11lb ammo rule I hesitate to think how adding yet another product to the mix (like a 3rd .375HH ammo type) will tilt the scales. Was just curious if elephant ammo can suffice for kudu and leopard of using hydrostatic Bullets?

Its not unusual for guys to use their solids on small game so as not to do so much damage to the little critters, but leopard is dangerous game and things are different. Again I have no experience with the hydrostatic bullets so cannot really comment on whats an appropriate usage for them, but I would bet most PH's would like to see a soft on the cats. Back when Capstick was hunting and bullet technology was not what we enjoy today, he said he used to pry the SilverTip nose section off his .375 Winchester ammo and felt that was perfect for leopard. Ancient history I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg