Bullet is stuck in the barrel

Vashper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
All-army military hunting society, Russian Union of hunters and fishermen.
Hunted
Only Russia
the bullet is stuck in the barrel, what should do? FMJ, 308. Closer to the point, about one-fifth of the length of the barrel.

Find a brass rod that you can use to drift it out, or head to the gunsmith

Not mine, but yes. Threaded. the guy was playing with subsonic cartridges. He has already bent the 6-mm ramrod and riveted the bullet.
It's my thread on our gun's forum

Not mine, but yes. Threaded. the guy was playing with subsonic cartridges. He has already bent the 6-mm ramrod and riveted the bullet.
It's my thread on our gun's forum
You can buy the adapters that can go for muzzle to a zerk fitting. Get a high pressure grease gun and push it out possible that way. If an AR upper then you will have to block of the gas port. I would almost say replace the barrel. Chance are on the slim side barrel makes it out without damage if you use a rod. It takes a lot of pressure to push it out. I would also not try the 1/2 charge trick. A buddy of mine did that...his Surgeon action needed a lot of work to be fixed after that.

1. Have your buddy be very thankful he did not send another one after it.
2. Stop using crappy ammo.
3. If the rifle is worth anything, I’d suggest he pay the stupid tax and take it to a gunsmith for repair.

1. Have your buddy be very thankful he did not send another one after it.
2. Stop using crappy ammo.
3. If the rifle is worth anything, I’d suggest he pay the stupid tax and take it to a gunsmith for repair.
"pay the stupid tax"? You have to pay a tax there to get your rifle repaired?

"Stupid tax" as in shooting a subsonic round and getting it stuck.

No, that’s what I call any money you are out of Pocket to fix anything I need to get fixed after doing something stupid to cause said costs. LOL

No, that’s what I call any money you are out of Pocket to fix anything I need to get fixed after doing something stupid to cause said costs. LOL
Oh OK. I'm a little slow at times. LOL

"Stupid tax" as in shooting a subsonic round and getting it stuck.
Ok, I get it now. A number of years ago, my buddy handloaded some snake shot for his .357. He bought some of the plastic caps and wads for over the powder. First shot and the plastic cap got stuck in the barrel. The shot dribbled out the back of the barrel. A cleaning rod pounded with a hammer didn't work. He had to take it to a gunsmith to have it removed.

Cleaning rods are too soft and most wood dowels will fracture as you are beating on it to dislodge the bullet.

That is where you need to use a brass rod. It is soft enough to not damage the bore of the rifle but strong enough to get the job done.

High heat torch, where the bullet is lodged to the end, heat till glowing red hot, mallet and brass rod, pound it out. Throw the barrel out and buy a new one, if the lodged bullet didn't damage the barrel, heating it to glowing hot certainly will

You can try and heat the barrel to around 100 to 150 deg centigrade. Barrel will expand without damage and then you can try bang the bullet out with brass rod or mallet. The bullet should expand much slower and so should loosen up.

try to get the brass rod to be a close to bore diameter as possible. The smaller the rod, the more likely you are to wedge it into the bullet, making it even tighter. If you drive it from the front, you run the risk of wedging between the point of the bullet and the barrel wall and/or expanding the bullet if it is an expanding type if you have too small a surface area

Brownells carries a "squib rod" which is a section of brass rod in various bore diameters. It is designed to go on a cleaning rod. I'd make sure to use the shortest and thickest solid steel rod that will work if going that route.

Trying to drive it out may make it worse by causing it to mushroom in the barrel. If the bullet has an exposed lead base use a muzzleloading ball puller. Screw it into the base and then tap it out back towards the chamber. No damage will be caused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvividconsultant

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross