Bullet is stuck in the barrel

This happened to me once in Africa. The primer fired but did not ignite the powder but pushed the bullet into the barrel. No one in camp had even an aluminum cleaning rod, let alone a brass rod, but I did find a steel welding rod in the camp vehicle garage.

I always have a roll of black electrician tape in my hunting pack, so I made several wraps of tape on one end of the rod and again every few inches up the rod to protect the barrel from the steel rod.

A few taps on the end of the rod and the stuck bullet came out . The wraps of tape completely protected the barrel.

I put the unburned powder that was still in the case on a piece of paper and lit it and it flared up like any other powder. When I got home I fired all of the other cartridges in that box and they all fired flawlessly.

Brickburn, this happened on a South African hunt with my .300 Weatherby prior to our Mozambique hunt where you used that same rifle to shoot your Sable.

This happened to me once in Africa. The primer fired but did not ignite the powder but pushed the bullet into the barrel. No one in camp had even an aluminum cleaning rod, let alone a brass rod, but I did find a steel welding rod in the camp vehicle garage.

I always have a roll of black electrician tape in my hunting pack, so I made several wraps of tape on one end of the rod and again every few inches up the rod to protect the barrel from the steel rod.

A few taps on the end of the rod and the stuck bullet came out . The wraps of tape completely protected the barrel.

I put the unburned powder that was still in the case on a piece of paper and lit it and it flared up like any other powder. When I got home I fired all of the other cartridges in that box and they all fired flawlessly.

Brickburn, this happened on a South African hunt with my .300 Weatherby prior to our Mozambique hunt where you used that same rifle to shoot your Sable.
The bullet was not 5"s in the barrel. Maybe 1/2"

Brass rod, add penetrating fluid to barrel, push the bullet back towards the chamber.

29716150_8731.jpg

"Brass rod, add penetrating fluid to barrel, push the bullet back towards the chamber." - Yes, about this method worked.
With some differences: we have one expert there, he recommends not a brass rod, but a threaded stud M8 (it is made of shit steel, and will not damage the chrome surface), cut a piece to the size plus an inch, scrape a file in size 0.30 to enter the barrel, screw the nut and hit with a hammer. The main thing there is to move it to an oiled surface. Why a stud and not a rod? Because it's 1$, not 3$.

Thanks for advices!

... The primer fired but did not ignite the powder but pushed the bullet into the barrel. ...

Yes, this is a difficult case. It is impossible to recognize such a cartridge in advance. I became a topicstarter on our forum because of a similar situation - the primer worked and drove the bullet into the rifling. The gunpowder didn't light up - because it wasn't in the cartridge! I then weighed the cartridges from this box, and half of them turned out to be without powder. I have never seen such a thing in my practice and have not even heard of it, although I follow the use of this caliber - 9.3x64. It didn't happen in Africa (I don't know, fortunately or unfortunately), and after several chaotic attempts to knock out a bullet with a ramrod and a wooden bar, I called the manufacturer of the gun, and they advised me to bring the weapon to them, in order to avoid serious consequences. There the master filled the barrel with kerosene and then knocked out the bullet with a rod. The main problem here is that the rifle needs to be fixed somehow rigidly. It is very difficult for us to replace the barrel, because it is necessary to issue a repair permit to the police, and the repairman must have a certification.

Well now that it's out we can all relax a little bit.

I have to ask, why the heck would you bother to heat the barrel and pound out the bullet if you're going to throw away the barrel anyway? Nope. If I'm getting rid of the barrel I am not wasting my time pounding a stuck bullet out.
How slow must you push a bullet to get it stuck in the barrel?
I dunno. A small magnum pistol primer is enough to send a 125 grain 9mm out of a .38 snubnose and still bounce off a cardboard target at fifteen feet. 300 BLK subsonic squibs hit about a foot lower at 50 yards with a partially spilled powder charge, but that's a 10" barrel. I'm thinking there was little or no powder involved.

I had a bad load in a Thompson Center Contender in .357 Herrett send a bullet about 5 inches into a 14" barrel one time.

I don't know if I had a real light load or missed putting the powder in. This was on a fire forming load.

You think you have problems
Barrel.jpg

CX Storm 9X19 Barrel now banned in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg