Bullet Performance Database

Dunno how I ended up with hem, but I have 70 Norma 550 grain solid factory rounds, just sitting here; surplus. Need a "pick-up" buyer; Townsville, Australia. Anyone still hunt Dinosaurs?
I believe Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen still hunts them in his daydreams. But, I don’t think he owns anything that those bullets would fit in?

Dunno how I ended up with hem, but I have 70 Norma 550 grain solid factory rounds, just sitting here; surplus. Need a "pick-up" buyer; Townsville, Australia. Anyone still hunt Dinosaurs?
My bro lives in Townsville I could probably get him to pick them up for me. I don't really have a use for solids anytime soon but if you are letting them go cheap I might consider it, how much you want for them? Send me a message.

My bro lives in Townsville I could probably get him to pick them up for me. I don't really have a use for solids anytime soon but if you are letting them go cheap I might consider it, how much you want for them? Send me a message.
Be in touch overnight, how is '02 treating you? Tow beers overnight was my limit :))

This is a .375 Ruger, 270 grain Barnes TSX fired at a Gemsbock facing 3 O'Clock
Oryx 2.jpg
at about 70 yards. I recovered it from the left side under the skin. Weight retention was 269.4 grains for 99.78%. He ran about 100 yards before piling up. Buffalo Bore ammo at about 2700 FPS.
Oryx 1 - 269.4gr.jpg
Oryx 3.jpg
Oryx 4.jpg

Zebra finishing shot from 2 yards - up under breastbone, through pleural cavity and left rib cage - found under left shoulder skin. 209.6 grains retained weight. Prior two rounds passed through at 100 yards and were not recovered. .375 Ruger Buffalo Bore ammo at 2700 FPS - 270 grain TSX.
Zebra 2.jpg
Zebra 1 - 209.6Grains.jpg
Zebra 3.jpg

This is the first of 3 recovered projos from my giraffe bull. He was shot at 100 yards, facing 9 O'Clock. .375 Ruger firing Barnes 270 grain TSX at 2611 FPS (QuickLoad data - I don't have a working chrono).

Bullet was recovered about 1" past the heart on the right side of the chest cavity. The petal was recovered about 1" just inside the heart on the right side. Retained weight of the main slug was 248.3 grains. The petal weighs 21.5 grains, accounting for 269.8 grains between the two pieces.

Animal lunged at the shot and ran about 50 yards before somersaulting and staying down on the ground. I put a 2nd round into his shoulder before he fell, and a 3rd finishing shot from 1-2 yards. Pics of these to follow.
Giraffe 1-3.jpg
Giraffe 1-2 - 269.8 w:petal.jpg
Giraffe 1-1 - 248.3gr.jpg

These photos are of the 2nd round I hit my giraffe bull with. 100 yards, .375 Ruger firing Barnes TSX 270 grain at 2611 FPS muzzle velocity. The bull had taken a round through the heart and started to run. I put this second round into his left shoulder. In spite of the perfect mushroom of the bullet, IT FAILED!

The bullet never made it past the shoulder - not even into the bone structure - let alone, into the pleural cavity. THICK AND TOUGH SKIN, combined with the adrenaline dump, and suddenly my .375 Ruger is not adequate to punch through the animal. 269.4 grains retained weight.
Giraffe 2-4.jpg
Giraffe 2-3.jpg
Giraffe 2-2.jpg
Giraffe 2-1 - 269.4gr.jpg

This projo was fired from 1-2 yards, under the breast bone - recovered in the left shoulder - it did not make it to the skin. 269.5 grains retained weight. Interesting that this one, at 2611 FPS, still kept all petals whereas the one I fired into the zebra stallion to finish him lost 2 petals - only 100 FPS difference, and perhaps a different bone collision?
Giraffe 3-4.jpg
Giraffe 3-3.jpg
Giraffe 3-1 - 269.5gr.jpg

Attachments

• Giraffe 3-2.jpg
    Giraffe 3-2.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 95

USMA84DAB I am told Giraffe have the densest bones of all animals, tougher than those of an Elephant. Not to mention the very thick and tough hide that covers the vital organs. No wonder those projectiles did not pernitrate as far as you thought they would.

I am pretty surprised that my .375 Ruger was just not really adequate - it got the job done - just barely! I thought I was OK on any critter (PG) and had at least a hope of protecting myself if a buff was mad at lions or poachers and charged me - YIKES!

I am pretty surprised that my .375 Ruger was just not really adequate - it got the job done - just barely! I thought I was OK on any critter (PG) and had at least a hope of protecting myself if a buff was mad at lions or poachers and charged me - YIKES!

people take them with 308's just pick their shots. I used a 358/338 RUM on mine. 30 meters, heart shot. 225grain Monometal bullet. Muz velocity 3150fps from the 8 o'clock position angling up. This was pulled up on the offside shoulder blade. Ran about 50mts, walked 30 staggered 20 and fell over stone dead. Tough animals. I think your 375 will handle the other critters you mention except maybe not enough fire power to compete with the poachers :LOL:

@USMA84DAB - was a neck shot on the Giraffe ever considered as a first shot? Not trying to armchair quarterback your hunt, just a question.

Shot placement of your first bullet had it covered. If the second shot of the TSX failed, it's likely that only a solid would have made it through to the chest cavity and even then it wouldn't do the damage you really want. Well, except placing another hole in it to bleed out of. You brought enough gun.

24 pages of good reports and very interesting data, but nothing at all on RWS bullets? I'd be particularly interested in reports of the effectiveness of EVO bonded core bullets. I just ordered a case of RWS ammo for my new Krieghoff Hubertus Kipplauf in .30R Blaser, so I'm committed anyway, but would like some reassurance!
I also bought them for my 8x68S. How have you found their performance?

I also bought them for my 8x68S. How have you found their performance?

I’ve used EVO and HIT in 8x57JRS on Roe deer and European Boar. No bullets recovered, no repeat shots, no animals lost, no complaints.

I’ve used EVO and HIT in 8x57JRS on Roe deer and European Boar. No bullets recovered, no repeat shots, no animals lost, no complaints.
@Opposite Pole
How goes it mate.
We are now experiencing the same primer and projectile problems we spoke about.
Hope you are keeping well.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you