Buffalo Hunt in the Northern Territory Australia ended very badly

Sorry to hear that, and hope the hunter fully recovers.

Next time, please have a good backup, just in case.

Several posts on AH suggest that water buffalo can be hunted without danger. Or without much danger. Probably true, but the most determined charge I ever endured came courtesy of a water buffalo in NT nearly 40 years ago. Hopefully, this young man will be fine. BTW, Timbo Pretty great buff with a pretty youngster...thanks for foto..............FWB

Several posts on AH suggest that water buffalo can be hunted without danger. Or without much danger. Probably true, but the most determined charge I ever endured came courtesy of a water buffalo in NT nearly 40 years ago. Hopefully, this young man will be fine. BTW, Timbo Pretty great buff with a pretty youngster...thanks for foto..............FWB
Thanks! I'm proud to say Emily's buffalo scored better than mine. She rolled it using my .30/06 with Woodleigh 180gr PPSNs - and I had my 458WM ready to back her up (not needed). (y)

Lucky bloke and I agree with PaulT about infection. It was reported that they fired arrows into the scrub???? or should that be into the animal????? Were they aimed shots at vital areas or just sticking them into anywhere on the buff?

The following thoughts are gathered from reading accounts from those that have hunted Cape and H2O Buff. The Cape bloke seems to be more aggressive and will charge easier than a water buff. When a Cape buff does charge they are more likely to keep attacking until the enemy is well out of it. probably because of the predators it has to deal with. The water buff is easier going until they reach the "I am pissed off" point. Then it is all bets are off. They are the bigger of the two and will take as much or more to stop them. Both will hide and wait if injured or annoyed too much. Cape buff horns appear to be shaped to better deal with antagonists that are low on the ground. Just my take on things.

You're right in that opinion Rule 303, the cape buff is almost a naturally cantankerous species, largely due to the fact that they are hunted 24/7 by lions (and intermittently by us). Water buffalso however have no predators (except, again, us) perpetually hunting them.

Last night, before I read this article, I was speaking to a PH friend of mine and she recounted witnessing a cape buff absorb 17 rounds without any effect: the 18th however - from her 416 Rigby - was the one that killed it.
But, yes, ANY animal (even a willy-wagtail!!) that is pissed off will fight back.

You're right in that opinion Rule 303, the cape buff is almost a naturally cantankerous species, largely due to the fact that they are hunted 24/7 by lions (and intermittently by us). Water buffalso however have no predators (except, again, us) perpetually hunting them.

Last night, before I read this article, I was speaking to a PH friend of mine and she recounted witnessing a cape buff absorb 17 rounds without any effect: the 18th however - from her 416 Rigby - was the one that killed it.
But, yes, ANY animal (even a willy-wagtail!!) that is pissed off will fight back.

OI, don't under estimate the Willy- Wagtail. :)I have seen a pair of them flying along the spine of a Wedge tail Eagle pecking at it as they flew up the spin. Gutsy little birds.

OI, don't under estimate the Willy- Wagtail. :)I have seen a pair of them flying along the spine of a Wedge tail Eagle pecking at it as they flew up the spin. Gutsy little birds.

Yeah right

I was once dive-bombed by the little buggers! And unlike a maggie that takes a peck and keeps on going, willie-wagtails just climb up out of reach, and come back down at you again and again - until you're out of their territory!! :eek:

Last edited:
Crossbow hitting like a rifle????
A really good crossbow = 80 to 100 ft lbs
Most DG doubles = 5,000 ft lbs
Use the right tool for the job!

I put one arrow in a cape buffalo bull and he only ran about fifty yards and went down.

I put one arrow in a cape buffalo bull and he only ran about fifty yards and went down.
Just curious, was it a lung shot?

I would bet an absolutely perfect shot, top of heart and both lungs. Lungs only would usually take a bit longer to drop.

And the PH was carrying a crossbow for back up? Don't miss the point.

I would bet an absolutely perfect shot, top of heart and both lungs. Lungs only would usually take a bit longer to drop.
Through the center of the heart.

And the PH was carrying a crossbow for back up? Don't miss the point.
The point is the shot needs to be in the right spot no matter what weapon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois