Bullet Performance Database

One of the reasons l like the .338 caliber, is for years the only cartridges available here were the .338 win mag and the .340 for the most part. So most of the bullets seem to be designed to work best at those velocities.
Now take a .30 caliber and the same bullet can be loaded in 300 savage, and a 300 magnum resulting in completely different performance

This 325 grain 45-70 factory loaded "LeveRevolution" bullet killed a Hartmann's Zebra at 130 yards..muzzle velocity 1970 fps......FWB
IMG_5124.jpg

This 405 grain .459 diam bullet killed a bull oryx in 2006 at 85 yards. Shot at sunset. Hole straight thru the heart. Retained weight 405 grains. Incidentally, I plan to use this same bullet to shoot an oryx in 2020.......muzzle velocity was 1234 fps driven by 63 grains GOEX 2F...............FWB
IMG_5128.jpg

Catahoula,

I wonder if the Nosler Partition 8MM bullet, in 200 grain was possibly designed specifically for the 8x57 Mauser cartridge.
In other words, designed for reliable expansion when impact velocities stay between about 1800 fps to 2300 fps ?

Grumpy old man rant over,
Velo Dog.
Nosler brought out the 200gr 8mm Partition right after the 8mm mag came out. This bullet, along with a 220 Sierra and Hornady all came out in response to the 8 mag’s introduction. I think Nosler chose the 200 gr to split the difference between Remington’s 185 gr and 220 gr factory loads.

Just spent the last hour and a half reviewing the past 14 pages. Lots of interesting stuff and data. I've been spending some time using a new bullet developing loads for my 270WSM and my 338 Federal. The name of the bullet is Hammer. The company is located in Montana. It's a solid copper bullet.

I'm using their 185 grain bullet for the 270 WSM and a 225 grain bullet for the 338 Federal. At present things look very positive; ladder tests were a breeze, both bullets are touching the lands and I'm getting sub MOA for both rifles. I'm scheduled for Africa in October for ten days, ten animals.

If anyone has any experience with these bullets I'd like their input. The 338 Federal is for Eland and the 270 WSM is for everything else. Comments appreciated.

MD pics of the bullets would be handy for any form of valid comment in relation to a hunting bullet. Have you or anybody you know tried these on game?

I have used solid copper projectiles similar to Barnes and they performed above their weight in my 270Win and various 35 cals I have.

MD, I’ll be interested to see your results using the Hammer bullets. I couldn’t find any wound pictures nor mushroomed bullet pictures on their website. Nice looking bullet design though.

My last hunt in 2015 was $9500 for one trophy bull and all accomodations. Then the additional management bulls were $1000 each and cows were $400 each. We saw hundreds of buffalo during my 5 day hunt. And hundreds of hogs as well. I ended up shooting 3 bulls and 1 cow.
I would love to return to hunt more buffalo, but not sure I'd want to spend that much again. Maybe I'm being unrealistic?

MD...........what twist rate do you have to have to stabilize a 185 grain copper 270 bullet? Impressive SD of .344........FWB

I apoligize, my mistake. THe bullets for my 270 WSM are 145 grain, not 185. I must have had one of those brain farts.

Not a problem.............happens to us all...............FWB

Federal Factory 35 Whelen 225g Trophy Bonded Bear Claw recovered from an eland bull, guessing these were the shots from about 70 yards broadside. I can't seem to find them, but I know I put them somewhere when I left SA. If I do find them, I'll weigh them.
Fed 35 Whelen 225g TBBC Eland Bull.jpg

Asking for a my dad , does anyone know where l can get .30-06 round nose fmj solids or monolithic solids ? I would prefer factory loaded ammunition , if possible..

Asking for a my dad , does anyone know where l can get .30-06 round nose fmj solids or monolithic solids ? I would prefer factory loaded ammunition , if possible..
THe only monolithic bullet I can think of are the new hammers. Not factory loaded but accurate as all hell.

Peregrine makes solid round nose bullets, but no loaded ammo. You will probably need to go to Hendershots or maybe check with DoubleTap for loaded ammo.
Best of luck finding these and if you do, please let us know!

Peregrine makes solid round nose bullets, but no loaded ammo. You will probably need to go to Hendershots or maybe check with DoubleTap for loaded ammo.
Best of luck finding these and if you do, please let us know!
Thanks Ridgewalker ! My dad used to use army surplus fmj ammo with the tapering point . But these tapered point solids do deviate slightly from a straight course if they hit hard bones of big game .

Thanks Ridgewalker ! My dad used to use army surplus fmj ammo with the tapering point . But these tapered point solids do deviate slightly from a straight course if they hit hard bones of big game .
Midway has numerous brands of 30-06 FMJ ammo. If you reload, you might try pulling some and reseating them backwards. I read that in one of the gun rags, but never tried it.
Having a custom reloader do it is the best option if you don’t reload yourself.
Just my thoughts on it. Good luck!

I've got an entire can of military surplus FMJ 30-06, if that's what your looking for.

Finally found those two Factory Federal 35 Whelen 225g TBBC that were recovered from my eland. Very high weight retention as expected. I'd definitely use these again on anything. Thinking I may check out the 200 grainers for my 300WM.
35 Whelen 225 TBBC #1.jpg
35 Whelen 225 TBBC #2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois