Gordonuk

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BDS
I have been using Barnes TSX .30-06 200 grn for plains game hunting in SA.
However the last batch did not perform, ie they did not expand.
So I am looking at the following
Nosler Accubond or partition.
Your comments and recommendations please

Switch to TTSX and drop the weight to a 150 grain or 180 grain for your 30-06 and you will not be disappointed again.

I use 130 grain TTSX in the .270 and 180 grain in the 300WM.
They penetrate and expand well.
Zebra, Hartbeest with the .270 full expansion and penetration.

Giraffe & Eland, no issues with the .300WM.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Partitions. As Brick mentions, I would drop to the 180gr or 150 gr in the -06.

I'm not a fan of either of your new choices. I had an Accubond completely separate on my first plains game safari two years ago and all of the partitions bullets I have ever recovered had lost their front lead. I have been using Speer Grand Slams and have never been disappointed with their accuracy or their performance. I used them in Africa on everything from wart hog to eland, every animal was one shot and done.

Nosler Partition and Swift A Frame are both great for your needs.
People worry too much about "loosing" the front core. It has to go somewhere and therefore it acts as shrapnel that tears up organs far from the primary bullet path. (Similar to an RWS H Mantel)
Also the rear core and jacket stay together and assure plenty penetration.

I used a -frames and some barnes tsxx both worked great.Used a- frames on my sons lion my giraffe and eland and used tsxx out f the 257 for must of the other plains game.I would use any of them and say just pick the one that works best out of your gun.

I used 160 gr Accubonds in a 7mm Rem mag on one PG hunt in South Africa. On one of the concessions that I hunted, each time the skinners opened up one of the animals that I shot, my PH at that concession would marvel at the large internal wound channel that my bullet had made.

On my last South African hunt, I used 168 gr TTSXs in my .300 Weatherby. They worked perfectly making one shot kills on everything from a Klipspringer at 314 yds to a Sable at 40 yds. I've also used that rifle on two Montana elk hunts, killing one bull with a 168 gr TSX bullet, and the other with a 168 gr TTSX bullet.

Back when I hunted elk with a .30-06, I no trouble killing an elk every year with either 150 to 180 gr cup and core bullets.

I think the OP's problem could have been that the 200 gr TSX bullets from his .30-06 did not have enough velocity to fully expand. Like Brickburn posted, switch to TTSX bullets and go to a lighter weight bullet. My .300 Wby likes both 168 and 180 gr TSX and TTSX bullets, but I chose the 168s because of the slightly flatter trajectory. I have been completely satisfied with the bullet penetration in all of the animals that I have shot with Barnes bullets, and most of the bullets that I recovered were perfect mushrooms with close to 100% weight retention.

I killed 12 animals this past May in Namibia with 160 Nosler Accubonds out of my 7mm Rem Mag. Performed perfectly every time. IMO AB's and Partitions are never bad choices.

Some people haven't the slightest clue about how a partition is designed to perform. The front portion is designed to shed, while the part behind the partition stays intact. That's where the penetration comes from. After all, the partition is the standard by which all other hunting bullets are judged, and has been for the past 6 decades.

Some people haven't the slightest clue about how a partition is designed to perform. The front portion is designed to shed, while the part behind the partition stays intact. That's where the penetration comes from. After all, the partition is the standard by which all other hunting bullets are judged, and has been for the past 6 decades.

While I have a strong affinity for North Fork's offerings, I cannot agree more. The front end is designed to shed. Partitions placed in the boiler room have never let me down. The original premium bullet.

Nosler Partition and Swift A Frame are both great for your needs.
People worry too much about "loosing" the front core. It has to go somewhere and therefore it acts as shrapnel that tears up organs far from the primary bullet path. (Similar to an RWS H Mantel)
Also the rear core and jacket stay together and assure plenty penetration.

+1.

I have been using Barnes TSX .30-06 200 grn for plains game hunting in SA.
However the last batch did not perform, ie they did not expand.
So I am looking at the following
Nosler Accubond or partition.
Your comments and recommendations please

Gordonuk,

The PH I have hunted the most with so far recommends against monometal bullets like the Barnes TSX and TTSX for the exact reason you suffered with them.
For PG in .30-06, he has two Mausers these days for loan or rent to clients and the load he uses is the Hornady 220 gr RNSP at 2400 fps.
I have sacked a fare number of animals with that load as well and heartily endorse same for shooting in wooded conditions.
But for a premium bullet / load that shoots flatter for open places like the Eastern Cape or Namibia, etc., etc., I would recommend the 180 gr Swift A-Frame.

In fairness to Barnes though, others in this forum have recommended using the much lighter versions of Barnes bullets.
And, I suspect that is a good recommendation, if you prefer hollow point monometal bullets, or hollow point bullets that have a plastic stub in the hole, either one.
Such bullets are hard compared to lead core ones, so they must impact at relatively high velocity to deform, due to their hardness (and fluid has to enter the hollow point to force open the nose as well).

Lead core bullets that are heavy for caliber (like the 220 grainers) are suited to .30-06 velocity.
But when driven to super high velocity, such as in the faster magnums, they are known to sometimes shatter against heavy bone and thereby fail to penetrate.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

I use Woodleigh bullets in my 6.5 x 55 SE, particularly the 160 gr PPRN with literally smashing results and DRT one shots. I have also made up loads with the Woodleigh 240 gr PPRN for .30-06 SPR and have just switched to the Woodleigh 165 gr PPRN for the same rifle. I know the 240 will perform on the heavier muscled/ boned plains game, maybe an odd croc, but where would the 165 gr PPRN fit in and would it be better to switch to the 180 gr PPRN for plains game?

Here's my load for the 160 gr PPRN in 6.5 x 55 SE (100 yds off a bench rest):

Target I shot with the same load after traveling prior to hunting pigs in Tennessee a few years ago (100 yds off my walking sticks):

Pig I took with the same load:

Attachments

• mypictures005.jpg
    mypictures005.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 227
  • mypictures001.jpg
    mypictures001.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 223
  • mypictures004.jpg
    mypictures004.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:
Gordonuk,

The PH I have hunted the most with so far recommends against monometal bullets like the Barnes TSX and TTSX for the exact reason you suffered with them.
………..

I have found that these two Barnes designs have totally different performance. The TSX presenting the same issues as the OP's concern in "my' calibers. ( I also can not get them to shoot accurately in my rifles)
They are both certainly "harder" than a copper/lead construction, which I have actually found helpful in the bush shots that have been required.

Hope he can find something that works.

Hello Nicholas Barcomb,

Likewise, I have a 6.5x55 (CZ 550 Manlicher Stock, 20" barrel).
I've been looking at the Woodleigh 160 gr Protected Point as well as the original RNSP "Weldcore" bullets as possible replacements for when my supply of Hornady 160 gr RNSP finally runs out (Hornady has quit making them evidently).

Regarding .30 caliber bullets, I have no experience with them over 220 grains.
Seems like heavier than 220 gr would be pretty good if you wished to shoot large PG with a .30-06 at close range.
However, I have had such good results with the 220 gr in Africa that, I probably will never try anything heavier in .30
(I have also used them in .30-06 to good affect here in Alaska where I live).
For my pesos, in the event I want a heavier bullet, I will use a larger caliber rifle.

The rifle and bullet enthusiast PH that I mention from time to time (Hannes Swanepoel) tells the story of a local client (South African) who shot a bull kudu with a .303 British and 215 gr Woodleigh RNSP.
The bullet went lengthwise through the kudu, three quarters of the animal's total length and was found by the skinners, in perfect mushroom shape.
Moral of the story; When using old fashioned bullets, for best results, shoot them at old fashioned velocities.

Regarding the 165 gr bullet for Africa, the range of size among the many diversified species is such that there is no perfect caliber or bullet for all.
Personally, I have only hunted Africa 4 times.
That makes me a beginner but, I had reached the conclusion here at home, well before I set foot in Africa that for large heavy animals, I like large heavy bullets, also that I can use same for small fast animals as well but, the opposite is not always so.
That conclusion has also worked extremely well for me in Africa.
In other words, light fast bullets for large heavy animals can result in stout bones not broken and less penetration than needed.
This becomes very important if hunting things like eland, zebra, waterbuck, blou wildebees and some others.
If however, you are only hunting not so large species (blesbok, reedbuck, springbok and many others among the "deer size" animals and smaller) in wide open geography, a bonded .30 caliber 165 gr likely will work well, perhaps better than most.

Personally, for the .30-06 and hunting African PG, I would suggest 180 gr bullets in open country and 220 in the way more common thornbush or forest conditions.
And last but not least, I feel any .30 load is a bit light for the quartering toward you shot on eland and some other large antelopes because, the shoulder bone is very stout (probably to resist horns of rival males during their breeding wars).

Again, I had excellent results with a .30-06 and 220 gr bullets but I did not try to shoot an eland or zebra with it.
I did work well on blue wildebeest and black wildebeest alike but I still would prefer a larger caliber and heavier bullet (.35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 or .375 H&H, or a couple others (blah, blah, blah).

I talk too much,
Velo Dog.

Velo,

I'd bet money your 220gr bullet would do well on Zebra and Eland. With regards to the bonded bullets, my son took an Eland at just under 200 yards with his .308 Win and 165gr North Fork bonded cores. Not something I'd recommend doing regularly, but the fact is the first shot broke the bull's shoulder and ultimately that bull would've died without follow up as I'm certain there was an irreparable leak in at least one lung. Prudence and ethics of course demanded follow up and putting the bull down as quickly as possible, but again that bull was dead on the first shot.

Velo,

I'd bet money your 220gr bullet would do well on Zebra and Eland. With regards to the bonded bullets, my son took an Eland at just under 200 yards with his .308 Win and 165gr North Fork bonded cores. Not something I'd recommend doing regularly, but the fact is the first shot broke the bull's shoulder and ultimately that bull would've died without follow up as I'm certain there was an irreparable leak in at least one lung. Prudence and ethics of course demanded follow up and putting the bull down as quickly as possible, but again that bull was dead on the first shot.

Hi Phil,

I totally agree with you on all the points within your attached/quoted post above.
Nonetheless, the following is a primary reason that I rather lean toward rifles over .30 caliber for large PG like eland, zebra and a few others.

We (the Tracker, the PH, and me in tow) found what had once been a huge blue bull eland, still alive but badly emaciated. Evidently this was the result after probably many days of suffering from a pierced lung, which looked as if perhaps another eland had gored him or a rhino gored him, or something like that had left a round, approx. 3 inch wide hole into the ribs/one lung.

No telling how long he had eluded 4 legged predators in that condition but, he had done so long enough to become skinny and weak.

In one of his excellent books, Kevin Robertson tells the story of a man who shot a zebra with a 175 gr 7x57.
He finally recovered the zebra after a mile or more follow up.
His original bullet was actually lodged in one chamber of the zebra's heart!

I am not preaching that nobody else should use a .30 on eland, zebra, etc., I am just saying that I would prefer as my personal minimum a .33 with 250 gr bullet at 2400 fps (.318 Westley Richards and .338-06 both are exactly such).

I always enjoy your wisdom here.
Thank you for it,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

I totally agree with you on all the points within your attached/quoted post above.
Nonetheless, the following is a primary reason that I rather lean toward rifles over .30 caliber for large PG like eland, zebra and a few others.

We (the Tracker, the PH, and me in tow) found what had once been a huge blue bull eland, still alive but badly emaciated. Evidently this was the result after probably many days of suffering from a pierced lung, which looked as if perhaps another eland had gored him or a rhino gored him, or something like that had left a round, approx. 3 inch wide hole into the ribs/one lung.

No telling how long he had eluded 4 legged predators in that condition but, he had done so long enough to become skinny and weak.

In one of his excellent books, Kevin Robertson tells the story of a man who shot a zebra with a 175 gr 7x57.
He finally recovered the zebra after a mile or more follow up.
His original bullet was actually lodged in one chamber of the zebra's heart!

I am not preaching that nobody else should use a .30 on eland, zebra, etc., I am just saying that I would prefer as my personal minimum a .33 with 250 gr bullet at 2400 fps (.318 Westley Richards and .338-06 both are exactly such).

I always enjoy your wisdom here.
Thank you for it,
Velo Dog.

Totally agree Velo. Had I not left my .375 in the truck that morning, my son would have used it on that eland. We took off after a kudu and figured we wouldn't need the big dog. The kudu gave us the slip but 3 eland bulls presented themselves, go figure. I'll be using my .458B&M next year with 260gr projectiles when I go after zebra.

A 200gr Barnes is awfully heavy for a 30-06. 150 or 168 is the right weight for a 30-06 using a Barnes.

On the other hand, if you know they didn't expand, you must have recovered them. I am assuming from dead animals.

Totally agree Velo. Had I not left my .375 in the truck that morning, my son would have used it on that eland. We took off after a kudu and figured we wouldn't need the big dog. The kudu gave us the slip but 3 eland bulls presented themselves, go figure. I'll be using my .458B&M next year with 260gr projectiles when I go after zebra.

Hi again PHOENIX PHIL,

Great minds think alike on .458 bullets for PG evidently, because the last zebra I took was with my (now gone) .450 No2 NE and 480 gr RNSP (Hndy DGX).
He was slightly quartering toward me at 30 to 40 paces, in thick bush.
The bullet broke that shoulder, crossed heart and lungs, with attendant laceration/trauma and was under the hide on the off side, missing some of the front end jacket and lead but nonetheless, decently mushroomed, (according to how I see things anyway).

He staggered but did not fall.
Then he bolted with the herd until soon colliding with a tree and falling as dead as 1962's Christmas Ham.
The animal and bullet are shown in my photo post category.
His hide is a leather fringed rug on the floor, down in "The Safari Bar" (AKA the man cave in my basement).

As a side note on .45 caliber rifles, it is not uncommon here where I live for people to use the following 3 cartridges with 400 gr bullets for local hunting of moose, bear and bison:
.45-70
.458 Winchester
.458 Lott
In furtherance of that notion, Federal offers live .458 Winchester ammunition with 400 gr Swift A-Frame bullet (quite a popular load here with hunters who like to hunt with the .458).

Blah, blah, blah,
Velo Dog.

I would think either the 458 Win or Lott with that 400gr A-Frame would be big medicine on a moose, bear or bison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg