Buffalo in SA?

Just Passing Through

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patron Member, SCI, IWLA
I am trying to arrange time for a cape buffalo hunt in an area that is not a malaria zone. Some outfits in SA offer buffalo, and I am assuming that they are in relatively malaria free zones. My wife travels with me and her enjoyment is very important to my well being.

How will these hunts differ from a hunt in Zimbabwe? Are there any hunts in Namibia that would fit?

I am not too concerned about reasonable cost differences, and I have no interest in trophy quality. It is probable that I would just take only photos as my trophy. It does not much matter if is a big bull, cull, or cow (or some combination) - I want a buffalo hunt not just a buffalo shoot.

I am trying to arrange time for a cape buffalo hunt in an area that is not a malaria zone. Some outfits in SA offer buffalo, and I am assuming that they are in relatively malaria free zones. My wife travels with me and her enjoyment is very important to my well being.

There are Buffalo available in Malaria areas and non Malaria areas in SA.
Find your outfitter and then compare to a WHO map for Malaria and you'll have your answer.

How will these hunts differ from a hunt in Zimbabwe?
RSA will have a fence. Make sure your hunt is on a larger property.
Some places in Zimbabwe will not, some will.

Are there any hunts in Namibia that would fit?
Not likely in non Malaria areas. Caprivi has Buffalo.

There are unfenced Buffalo in South Africa , but only in a malaria area. In 20 years of hunting this area I've never had a hunter contract malaria. There are high risk malaria areas and low risk malaria areas. My children grow up in a Malaria area without prophylactics.

Did you arrow him from a blind?

Do the buffalo act differently on a 7,200ha property than they do in an unfenced area? Would you do it again?

I think Brickburn would do it again in a millisecond if he had the time and money, walk and stalk for Huge Cape buffalo. It's gotta be exciting!

Did you arrow him from a blind?

Do the buffalo act differently on a 7,200ha property than they do in an unfenced area? Would you do it again?

Walk and Stalk. Spot and Stalk. No blinds.

We stalked up multiple times and on multiple herds and they do not like people close to them.
On one stalk we were closing on them near a watering point in thick cover. If you want your heart to race, try that.
When they bolted from the cover and I could not see which way they were going I made the first step to head up a tree and stopped myself. That took everything I had.

I think they do behave differently. However, there is plenty that is just the same.

There is no shooting from vehicles in KZN (200 Meters) so bad association with vehicles is minimal.
Get off the truck and start walking, it all changes.

I have watched lots of video of herds in Tanzania and Mozambique and if you stay out of sight and down wind they act just like cows.

How they are similar:
There have been several cows that have charged without provocation at Leeukop.
I had one cow start a bluff charge. She stopped thankfully.

Not my hunt.

Leeukop Safaris Buffalo Charge - YouTube

Would I do it again. Yup.

We tried to do it again this year, but there were no bulls available to hunt when I was there. (One of those differences)

The only bulls I saw on my last trip bolted into the thick stuff at the sight of the vehicle.

Walk and Stalk with a Bow is totally different than a rifle. Getting in to twenty yards to shoot was something else.

Bow hunting at Leeukop is always the same old, same old. Nothing different ever happens.

These Elephants helped push the Reedbuck and then proceeded to interrupt the hunt with their curiosity. They did not understand why the Reedbuck stood its ground. (He had already taken an arrow)

[URL=http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/BRICKBURN/media/Reedbuck/IMG_3136_zpsa5281176.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/BRICKBURN/media/Reedbuck/IMG_3163_zps29b8a8e7.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/BRICKBURN/media/Reedbuck/IMG_3178_zps22916e4c.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/BRICKBURN/media/Reedbuck/IMG_3247_zps3756a49a.jpg.html][/URL]

Thanks for the response. This sounds interesting, something to look into further.

A couple of good, large properties out there offering the full African experience, large tracts of land with all the big game we love so much, enjoy the planing it's part of the fun.

My best always.

Where:
KZN near Pongola.

With Whom:
Leeukop Safaris ï½» Home

There are lots of very good operators with hunting opportunities on Buffalo.

Some good advice there: I hunted these (Pongola GR) areas on & off for more than 20 years & you won't be disappointed should you decide to hunt there. If you do, I'd recommend you also take nyala because I doubt there's a finer area anywhere in the country for them.

There are also a fair number of other good venues in the country, especially those close to the KNP.

Are they the same as Tanzania or Zim etc? - In all fairness, no they're not but Tanzania is equally different to Zim & both are equally different to Uganda so you pays your money & you takes your choice but if you're taking you're lady & she needs to be entertained then this area would also fit the bill very well indeed.

I have not hunted many buffalo in South Africa, but one thing I do find, is that seem to be more aggressive than the natural herds in Moz, Zim etc.. PongolaGR and Mkuze, will definitely give you a great experience, as the areas around KNP.

Good day sir,
We will be able to help you with a Cape Buffalo hunt right next to the Kruger National Park in the Klaserie area. Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you need any further information.
All the best with your planning,

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Just an example of whats possible:
My buff hunted in SA with KMG a few weeks ago.
Thanks again Marius!

View attachment 23952

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg