Brumby Hunting

You must hang around a different set of Germans! ;) So we are horse people - or more precisely my daughter is - I write checks. :( You need to check out the kill pens online. Truly derelict animals end up in Mexico and Canada. Those with value are sold (usually for too much to bleeding hearts who think they are saving them from Canada or Mexico - subject for another day). I can't speak for Australia, but I don't know anywhere in this country where horses are simply turned out.

@Red Leg in all your journeys you were never offered Horse Wurst or other sausages? The Germans even regulate special butcher and meat shops for the sale of horse. I think horse is also popular in Iceland...they were slow to convert to Christianity because the Pope said if they convert they had to stop eating horse!

@Red Leg in all your journeys you were never offered Horse Wurst or other sausages? The Germans even regulate special butcher and meat shops for the sale of horse. I think horse is also popular in Iceland...they were slow to convert to Christianity because the Pope said if they convert they had to stop eating horse!
I lived in Germany for five years, been there many times since, and have yet to be offered, seen, or heard of anyone I knew eating horse. I have eaten darn near every part of a pig at one time or another - but never horse. I will note that sauerbraten can be made out of most anything and horse was used occasionally. But it is a pretty rare fare in Deutschland. France absolutely - virtually every supermarket has it in the beef section.

I Saw a lot of them in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Guymon, Texhoma, Boise City, Then down to Amarillo, and to Lubbock. Only other place I’ve seen this is in Wyoming around Medicine Bow. Sad.

I would be stunned to see someone releasing horses in Texas. Our trespass laws will catch anyone's attention. There is an ongoing effort to preserve true "mustangs" in West Texas - but these are carefully monitored, now actually registered breeds on specific ranches. No one will release an old quarter horse among them more than once.

I actually lived in Oklahoma off and on for a bit over the years. There are several "wild" horse herds, but those animals are fenced on large ranches (actually not nearly large enough). I don't know of any open range (like Texas it is not an open range state) where animals could simply be turned out.

I lived in Germany for five years, been there many times since, and have yet to be offered, seen, or heard of anyone I knew eating horse. I have eaten darn near every part of a pig at one time or another - but never horse. I will note that sauerbraten can be made out of most anything and horse was used occasionally. But it is a pretty rare fare in Deutschland. France absolutely - virtually every supermarket has it in the beef section.

I would be stunned to see someone releasing horses in Texas. Our trespass laws will catch anyone's attention. There is an ongoing effort to preserve true "mustangs" in West Texas - but these are carefully monitored, now actually registered breeds on specific ranches. No one will release an old quarter horse among them more than once.

I actually lived in Oklahoma off and on for a bit over the years. There are several "wild" horse herds, but those animals are fenced on large ranches (actually not nearly large enough). I don't know of any open range where animals could simply be turned out.

I might need to define “turning them out”. These are not mustangs, nor wild herds, these are neglected horses that aren’t handled or cared for languishing in back-40s, although since that area has little food, the back 40s are back-400s. Sad, low quality horses passed their prime and utterly neglected. This was in the early 2000s.

I might need to define “turning them out”. These are not mustangs, nor wild herds, these are neglected horses that aren’t handled or cared for languishing in back-40s, although since that area has little food, the back 40s are back-400s. Sad, low quality horses passed their prime and utterly neglected. This was in the early 2000s.
Got you. We were talking past each other.

So many choices!

C121788C-3592-4B82-B4EA-E026F8CFF593.png
2D2F2228-A85C-49B4-9718-9B741D2A0C8D.png

@rookhawk that horse meat in coconut milk sounds quite interesting!

Anyone else remember the uproar a few years back when people found out that horse meat was being used in the Ikea meatballs?

@rookhawk that horse meat in coconut milk sounds quite interesting!

Anyone else remember the uproar a few years back when people found out that horse meat was being used in the Ikea meatballs?

The IKEA meatball almost makes going to IKEA worth it. It’s not a good meatball in the universe of meatballs but it is definitely the shiny ray of hope in an IKEA trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg