Bullet Performance Database

The 1891 Westley Richards .577 DR in my care was rebarreled in 1921 for the “Lite Nitro” charge of 75 grains Cordite pushing a 650 grain jacketed bullet. I can’t decide if it should pursue jacketed bullets or paper patch first in the field.

The 1891 Westley Richards .577 DR in my care was rebarreled in 1921 for the “Lite Nitro” charge of 75 grains Cordite pushing a 650 grain jacketed bullet. I can’t decide if it should pursue jacketed bullets or paper patch first in the field.
Very nice gun !!
I'd try both and see which bullet holds better. I used to shoot lead only in black powder rifles, hunt with them and loved them. I only kept one of those rifles and I haven't shot it in over 20 years. I did load lead in handguns about ten years ago but I now avoid pure lead as much as possible. Just manipulating the stuff to load it is bad for you. I'm speaking from experience. I would personally shoot jacketed bullets, I'm only speaking for myself, not telling you or anyone what to do.

The case of the bullet proof Eland:
Last week I shot an Eland cow at about 120M broadside, right on the lower shoulder, with a .375H&H and 300 gr. Swift A frame. I "called" the shot when my PH asked, "looked good" and expected that we would walk up and find her dead after a very short death dash. NOPE.
Instead about 150 meters later we found her walking away, surrounded by other cows and a tending bull, head down and going slowly but very much alive.
As the group separated a bit, I put in two quick raking shots from the rear, first a 300 grain Barnes TSX then a Swift Breakaway solid. Glad I could make good shots on the moving animal, we found her another 50 M further on and I put in one more A frame as a finishing shot through the spine into the chest top down.
I was completely puzzled by her reaction to the first shot, and checked the point of impact. Right where I'd aimed. The butcher at camp headquarters said he'd save the bullets he found, but I didn't stay to do any bullet "tracking"
But I discovered something when I looked at the pictures. The first shot entered the eland sideways! There was a very thin screen of brush just in front of the animal when I shot. Didn't think much of it at the time. I know better than to shoot through brush, but this was hardly enough to matter. Wrong.
So the conclusion is - don't shoot through any amount of brush, and if you need to shoot a large wounded animal from behind, both the Barnes TSX and the Swift Break Away gave deep penetration and good wound channels. The A-frame in the picture is from the finishing shot.

IMG_5585.jpeg
IMG_6112.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used 30cal 180gr CEB Maximus on a recent safari. Animals ranged in size from a springbok, impala, vaal rhebok, mountain rhebok, zebra and Eland. No bullets were recovered and all animals died very close to where they were shot. Caliber was 308 Norma Magnum at 2950 fps. The following are autopsy pics so be warned. This is from the Eland

20220607_141429.jpg

IMG-20220608-WA0027.jpg

Much larger than caliber right through broadside.

This was from an Impala

IMG-20220611-WA0002.jpg

The Zebra had lung tissue expressed from its exit wound. However, none of these animals displayed the explosive exit wound possible when using a 30cal Magnum on a smaller antelope.

All in all I am very pleased with the accuracy and terminal effect.

I used 30cal 180gr CEB Maximus on a recent safari. Animals ranged in size from a springbok, impala, vaal rhebok, mountain rhebok, zebra and Eland. No bullets were recovered and all animals died very close to where they were shot. Caliber was 308 Norma Magnum at 2950 fps. The following are autopsy pics so be warned. This is from the Eland

View attachment 472658

View attachment 472656

Much larger than caliber right through broadside.

This was from an Impala

View attachment 472661

The Zebra had lung tissue expressed from its exit wound. However, none of these animals displayed the explosive exit wound possible when using a 30cal Magnum on a smaller antelope.

All in all I am very pleased with the accuracy and terminal effect.
@Pheroze
Imagine what they would have done at full velocity of 3,200fps instead of 06 velocity.
Awesome results all the same.
Bob

@Pheroze
Imagine what they would have done at full velocity of 3,200fps instead of 06 velocity.
Awesome results all the same.
Bob
Lol. I suppose it could go faster but I never try for speed I dont need. This was the most accurate load. My 06 is usually around 2700 with 180grs. Call me Captain Slow!

Lol. I suppose it could go faster but I never try for speed I dont need. This was the most accurate load. My 06 is usually around 2700 with 180grs. Call me Captain Slow!
@Pheroze
Mate can't complain about the results. I used to be in the slow basket as well but thought what the and started loading to potential while maintaining accuracy. Fortunately it has worked so far.
Bob

The case of the bullet proof Eland:
Last week I shot an Eland cow at about 120M broadside, right on the lower shoulder, with a .375H&H and 300 gr. Swift A frame. I "called" the shot when my PH asked, "looked good" and expected that we would walk up and find her dead after a very short death dash. NOPE.
Instead about 150 meters later we found her walking away, surrounded by other cows and a tending bull, head down and going slowly but very much alive.
As the group separated a bit, I put in two quick raking shots from the rear, first a 300 grain Barnes TSX then a Swift Breakaway solid. Glad I could make good shots on the moving animal, we found her another 50 M further on and I put in one more A frame as a finishing shot through the spine into the chest top down.
I was completely puzzled by her reaction to the first shot, and checked the point of impact. Right where I'd aimed. The butcher at camp headquarters said he'd save the bullets he found, but I didn't stay to do any bullet "tracking"
But I discovered something when I looked at the pictures. The first shot entered the eland sideways! There was a very thin screen of brush just in front of the animal when I shot. Didn't think much of it at the time. I know better than to shoot through brush, but this was hardly enough to matter. Wrong.
So the conclusion is - don't shoot through any amount of brush, and if you need to shoot a large wounded animal from behind, both the Barnes TSX and the Swift Break Away gave deep penetration and good wound channels. The A-frame in the picture is from the finishing shot.

View attachment 470529View attachment 470530
I looked at those breakaway solids but they are about $100 a box more than the cutting edge safari solid. I am glad someone tried them because they are an interesting design. Have you had any other experiences with them?

Based on some factory 30-06 Swift 180 gr A-Frame loads that clocked only 2,630 fps, w/ Magnetospeed V3, your 308 Norma is well into magnum territory. This was in a Tikka with 22" barrel, btw.

My '06 reloads (180 gr A-Frames with H4350) run 2,757 fps in the same rifle at about the same temperature (60* F). Chronograph was a LabRadar that checks very close to the MV3.

But you need to make another trip and kindly refrain from shooting everything through the heart! Then we can see how good the CEB bullets really perform. :LOL:

Last edited:
Based on some factory 30-06 Swift 180 gr A-Frame loads that clocked only 2,630 fps, w/ Magnetospeed V3, your 308 Norma is well into magnum territory. This was in a Tikka with 22" barrel, btw.

My '06 reloads (180 gr A-Frames with H4350) run 2,757 fps in the same rifle at about the same temperature (60* F). Chronograph was a LabRadar that checks very close to the MV3.

But you need to make another trip and kindly refrain from shooting everything through the heart! Then we can see how good the CEB bullets really perform. :LOL:

Lol, sorry I will try to be less accurate next time.

On the Eland especially I wanted to know what the bullet did. They recovered the heart for me and took a picture. The fellow said he could fit his finger in the hole easily.

This is the bullet from my Blue Wildebeest. 160 gr Barnes TSX shot from my 7mm RUM at 150 yards.
Shot him through both front shoulders and the bullet was just inside the skin on the off side. Lost two of the petals which I am sure was from going through all that bone.
Of the 13 plains game animals taken on that trip with this rifle, this was the only bullet recovered. I would also add that each of those 13 animals except one dropped where they stood and the Sable went about 15 yards.
Love Barnes bullets!
Barnes%20160%20gr%20TSX%20-%20Blue%20Wildebeest1.jpg

I looked at those breakaway solids but they are about $100 a box more than the cutting edge safari solid. I am glad someone tried them because they are an interesting design. Have you had any other experiences with them?

Pheroze I have only shot the one shot at the eland with the break away solid. I was using the outfitters rented rifle and a mix of ammunition. That one shot drilled a clean hole and penetrated deeply. Sorry I can’t offer a more informed opinion.

Short bullet report:
.470 NE
500 grain Barnes TSX
I can only speak of the exact path of the bullet on the left, as it’s the only one my PH and I removed.
It was a frontal quartering to shot. Entered the chest, off center, and traveled diagonally through the bull and was removed from under the hide of his left rear quarter. 5 1/2 to 6 feet of penetration. Expanded to .934. Retained weight 500 grains, 100%.
I immediately followed up with a broadside shoulder shot. A quick reload and while the bull had stopped on wobbly legs at just over 100 yards away, I hit him with a hard quartering away shot and down he went.
I put a couple more in him from the back while he was down and that’s why I can’t comment on any bullet but the first.
As a side note and for the record, all recovered bullets weighed 500 grains.

529124C9-B9C3-4715-B071-0F282EC5C279.jpeg
C54DFFB7-E3FD-41B2-A0C8-992CAF515236.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
450 Rigby
550 grain RNSN Woodleigh Weldcores
Muzzle velocity 2240fps
Asiatic water buffalo bulls
From left to right
Bullet 1- Finishing shot at a couple of metres through the shoulder on the first bull of the trip, found under the skin on the opposite shoulder, retained weight 456.3 grains 83%.
Bullet 2- Base of the neck shot at 70 metres, estimated impact velocity 2028fps, found under the skin on the opposite side, retained weight 547.7 grains 99.5%.
Bullet 3- Another finishing shot at a couple of metres through the shoulder, when we walked up to him even though he was shot through the neck he was trying to get him so I put 2 quick ones in his shoulder, retained weight 468 grains 85%.
Bullet 4- First shot on my second bull for the trip, shot behind the shoulder broadside at 30 metres, found under the skin on the opposite side, estimated impact velocity 2146fps, retained weight 524.8 grains 95.4%. He took off at full gallop after the first shot but stopped after only around 50 metres with blood pouring out the nose, when he fell over I put a finisher in the spine.

First shot on the first bull was a very sharp quartering away shot at 70 metres, the bullet was still in the animal somewhere but we didn't spend the time trying to find it, after the first shot he started running directly away and I put one in his hip, again didn't spend the time recovering this bullet, then he turned and I put the bullet mentioned above in his neck and then walked over and put in the 2 quick finishing shots.

Perfect performance from the Woodleighs as usual and pairing this load with my SSB Rigby Big Game rifle it makes just about the perfect setup for these massive bulls.

Both bulls scored exactly 100 points each and both were very big bodied bulls, I will post some photos of them soon.

1660367197409.jpeg

1660367241461.jpeg

300WM 1-10 twist 26 in.
Factory Barnes 180 gr. 2900mv

impacted the shoulder twice. First one went straight through. Second shot was stuck in opposite side under skin. Both shots a little over 350 yards straight up a cliff.
2BC6DF0B-C123-44EF-8C44-C26870B1244B.jpeg
9BCC621F-6CE2-4AFA-BAF8-B24E26458062.jpeg

Swift A-Frame, .375" / 270 grs

Caliber: 9,5x66SE vom Hofe (approx. 10% more power than a .375 H&H)

Retrieved from a 850 kg Eland bull
Weight retention 267,4 grs...

Performance as described in the catalogue. My favorite bullet for Africa!

tempImageJCaiTm.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!