Buffalo or Sable???

I have hunted both. If your budget is limited to one of the two on a hunt a will suggest a sable first. They are beauty and perfection rolled into one. After your first I doubt you will shoot another unless it’s a 45inch plus monster. On the other side is buff. If you do mister Black Death on your first trip you will be putting of sable hunting for ever. You will be always coming back for more buff, for it is the most addictive hunt any hunter can experience!
 
…………Buffalo or Sable?????

I realize this is an old thread but someone may be just now reading it and want the same info. So SEVERAL days late and more than a dollar short here goes!

First off I have never been on safari that did not include Cape buffalo, nor do I expect to ever be on one that doesn’t. To me, the plains game is simply an add-on to fill in time between buffalo. If I could get them and could afford it, I would stack two 10 day buffalo safaris one on top of the other so I could take two buffalo on each of them, and maybe take a PAC elephant or a Hippo on land if I could find one and forget the plains game all together.

That being said, that is my choice, and in no way says that an exclusive plains game safari is not a good hunt, it is just that it not my thing. In any event if I were going to take sable and/or cape buffalo, I wouldn’t take either in RSA. They might be easier to take both but the cape buffalo is too expensive in South Africa, and the sable is an easier hunt in the game farms of RSA. My first choice for both animals would be Zambia, but if the PAC elephant is to be included then Zimbabwe is the place.

What ever you decide, it is your safari and it is your choice! Make it, and enjoy it as much as you can, but where ever, I would take both if possible, because the airfare is already paid, and that alone makes the pair a cheaper safari.
 
Go for the Sable...

We were visiting the other day about what to take from the following...Roan - Sable - Kudu - Eland...And Sable was my pick also...

Always take enough gun...
 
Book a combination Buffalo Sable plainsgame safaris. Make sure you are hunting an area that is known for good sable. Once you are on your hunt if you see a great sable you can choose between taking it, waiting for a good buff or if the budget allows, take sable and keep looking for buff. By doing it this way you are spending a little more for a daily rate but you have left all options open.
 
I can take you to a place where you can afford both in the same trip..true Africa...congrats on getting an early start into Africa..I got hooked at 33... Jeff
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,185
Members
169,923
Latest member
Krystle556
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top